What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team Changes

getsmarty

Immortal
not rocket science mary! aitken to centre 100%

Agree... Mann seems to be on the outer and constantly shifted from position to position. I think the club see him as a "Triangle "Player or a player who can fill a number of positions from the bench. After being our leading try scorer last year, Mann IMHO should have been included in the backline somewhere.
I hope we don't lose him, but I am sure there are a number of clubs who would be willing to offer him a starting spot.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Just happened to be sent a you tube excerpt from Roy and HG's commentary on SOO II, 2008. As the game is about to start, HG acknowledges and Roy agrees that QLD have an advantage because they have selected players in their usual positions - HG continues, "left hand side players on the left side and right hand side players on the right side". Roy adds, "It's just commonsense".

So if we are talking Aitken back in and Nene out on poor form (knowing Mary will stick with McCrone so no spot for Mann in the halves) how about Mann as the left winger and Nighty to the right? If Roy can label this sort of selection commonsense, why can't Mary?

Dorsai

Juniors
I firmly believe we need to think forward. Dufty at fullback, Dugan to the centre and field at half. If these guys don't get a chance to play first grade sooner rather than when it is the only option why bother having and developing junior players?

We have no confirmed fullback next year. Keeping Dugan at fullback without trying someone else for next year sets whoever takes the spot up for failure. I love gypsy as a player but super coach can't be considering a permanent move next year for him to fullback surely.

Field at half gets him experience before hunt comes and then moulds him in to a great sub.

Nothing ventured nothing risked seems to be super coaches motto.

I firmly believe we need to think forward. Dufty at fullback, Dugan to the centre and field at half. If these guys don't get a chance to play first grade sooner rather than when it is the only option why bother having and developing junior players?

We have no confirmed fullback next year. Keeping Dugan at fullback without trying someone else for next year sets whoever takes the spot up for failure. I love gypsy as a player but super coach can't be considering a permanent move next year for him to fullback surely.

Field at half gets him experience before hunt comes and then moulds him in to a great sub.

Nothing ventured nothing risked seems to be super coaches motto.

And Mann?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
In my opinion Mann should play in the halves for the remainder of the season with Dufty to fullback and Dugan at right centre or on the right wing. Aitken had huge problems in defence at right centre so let's hope the coaching staff have sorted this out for the game on Friday night.

I can see what you are saying possm but Nene is also to blame with his defence.
The problem is that they dont move as one.
Alway one up one back or visa versa.
Because even with Aitken out we have had the same defensive weakness. Imo

possm

Coach

You are right. But why is it so? Is it because they are following coaches instructions or because both Milne and Aitken are not able to carry out such instructions. If I remember right - and I'm getting older by the day - Nightingale and Aitken had the same problems and in one game, I think against the Eels in round 2, Nightingale and Lafai had the same problem. I put it down to the up and in defensive plan.

I really hope Aiken plays well today and with Mary has found a way to avoid defensive problems on the right hand edge.

possm

Coach
I agree, and so let's hope Dean Young - our defence coach - gets right on to it and solves the problem. It's been there all year and most of last year.

I agree jonesy
The other problem with mcdonald is for a tall guy he will not catch the ball on the full.
I would bring in dufty.
But knowing mary he will probably go with kfl
One of the reasons we bought McDonald was so he could catch cross field kicks by out jumping the defence and scoring from attacking kicks.
Have you seen him contest those types of kicks?
He is terrible and doesn't even come close to catching them.
Given that form, it is little wonder that he will not defend opposition kicks.
I think the guy is a powerful ball runner but his general play leaves a lot to be desired.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
One of the reasons we bought McDonald was so he could catch cross field kicks by out jumping the defence and scoring from attacking kicks.
I think the guy is a powerful ball runner but his general play leaves a lot to be desired.

Spot on dennis

2010Dragons

Bench

Early in the season, In another thread I did write that Nene Mcdonald looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
The guys in this forum didn't agree and now everyone can see Nene is not up to NRL level.

Can anyone remember Nene catching the ball and then making a sprint run this year? NEVER !
He has the highest error count in the team 21 errors.
He has the size and the height but no ticker.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Let's hope that playing against his old club tonight, he can put in a good performance!

Dorsai

Juniors
And Mann?
Mann can play well, no doubt. I would prefer to see him on the wing opposite nightingale or off the bench as an impact player.
Dufty is a fullback. That's what he plays. I think we owe it to him to give him the chance to get experience. They obviously rate him good enough to extend his contract. Give him the chance.
I am just not sold on Mann at fullback. He is a bit of a thorn in the side (pun intended) as to exactly where to play him. I do think as an impact player he would be very good. Speed off the bench when the big men are tiring

Latest posts