What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking the two points when the other team has a player sent to the sin bin. Yay or Nay?

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
From the games I've watched its happened twice now. Roosters last week and the Sharks this week where an opposing player is sent to the bin and the team receiving the penalty has taken the two. On both occasion neither team really got back in a good position to attack while they had the advantage and both teams lost. Also If there has been any other Sin Bins what was the result?

My point being if your only going to get about 4 sets with the advantage why throw one of them away when your already in a good attacking position?

I would always think the best option would be to keep the pressure on in the opposing teams half and keep them down there as long as possible. Taking the 2 just puts you back in you own half.

Anyone else noticed this? Thoughts?

moffla

Bench
Depends on the situation of the game obviously but for last night's example I thought it was the right choice given the score (mind you I was watching a replay and already knew what happened after).

With that said, dare I say a team like the storm or cowboys would have also taken the two, gone back, got through their sets and got another try before that advantage ran out.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Depends on the situation of the game obviously but for last night's example I thought it was the right choice given the score (mind you I was watching a replay and already knew what happened after).

With that said, dare I say a team like the storm or cowboys would have also taken the two, gone back, got through their sets and got another try before that advantage ran out.

Definitely dependent on the situation. i Still thought last night the sharks should have kept the pressure on especially running into that headwind and how difficult it was proving to get up the other end of the field. Did Dugan drop that one over the line while they had the advantage? cant remember.

id be interested to keep a track of it and see over the season which option proves more effective in terms of wins/losses plus if a team does take the two how often they also score a try and visa versa.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
You'r right it is a little strange because it gives the defensive line a rest with a man out.
I suppose though there's no guarantee of scoring points vs taking the 2 plus getting the ball again.

OldPanther

Coach
From the games I've watched its happened twice now. Roosters last week and the Sharks this week where an opposing player is sent to the bin and the team receiving the penalty has taken the two. On both occasion neither team really got back in a good position to attack while they had the advantage and both teams lost. Also If there has been any other Sin Bins what was the result?

My point being if your only going to get about 4 sets with the advantage why throw one of them away when your already in a good attacking position?

I would always think the best option would be to keep the pressure on in the opposing teams half and keep them down there as long as possible. Taking the 2 just puts you back in you own half.

Anyone else noticed this? Thoughts?

Panthers did it against the Eels and won.

Pommy

Coach
Watching the game last night I couldn’t believe they chose to do it.
To be honest I’m not a fan of it happening at all before about 60 mins.

Vee

First Grade
I like Sterlo’s therory, “Do whatever your opponents would not want.”

AJB1102

First Grade
Sharkies have a good knack for taking the 2 at the wrong time and losing without bringing sin bins into the conversation.

But they're particularly bad lately when they find themselves a man up. They seem to think they're the ones that need to waste time.

Frustrating bunch of merkins.

Vee

First Grade
Sharkies have a good knack for taking the 2 at the wrong time and losing without bringing sin bins into the conversation.

But they're particularly bad lately when they find themselves a man up. They seem to think they're the ones that need to waste time.

Frustrating bunch of merkins.
Yeah but who cares about them?

AJB1102

First Grade
Yeah but who cares about them?

As a Sharks fan, I do.

Given they were mentioned in the OP I thought it fit.

Why did you feel the need to comment? Do you care just a little bit too? hehehe I fink ya miiiight!

billygilmore

Juniors
I like Sterlo’s therory, “Do whatever your opponents would not want.”

Grand final, behind by 1 point, have penalty in front of the sticks, 30 secs to go, look over at opposing captain he gives you that, yeah man take the 2 look. Damn it Sterlo said don’t do want they want you to do

Vee

First Grade
As a Sharks fan, I do.

Given they were mentioned in the OP I thought it fit.

Why did you feel the need to comment? Do you care just a little bit too? hehehe I fink ya miiiight!
Don’t flatter (no pun intended) yourself.

Vee

First Grade
Grand final, behind by 1 point, have penalty in front of the sticks, 30 secs to go, look over at opposing captain he gives you that, yeah man take the 2 look. Damn it Sterlo said don’t do want they want you to do
But what do they really want?