What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Footy Show origins

Knight87

Juniors
I was curious to know: when did the Sunday Footy Show begin? What was it like when it first started out? The earliest I can remember watching it from was '97 (SL year), but I don't know if it had been around earlier than that. I remember that the Sunday Footy Show was very different back then, in comparison to today (eg no jokes, no mucking around). I remember the set was just dark brown in the background. Funniest moment was in '98 when they were interviewing (via satellite) the head of New Zealand Rugby League (some old guy who appeared to be in his 60s or so), and he got angry at Fatty and Sterlo and kept correcting them throughout the interview. heheheheh! Gary Freeman's face looked like a stunned mullet

leaguerules

Juniors
im pretty sure it was the same time as the thursday show started my memories of it i was around 9/10 yrs old is they always had the pass the ball competition with the footy players which i loved.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I thought 1992.

I remember back in 2005, they were saying 10 "years of the NRL fotty show", which made it one year after the AFL footy show. I said to myself "This si crap, are they doing this to try and make the AFL look as if they went first?"

That was crap, I remember it on Sunday mornings with Vautin, Sterlo, Blocker and Ron Casey.

They even did one skit with Ron Casey taking part in some sort of (early 90's rap) song, where he did the chorus of "Hit Me, Hit Me", which was satirising him for punching Normie Rowe on Ray Martin's Midday show.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah I reckon it was 1992.

I remember it was ran just after Sportsworld Ch 7. I used to watch that with Graham Hughes and Roy Masters and I think the Moose.

I know they definately had it in 1993, and they had a studio audience. There was a "pass the ball" competition which Ian Maurie or Ken Suttcliffe hosted.

bluey

Bench
Guys i used to watch the moose and his bench on, The Controversy Corner every Sunday early 80s

Latest posts