What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I'm looking at this game as another hoodoo to cast aside, we've only won there about 3 times haven't we?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm looking at this game as another hoodoo to cast aside, we've only won there about 3 times haven't we?

We've had a few over the years. Canberra is a tough win for any team as its a one team town and can be ball freezingly cold mid winter or stinking hot in summer. I don't think its an extra special hoodoo for us like Perth or Wollongong.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Well that might be for the Chooks in Sydney so will hardly be a disgrace if it happens.

Geez I know old habits die hard but can we hold off death riding the team for another week or so? I'm actually really enjoying having something to be positive about.
Death riding?? thats probably my FIRST post about us losing. If you check my post history you'll see I correctly tipped us to win both games. Reply what you wrote above to the actual 'death riders'.

Roosters are a good side and I agree that it would be hardly a disgrace.

sup42

Juniors
Happy with whoever Kearney goes with.

He obviously has his preferred side and they are breaking old habits following Kearneys coaching.

We concede ground through the middle against big forwards....but clearly we counter that with the guys Kearney bought to play a mobile fast counter.

Ken continues to make fantastic meters...which sets the roll on for mobile types like Luke...Pulu...formerly Papalii, Lisone, HARRIS out wider....which means our middle runners Blair, Sao, and Gavet do not need as urgently to bend the line...rather their role is speed of the play the ball...win that all important ruck.

One of our weaknesses against the Titans was excessive off loading yet all that unpredictability is clearly dangerous for the opposition.

What I'm trying to say is the Warriors only need to continue to play to their strengths and be more measured....rather than trying to play like other NRL sides...or let their love of freedom lose sight of the basic jobs in a game.

The balance is a winner....we are fast...fit...dynamic...and tough.

Stick to that stuff....keep blowing other teams off the park with high intensity.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
As incredibly fit as Corvo has us, and the fact it has allowed us to play a more up-tempo brand...it absolutely flabbergasts me that it's now clear we weren't fit in previous years. I always said it must be our mental fitness, given all 16 teams who train full time and are adults should be at a good level. Massive indictment on whomever has been in charge - Carl Jennings, Wiki (?) etc.

vvvrulz

Coach
As incredibly fit as Corvo has us, and the fact it has allowed us to play a more up-tempo brand...it absolutely flabbergasts me that it's now clear we weren't fit in previous years. I always said it must be our mental fitness, given all 16 teams who train full time and are adults should be at a good level. Massive indictment on whomever has been in charge - Carl Jennings, Wiki (?) etc.

This.

As much as I love how 2018 has started, where the hell was all this for so many years?
It's just basic common sense, get them fit.

JJ

Immortal
Happy with whoever Kearney goes with.

He obviously has his preferred side and they are breaking old habits following Kearneys coaching.

We concede ground through the middle against big forwards....but clearly we counter that with the guys Kearney bought to play a mobile fast counter.

Ken continues to make fantastic meters...which sets the roll on for mobile types like Luke...Pulu...formerly Papalii, Lisone, HARRIS out wider....which means our middle runners Blair, Sao, and Gavet do not need as urgently to bend the line...rather their role is speed of the play the ball...win that all important ruck.

One of our weaknesses against the Titans was excessive off loading yet all that unpredictability is clearly dangerous for the opposition.

What I'm trying to say is the Warriors only need to continue to play to their strengths and be more measured....rather than trying to play like other NRL sides...or let their love of freedom lose sight of the basic jobs in a game.

The balance is a winner....we are fast...fit...dynamic...and tough.

Stick to that stuff....keep blowing other teams off the park with high intensity.

Great post - agree with it all - except the last line - hate to be a negative Nellie, but we've hardly been blowing teams off the park - but as I've said elsewhere, we are 2-0 and 2 pts are 2pts might as well bank them now! But my optimism remains cautious until we play some better teams.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He's the reason we lose - the evidence is clear.
Mannerings definitely not a loser by any stretch of the imagination but you just never know with our team. When we go to improve it, we sometimes ruin it. Be good to see him back but the boys have done amazing without to be honest.

Blair

Coach

One of Cappy's achievements as head coach was breaking the 'never win in Canberra' vibe. We knocked them over in both '14 & '15. We put 50+ on them in the former, but had (Matulino?) off the field injured and, with us down to 12 men (IIRC), Canberra raced in three converted tries in the last five minutes. 56-18.

Great win, but we missed the finals by 13 in our for and against!

Ive often thought this but wouldnt they be under instruction from the coaching staff

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
As most have said...very happy with 2 from 2, although still plenty to work on.
One concern for me is that we'e only had one forward who made over 100m in both games - Tohu Harris. A few players made over 100m in one match, but most forwards have hit between the 60-90m a match.
Against the Rabits and Titans this isn't too much of an issue, but as it has been mentioned, there's been some periods where we seem clock off for 15-20 min and don't really put the foot down and grind it out.
Raiders have a big forward pack, I think we're gunna need 3 or more forwards making big meters for us this week and I'm just not sure who that's gunna be...

vvvrulz

Coach
One of Cappy's achievements as head coach was breaking the 'never win in Canberra' vibe. We knocked them over in both '14 & '15. We put 50+ on them in the former, but had (Matulino?) off the field injured and, with us down to 12 men (IIRC), Canberra raced in three converted tries in the last five minutes. 56-18.

Great win, but we missed the finals by 13 in our for and against!

One of the few times post Cleary we really blew a team off the park.

sup42

Juniors
Great post - agree with it all - except the last line - hate to be a negative Nellie, but we've hardly been blowing teams off the park - but as I've said elsewhere, we are 2-0 and 2 pts are 2pts might as well bank them now! But my optimism remains cautious until we play some better teams.
Yeah Sorry I might have had a Richard Fale moment there....

Reactions: JJ
VODAFONE WARRIORS V CANBERRA RAIDERS
GIO Stadium, Canberra
3.00pm, Saturday, March 24, 2018

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)
2 DAVID FUSITU’A
3 PETA HIKU
4 SOLOMONE KATA
5 KEN MAUMALO
6 BLAKE GREEN
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 JAMES GAVET
9 ISSAC LUKE
10 ADAM BLAIR
11 LEIVAHA PULU
12 TOHU HARRIS
13 LIGI SAO
Interchange:
14 JAZZ TEVAGA
15 AGNATIUS PAASI
16 SAM LISONE
17 BUNTY AFOA
18 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD
20 ANTHONY GELLING
21 CHRIS SATAE
22 MASON LINO

Cold Roses

Juniors
Good changes. Pulu has the lateral movement needed for edge defence. Tevega isn't a good Dummy Half imo, but he will bring an upgrade in physicality in defence over Cook if he gets game time. Hopefully the poor game by Paasi in reserves last week was a one off. He definitely brings a hard running edge that we need against the Raiders.