What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 14

deal.with.it

Juniors
The clue is in the name of the two leagues,Yes it's two divisions....as for funding that's for the 20 clubs in the league's to decide how the TV money is split up..good luck getting it split equally though..SL1 clubs will want the lion share of the money...like always

Then why is SL2 a “Super League” if it’s actually second division.

How does it differ to the current arrangement of the top two tiers?

As CC Roosters said, maybe a few of us are over thinking things. It just doesn’t seem clear as to how it would work.

adamkungl

Immortal

Because the whole idea is a half arsed way to try and have one foot in P&R and one foot in licencing, but actually will achieve neither effectively.

Because of this I am certain this is what they will go with.

roughyedspud

Coach

As CC Roosters said, maybe a few of us are over thinking things. It just doesn’t seem clear as to how it would work.

Of course being rugby league fans we get hung up over Semantecs!!

Its 20 teams split over 2 leagues with P&R between the two....who gives a f**k what it's called lol

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Your over thinking it I think. It's pretty well a premiership-championship relationship with promotion and relegation except restricted to 2 divisions of 10 teams. Access to the top 20 would and should be controlled by licensing reviewed every 3? years imo

That's a pretty good idea.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Because the whole idea is a half arsed way to try and have one foot in P&R and one foot in licencing, but actually will achieve neither effectively.

Because of this I am certain this is what they will go with.

I would imagine as the SL becomes more international they are looking for a way to separate it from the English system and allow other North American and European bids come in at 'SL 2' level - which will, I assume be a professional league, instead of starting in the English League 1.

deluded pom?

Coach

The only thing I could possibly see different is if SL 2 is completely full time. This would mean the SL 1 teams giving up some of their money. I won’t hold my breath.

deal.with.it

Juniors
The only thing I could possibly see different is if SL 2 is completely full time. This would mean the SL 1 teams giving up some of their money. I won’t hold my breath.

Ok so the plan is to have 20 full time teams across 2 divisions. If team 21 wants to enter, how do they?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

From memory the current SL clubs get £1.95m? each so reducing to 10 teams in the top tier gives nearly £4m to redistribute. Now the tricky bit, to make SL more elite and lucrative in the player market (SL v NRL v rugby) there needs to be some sort of a boost for those top 10 ten teams. So let's say divide £2m between them for an additional £0.2m. Now I think I read that the championship had maybe £4m between the 12 teams, so again being reduced to 10 and we have £6m between 10 teams. enough for some to be full time that can bring in more non-central revenue but maybe not all in the division. The key then is increasing revenue through side French and North American tv deals by inclusion of Toulouse, Toronto, American franchise etc.... I would expect other revenue growth to be a big focus of whatever corporate structure the clubs come up with in the end.

deal.with.it

Juniors
From memory the current SL clubs get £1.95m? each so reducing to 10 teams in the top tier gives nearly £4m to redistribute. Now the tricky bit, to make SL more elite and lucrative in the player market (SL v NRL v rugby) there needs to be some sort of a boost for those top 10 ten teams. So let's say divide £2m between them for an additional £0.2m. Now I think I read that the championship had maybe £4m between the 12 teams, so again being reduced to 10 and we have £6m between 10 teams. enough for some to be full time that can bring in more non-central revenue but maybe not all in the division. The key then is increasing revenue through side French and North American tv deals by inclusion of Toulouse, Toronto, American franchise etc.... I would expect other revenue growth to be a big focus of whatever corporate structure the clubs come up with in the end.

Agree they need to find new revenue streams, but you cannot have some teams full time and others part time

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It will be 20 full-time teams otherwise they may as well leave it as is.

There maybe some things we don't know also. There maybe discussions with more North American franchises and broadcasters plus maybe a French broadcaster also.