What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely not - Did Eddie fake his death

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
Its a TV show R69, simple as that taking it as seriously as to be "offended" is downright childish and pathetic.

Disagree
For many people in the world Eddie Guerrero is a hero and when they heard the news of his passing they would be devastated. Some of them may still be today. And I have no problem with that. For many people you grow up watching these guys for years and years, like I have and when you find out suddenly one of them is dead it does hurt a bit. These guys are heroes too many, not everyone likes league or tennis or badminton, for some WWE is still their "favourite sport or hobbie".

Too find out that you had played with someones emotions and Eddie was to say still be alive, well I would not be offended but my respect level for the WWE would drop. Genius storyline or not but , from an ethical standpoint it would be at an all time low.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
Its a TV show R69, simple as that taking it as seriously as to be "offended" is downright childish and pathetic.

But this has gone outside the TV Show in my opinion. Hell someone could make the debate the Knights are just a rugby league team. Would you be upset if touch wood one of their players was to die or it to say he did it the news?

then how would you feel say you found out the news reporter reported wrong? Youd probably be a bit angry at that reporter for putting you through those emotions

bender

Juniors
aussies1st said:
The difference with Eddie's death and the Taker/Stone Cold one is the latter were done in wrestling hence they wouldn't let a person die. Eddie was outside of wrestling.

I heard from a fairly reliable source that Paul Bearer may be still alive and that the WWE may have faked his death.:?

Iafeta

Referee
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Disagree
For many people in the world Eddie Guerrero is a hero and when they heard the news of his passing they would be devastated. Some of them may still be today. And I have no problem with that. For many people you grow up watching these guys for years and years, like I have and when you find out suddenly one of them is dead it does hurt a bit. These guys are heroes too many, not everyone likes league or tennis or badminton, for some WWE is still their "favourite sport or hobbie".

Too find out that you had played with someones emotions and Eddie was to say still be alive, well I would not be offended but my respect level for the WWE would drop. Genius storyline or not but , from an ethical standpoint it would be at an all time low.

Amen. Amen.

When I was a kid I grew up watching Hulk Hogan, Jake Roberts, Mr Perfect, Andre the Giant, Big Boss Man, Randy Savage, Bruno Sammartino - I can't begin to imagine how I would have felt if A: they died B: They came out and said it was just a storyline.

I mean sure, at that time it was all a bit hush hush its all still real, but still the ethics are much the same - kids grow up idolising Batista or Eddie Guerrero or Bret Hart or Chris Benoit or Rey Mysterio and genuinely identify and believe in who they are, they don't want to know its all pretend. Its like telling a kid Santa Clause is dead, and then two months later him being alive again because its all make believe.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sir Knight82 said:

the character in WWE is TV yes, the man Eddie Guerrero is as said, a hero to many people, through his battles through his life, he as a man not a character such as the undertaker, is looked up to by many of his country men, many of which openly wept and morned his death.

Undertaker has been killed many times on air in a way, however the man Mark Calloway was never said to have been killed

it would be Aiken to a neighbours star ACTOR, not character, being reported as dead, just so the show can boost ratings with a stunning return... It crosses most moral boundaries and whats more is its a cheap, pathetic ratings boost attempt. You are no longer toying with peoples love for a fictional character but rather a real life man and role model, it would be crossing the line in a big way imo, the lowest low

thankfully as said, its not a chance of happening, sad as it is Eddie is gone. Killing off a character and bring him back is fine, they are non fictional characters hence the attachment by fans will to a degree be largely no fictional, killing the man behind it would be toying with real emotions and thats NOT what wrestling should be about imo

Eelementary

Post Whore
News to me...I didn't even realise the WWE HAD any morals left at all...

But here's a scoop - they can do whatever the hell they want.

IF it is a work...Who's going to stop them? McMahon has more money than God, and, let's face it - professional wrestling these days is merely an athletic soap opera. It's wrestling ENTERTAINMENT, and, while I don't entertain the notion that killing off a man only to have him return proving he wasn't at all dead as being entertainment, by watching the WWE and its shows you're essentially giving them license to entertain and sometimes shock you.

Raider_69 said:
the character in WWE is TV yes, the man Eddie Guerrero is as said, a hero to many people, through his battles through his life, he as a man not a character such as the undertaker, is looked up to by many of his country men, many of which openly wept and morned his death.

