What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Crowds 2012

hutch

First Grade
Round 1

leeds v hull kr - 15343

widnes v wakefield - 8120

london v st helens - 4924

salford v castleford - 5242

bradford v catalans - 10610

hull fc v warrington - 12710

wigan v huddersfield - 16771

not bad crowds considering the horrible weather. londons crowd was good, best ive seen from them in a while!

WireMan

Bench
Some good crowds there.

I would of thought that Widnes crowd will be about the average for the year, with some bumper crowds when the three big rivals come along.

The weather was horrible though and would of put people of. So many of the games involved driving over the pennines which is not nice in winter.

You would hope Bradfords would go up a bit when they play a team with away fans, and half the ground isn't closed due to snow. So maybe a 12500 average possibly higher there.

All in all a good start.

WireMan

Bench
widnes' crowd was great!

Yup, they should hold that for the year. It would be inflated a bit due to it being the first game. Agaisnt Yorkshire clubs/Salford, London and the French you would expect about 7kish on a normal day.

When Wire, Wigan and Stains turn up it will be close to a sell out.

As they start to get better the average crowd shouldgo upto about the 9 - 10k mark.

Good stuff.

docbrown

Coach
So apparently Week 1 was the highest rated opening round on Sky TV with the Widnes match outrating all games last year except for the Grand Final.

hutch

First Grade
ROUND 2

(home teams first)

St Helens 38 - Salford 10 - 15537

Wigan 20 - Leeds 6 - 15370

Castleford 12 - Bradford 12 - 8054

Huddersfield 66 - Widnes 6 - 8869

Warrington 50 - London 10 - 10834

Hull KR 22 - Wakefield 10 - 8612

Catalans - Hull FC - postponed

some great crowds again and apparently record tv ratings again!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
A stab at round 3

Bradford V Wigan- 14k. Could be higher on the back of both sides winning and a good day
Catalans V Cas- 10k. Unsure
Giants V Wire- 8.5k
Hull V Broncos- 10.5k
HKR V Saints- 8.8k
Widnes V Salford- 6.5k

Didgi

What are the Giants' average crowds? On the form of both teams I'd hope for closer to 12k, and maybe 9.5 for KR v Saints - maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Teddyboy

First Grade
A stab at round 3

Bradford V Wigan- 14k. Could be higher on the back of both sides winning and a good day
Catalans V Cas- 10k. Unsure
Giants V Wire- 8.5k
Hull V Broncos- 10.5k
HKR V Saints- 8.8k
Widnes V Salford- 6.5k

I think Hull's KC stadium doesn't do Hull's support any justice,same as Wigans ground.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hull KR's ground capacity has been reduced this season. I think the maximum it can hold is between 7.5k to 8k.
Are you sure? The planned stadium work hasn't received the required funding yet, so there isn't any reason for them to move the temporary stand. Also, I'm pretty sure the temporary stand is being moved to the other end, so there shouldn't be any loss in capacity even when the construction is underway? I haven't heard anything about reduced capacity although I might be wrong.

The Clan

Juniors
Just to avoid confusion the Wakefield vs HKR game was at Wakefields Belle Vue Stadium

Also, the opening round 1 game of Widnes Vs Wakefield had a TV audience that outstripped every game last season, I don't know if the Sts vSalford game did this as well or if some people have got the two confused.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Just to avoid confusion the Wakefield vs HKR game was at Wakefields Belle Vue Stadium

Also, the opening round 1 game of Widnes Vs Wakefield had a TV audience that outstripped every game last season, I don't know if the Sts vSalford game did this as well or if some people have got the two confused.

My mistake. That's a great crowd for Wakefield, I just assumed it was at hull.

deluded pom?

Coach
Are you sure? The planned stadium work hasn't received the required funding yet, so there isn't any reason for them to move the temporary stand. Also, I'm pretty sure the temporary stand is being moved to the other end, so there shouldn't be any loss in capacity even when the construction is underway? I haven't heard anything about reduced capacity although I might be wrong.

The golf stand at Caravan Park has been condemned and won't be moving to the other end of the ground therefore the capacity has been reduced to 8,500 until their fairy Godmother comes along and gives them some money to begin building the mythical north stand. Hence the reason to take the home derby game to the KC.

deluded pom?

Coach
That won't happen, virtually no domestic sports leagues are broadcast on FTA in the UK. Hopefully it will mean increased coverage and an improved TV deal in the long term though.

The only one I can think of is the RU's Aviva (is it still called that?) Premiership on ITV4. This is where the Championship games should be. National coverage to anyone with freeview or satellite and there can't be that many without them now. ITV4 shows plenty of sport and I reckon a Thursday night RL game would fit the bill.

Latest posts