What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v the bloody Panthers

Blair

Coach
If we're going to put Tui on the bench at least take a page out of the All Blacks substitution playbook with guys like SBW and Barrett and inject him around the 50 minute mark or earlier. They were destroying sides with their impact benchies in the RWC cup finals.

I thought, by popular sentiment, the moderators of this forum have passed an edict not to mention All Black and Warriors current coaching and management in the same post?

ozbash

Referee
Sort of.... Lance played every position in the backs...
Seems something the Warriors like to do, pick a player to be a super utility..

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Excellent (Rhetorical) question

Oh no it wasn't rhetorical, I wanted you to spend a few paragraphs bagging McFailden out!

Top six is now probably gone, and to me that = no pass mark for the season. As I've said before, with 14 NZ-based games, the Origin period advantage and no Eels, we should be hosting a final.

This week and the next determine whether we make the 8. 'Four point' games if you believe in those.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sort of.... Lance played every position in the backs...
Seems something the Warriors like to do, pick a player to be a super utility..

I don't think Lance is half the talent that Tui is, however. Lance got a good run in the halves in his early career, his first 3 seasons were almost exclusively in the halves. Wouldn't Tui love that sort of solidarity, even if it was at prop? (don't get any ideas, McFail).

Rich102

Staff member
It's really interesting you call Tui a myth. I'm not disagreeing with you either - I think it's a strong subject to argue over.

What I will say is this: Tui has played 42 NRL games. He has played every position in the backline, as well as being a bench utility. He has been swapped positions (ie week to week) SIXTEEN times. His longest stint in a position is 7 weeks (fullback last year) then six at halfback to end the year. He trialled at centre this year, then went to the wing for rd one, went back to fullback after RTS went down, then was a winger, then was dropped to the bench midweek and it all culminated in him not being subbed on in a match until golden point. All whilst our coach and CEO repeatedly tell us his future is in the halves.

So um, who's the real myth?

Good points. And I think it strengthens my argument.
If Tui convinced the coach he was a standout in any one position I think it would be his to keep.
He hasn't! Capstick is struggling to keep his job; he is not going to take risks. Whatever we may think of him as a coach he sees more of the players during the week than we do.
Tui has the skills to win a game; he also has the lapses to lose one.

As for selections I disagree moving Fus, the best fullback we have, to make was for Tui.
As I disagree with moving players around during a game.
If Tui is a better wing than Maumalo then the position should be his but I recall him playing wing a couple of rounds ago and making a pigs ear of it.
Maybe Tui will become a team regular but until he makes a position his own it won't happen.

I can't see how either Capstick or Doyle can promise Tui a start in the halves next year. One may not be here and the other doesn't pick the team.

JJ

Immortal
They probably have - then next year's slow start will be because RTS is returning from injury and we have a player new to the halves - always good to have a strategy in place

vvvrulz

Coach
If Crappy was serious about giving Lolohea some proper game time, he would have implemented something similar to what we did in 2008 when Rovelli would come in off the bench into the halves and shuffle Fein to hooker and Hendo off.

Lolo could sub in, TL can jump into lock/back row doing Tevaga's current role.

TL gets 80, Lolo gets 40 at least, save a bench spot.

sounds fair but TL has been killing it the last few games and its very rare for the warriors that both halves play very well in the same game.

Only option i think might work is Tui coming in after 30 for a prop and Manu shifting to the middle??? Fus to the wing and Tui at the back with a roving commision.

Benek

Juniors
This is a weird situation and we obviously can't all agree on what the best solution is, so it's no surprise Cappy hasn't gotten it right yet either.

But isn't it awesome that we have the problem of too much talent in certain positions and we're struggling to find ways to get them all on the field? When's the last time the Warriors had outside back depth like that?

For so many years we had one guy like Manu get hurt and suddenly we're exposed. But with guys like Aysh being a pleasant surprise and Fusi stepping up big time it feels like a distant memory.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
All I want to see for the rest of the year is the same side. If this is the best side (and we have to presume it is) then barring injury, it gets kept each week. Bodene in for Jazz, then that's us. McFail has decided that's our best 17 and they need to be the one given the responsibility for getting us to the finals, and as high up the ladder as possible. And Tui needs to get injected into the game more.

Any more tinkering and I think I'll go all Liam Neeson 'Taken' style on McFail.

jaseg

Juniors
Cappy be trolling.

I actually really like Fusitua as a centre, but whaat? Yeah, let's keep Maumalo in the starting lineup and dump Ayshford to the bench... that makes sense... totally the best use of our resources...

lol

(at least he got the Tui memo... A MONTH LATE)

JJ

Immortal
wow - Ayshford to the bench - didn't see that coming - must have a few work ons...

FFS, he adds nothing from the bench and has been solid at centre...

I am kind of speechless - to be honest I'd prefer they lost all the rest, so we can at least try and get a coach with a clue