Undertaker has been killed many times on air in a way, however the man Mark Calloway was never said to have been killed

it would be Aiken to a neighbours star ACTOR, not character, being reported as dead, just so the show can boost ratings with a stunning return... It crosses most moral boundaries and whats more is its a cheap, pathetic ratings boost attempt. You are no longer toying with peoples love for a fictional character but rather a real life man and role model, it would be crossing the line in a big way imo, the lowest low

thankfully as said, its not a chance of happening, sad as it is Eddie is gone. Killing off a character and bring him back is fine, they are non fictional characters hence the attachment by fans will to a degree be largely no fictional, killing the man behind it would be toying with real emotions and thats NOT what wrestling should be about imo

Its a scripted TV show. There maybe fake punch and kick.

Buts a scripted tv show.

scripted tv show.

Is it really that difficult?

As long as they dont break the law they can do anything that they wont.

Azkatro

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
And another thing, why the **** are people saying they'd be offended.

Grow the **** up its a TV show, its not real life everything is scripted.

As much as you may enjoy its all make believe punch and kick, wouldnt you be happy the guys alive rather then worm food?
Are you a screw loose? The WWE has faked character deaths in the past, but the key there is character - Eddie Guerrero is Eddie Guerrero. All news reports have said that Eddie Guerrero is dead. Now when the Undertaker died all those times, did they go around reporting that Mark Calloway was dead? No, it was the Undertaker character who was supposedly gone, and of course that was just all part and parcel of what was happening.

What none of you are realising what the implications of faking a death in this way would have been; if they jumped out one week and suddenly said "hey, Eddie's alive and he's beating down Rey Mysterio!" - Vince would have thousands of pending lawsuits on his desk by 9am the following morning. Humans are emotional creatures and if you take advantage of a person's emotions in such an extreme way, it's the equivalent to inflicting damage on that person, which is plenty of weight alone for a lawsuit. Faking a real life death to make money is a certifiable case of fraudulent behaviour, and whoever masterminded such a deed would be in jail for a long time.

As I said before, I'm stunned that so many of you are even subscribing to such a stupid theory.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
Are you a screw loose? The WWE has faked character deaths in the past, but the key there is character - Eddie Guerrero is Eddie Guerrero. All news reports have said that Eddie Guerrero is dead. Now when the Undertaker died all those times, did they go around reporting that Mark Calloway was dead? No, it was the Undertaker character who was supposedly gone, and of course that was just all part and parcel of what was happening.

What none of you are realising what the implications of faking a death in this way would have been; if they jumped out one week and suddenly said "hey, Eddie's alive and he's beating down Rey Mysterio!" - Vince would have thousands of pending lawsuits on his desk by 9am the following morning. Humans are emotional creatures and if you take advantage of a person's emotions in such an extreme way, it's the equivalent to inflicting damage on that person, which is plenty of weight alone for a lawsuit. Faking a real life death to make money is a certifiable case of fraudulent behaviour, and whoever masterminded such a deed would be in jail for a long time.

As I said before, I'm stunned that so many of you are even subscribing to such a stupid theory.

I'm no lawyer...But while I'm sure they could try to sue him, I doubt they'd get very far...

Azkatro said:

I'm not man, I think theres about a 0.0001% chance of this happening as you've said its been reported in mainstream media.

But if they did manage to pull this off it would be a fantastic storyline, wether you liked it or not.

I am sure that Vinnie if he were to do something of this magnitude legally would have all his bases covered.

Iafeta

Referee
Sir Knight82 said:
I'm not man, I think theres about a 0.0001% chance of this happening as you've said its been reported in mainstream media.

But if they did manage to pull this off it would be a fantastic storyline, wether you liked it or not.

I am sure that Vinnie if he were to do something of this magnitude legally would have all his bases covered.

It'd be horsesh!t more like it.

While he may have the lawsuits covered, one of his major stakeholders throughout all this would be public pressure groups - there'd be plenty of admonishment and boycotting of the product, the groups forcing the hands of TV networks until it got to the point of, ironically, being a fatal mistake.

Your saying you wouldnt tune into see the return feuds of latino heat?

Millions of other people would even if you didnt.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Azkatro said:

ive tried explaining this one to these people
none of them seem to get that faking the death of a TV character is entirely different to faking the person behind the character

im glad there at least one (two if you count Iafeta) who can see this