What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

stormbati

Bench
Johns is a nice person a true blue Aussie im getting sick of this politically correct BS been shoved down our throats. Tahu should go back to the island where he came from if he doesnt like our culture. Every aussie speaks like Andy Johns thats how we are.

Obviously don't get out much.

Billy2Slater

Juniors
What a joke, Tahu did the right thing by acting non violently. To say he should have bashed Johns he is bigger blah, blah sets the wrong example to kids and in the real world is called assault.

The OP probably already has the stereotype in his head that Islanders are violent etc why should Tahu perpetuate your ignorant and bigoted stereotypes by hitting Johns?

Took more courage to walk out of the team and cop all this flak then swinging his fist like the Neanderthal in the OP wants.

voltron

Juniors
well thats the argument, that its ok for guys to bag themselves racially

but i dont think its a good thing because it just propagates those words, and continues to associate those words with that particular race/ethnicity.
you dont hear asians call each other chinks, slanty eyed in the media (but then again there arent that many really big asian sports players outside asia)
but you get my drift

voltron

Juniors
i can understand the sentiment from the OP though
its not that you bash the bloke
but you stand up for yourself directly to the guy
not in this indirect way

i guess by taking it out of John's hands to apologise and change
it really irks the sensibilities of people
and to be in John's situation, without a chance to say sorry to the bloke and change, without being directly confronted by a bloke who is a friend and you would hope would be able to air his distress to you
i guess we sympathise with that aspect
and no one likes their dirty laundry out there for everyone to see

tahu dealt with the problem the way he saw fit, and being offended is his own prerogative
for mine, i wish he tried a couple of other avenues first before just walking out

fuggitt

Juniors
"
You belong in one of those redneck, wife beaters, anti gov, white supremacist camps."

au contraire...my wife occasionally likes to go out, get pissed then come back and give me a bit of a floggin every now and then...i dont mind, gives me a nice warm glowing sense of feeling victimised-not unlike a bloke were discussing at present...

In fact Timana TahoooooooBoohooo did exactly what he should of done according to the current ZEITGEIST (crikey did i just think that up??)-
HE WENT AND DOBBED...Took his bat and ball and dobbed to mummy...
Thats now the current metrosexual aussie way of dealing with ishoos when one feels THEY HAVE BEEN WRONGED...
Fckn dobb em in eh...
wankas..

fuggitt

Juniors
You want another example?
who on this board hasnt or knows someone who hasnt been pulled up by the side of the road by Highway Patrol and booked for "speeding"?
on the whole, 20 years ago they'd pull you up see you were on the whole not a bad fella, give you a warning, then off ya go-dealt with nice and quick-there and then-
how is it now?
Your automatically dobbed into the higher state powers so that every one gets there pound of flesh along the way-just like in this stuoid Timana Boohoo saga...

Noa

First Grade
tahu totally refutes the blames of bellar
its kinda dumb lying like that
when it can be so easily found out
doesnt help the cause against racism at all
but i am relieved that they were refuted, words like coon, monkey, n****r are much much worse and seem more premeditated than black C***

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/latest-tahu-racism-row-twist/story-e6frexni-1225880142412

I hadnt seen that when I said the above but I know all about Sol Bellear having grown up near tweed-heads. The comments that he was attributing to Johns didnt ring true to me at all, the fact Bellear is full of sh*t does though.

HevyDevy

Coach
WTF is Bellear trying to achieve by making this sh*t up?

These sorts of accusations are one of the biggest problems with 'race relations' in this country. There seem to be certain factions that don't want a bar of reconciliation - those comments prove it.

boonboon

Juniors
It is interesting though as Johns is being hounded so badly but others such as Meninga (whom the list of horrible behaviour in his past could fill a whole book) make clearly offensive comments about NSW selectors and the QRL do nothing but no one cares. I saw someone write today that Johns should never be the next immortal but that Meninga could be - I dont think either has the behavioural standards to be an immortal and neither should be involved with Rugby League in any official capacity - Johns has just been unlucky that his issues have been made public

Fibroman

First Grade
You want another example?
who on this board hasnt or knows someone who hasnt been pulled up by the side of the road by Highway Patrol and booked for "speeding"?
on the whole, 20 years ago they'd pull you up see you were on the whole not a bad fella, give you a warning, then off ya go-dealt with nice and quick-there and then-
how is it now?
Your automatically dobbed into the higher state powers so that every one gets there pound of flesh along the way-just like in this stuoid Timana Boohoo saga...

Good point. Before the age of political correctness, dobbers and sooks were ostracized in this country. Society had it's own way of sorting problems out.

Cops in the 1980's had the power of discretion and were promoted based on their ability and pure hard work. Along came the Wood Royal Commission and instilled a culture of dobbing your work mate in and going off sick if people around you behaved in a manner you didn't like. It was then deemed to be corrupt to let a driver off with a caution and virtually made it amndatory to issue a ticket to John Citizen for doing 5 kph over the speed limit.

The do gooders constantly cry out for equality between the races , but it is a one way street.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's when the poor old Greek and Italians copped a pizzling with name calling in our community. Guess what? Water off a ducks back. They worked hard, played soccer, had strong family values and completely assimilated into the society. Part of the reason the southern europeans has assimilated so well is they have the ability to laugh at themselves eg. 'Mediterranean Descendants out of Work' and other successful comedy productions. They maintain a sense of humour at all times.

Most of my koori mates share and laugh about aspects of their culture and heritage and use terms like 'playing the black card' with a smile on their faces. There is a minority group out there that still have 'chips on their shoulders' and they are sucking in all the do-gooders in to their wicked web of negativity.

Political correctness is BS. People shound be treated equally down a 2 way street. I didn't see any aboriginal community leaders coming out of the woodwork and getting stuck into Brad Tighe and Maurice Blair after they called a female bar staff member a 'white c..t' in a Penrith hotel a couple of months ago. I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about the incident and would happily sit down with both Tighe and Blair and have a beer with them as long as they get their shout when it was their turn.

Tank30

Juniors
Good point. Before the age of political correctness, dobbers and sooks were ostracized in this country. Society had it's own way of sorting problems out.

Cops in the 1980's had the power of discretion and were promoted based on their ability and pure hard work. Along came the Wood Royal Commission and instilled a culture of dobbing your work mate in and going off sick if people around you behaved in a manner you didn't like. It was then deemed to be corrupt to let a driver off with a caution and virtually made it amndatory to issue a ticket to John Citizen for doing 5 kph over the speed limit.

The do gooders constantly cry out for equality between the races , but it is a one way street.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's when the poor old Greek and Italians copped a pizzling with name calling in our community. Guess what? Water off a ducks back. They worked hard, played soccer, had strong family values and completely assimilated into the society. Part of the reason the southern europeans has assimilated so well is they have the ability to laugh at themselves eg. 'Mediterranean Descendants out of Work' and other successful comedy productions. They maintain a sense of humour at all times.

Most of my koori mates share and laugh about aspects of their culture and heritage and use terms like 'playing the black card' with a smile on their faces. There is a minority group out there that still have 'chips on their shoulders' and they are sucking in all the do-gooders in to their wicked web of negativity.

Political correctness is BS. People shound be treated equally down a 2 way street. I didn't see any aboriginal community leaders coming out of the woodwork and getting stuck into Brad Tighe and Maurice Blair after they called a female bar staff member a 'white c..t' in a Penrith hotel a couple of months ago. I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about the incident and would happily sit down with both Tighe and Blair and have a beer with them as long as they get their shout when it was their turn.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

hellteam

First Grade

Firstly, I can't tell if your first point is serious. Are you condoning police corruption? Beacuse what the Royal Commision in NSW and Fitzgerald Inquiry found in Qld wasn't just that they were letting people off who were speeding 5km over a limit.

Secondly, your point about Greeks is irrelevant. They were immigrants. Aboriginals were not immigrants, they lived here before WE came here and forced them to live like we do. We actually try to kill off their culture by 'assimilating' them. So they can't expected to just 'laugh it off' and 'maintain a sense of humour' can they?

And thirdly, http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/38-political-correctness-gone-mad/

Fibroman

First Grade
Firstly, I can't tell if your first point is serious. Are you condoning police corruption? Beacuse what the Royal Commision in NSW and Fitzgerald Inquiry found in Qld wasn't just that they were letting people off who were speeding 5km over a limit.

Secondly, your point about Greeks is irrelevant. They were immigrants. Aboriginals were not immigrants, they lived here before WE came here and forced them to live like we do. We actually try to kill off their culture by 'assimilating' them. So they can't expected to just 'laugh it off' and 'maintain a sense of humour' can they?

And thirdly, http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/38-political-correctness-gone-mad/

All the Wood Royal Commission did was force the corruption into the promotion system, sacked a handful of corrupt cops and sent hundreds out on pensions at the tax payers expense.

Do we force aboriginals to live like 'us'?. Twits like you that continue to use the 'them' and 'us' are the do-gooders that drive the wedge into reconcilliation. FYI, there were Greek and Italians that were born in Australia that copped heaps from the other kids at school. Not their fault their parents immigrated here.

There's nothing stopping any indigenous Australians from packing up, moving to a national park and living like their traditional elders, and they would even have the added bonus of Government assistance in terms of financial, medical and other things that there ancestors didn't have.