What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible news, Lance Thompson passes away overnight

Life's Good

Coach
Yeh Big Ginger...sad to lose a Dragons legend who was a true Dragon player at heart..always played for the club, fans and jersey. It was sad to see they could not fit him into the team or cap as he deserved to be a one club player.
I know this may sound weird but I remember him by as nearly always last coming out on the field..but only walking initially with his white hand towel wiping his face and hands. It was like he was savouring the feeling of coming out of the sheds..not sprinting onto the field.
RIP .. but right now we gotta feel for his immediate family. Sad times!
I was lucky my season ticket was near the players tunnel & you have brought back a very vivid memory of cheering the players on. In 96 we were up against it all season but with Thommo always giving 100% you never would have thought so. Sad day.

axl rose

Bench
Still a school boy in 1996 and played in a GF? really admired his and the Saints teams courage that year. Whereas some moron chose to sit on the sideline and do nothing there was a red head kid ripping in and having a go, and so it continued through his whole career. RIP Lance.

getsmarty

Immortal
lance-thompson_20180824.jpg

DRAGONS

Tributes flow for 'Thommo'
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Fri 24 Aug 2018, 03:25 PM

The NRL is in mourning following the death of former Dragons and Sharks forward Lance Thompson.

A wholehearted second-rower, who made his debut as a teenager for St George in 1995, he played in the grand final the following year, as well as St George Illawarra's dramatic loss to Melbourne in the 1999 decider.

Thompson played 201 games in the red and white before departing for Cronulla, playing three seasons with the Sharks before retiring in 2008.

Police Media said police were called to a Cronulla residence at 9pm on Thursday after receiving calls about a man's welfare.

Police Media said the death is not being treated as suspicious and have indicated it does not appear to have been an incident involving self-harm.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

thompsonl--5041721-i.jpg

Lance Thompson 1978-2018

1 / 15
Lance Thompson with the Dragons in 2005 against the Broncos.
thompsonl-5031142.jpg

Lance Thompson 1978-2018

2 / 15
Lance Thompson with the Dragons in 2005.
thompsonl-5032651.jpg

Lance Thompson 1978-2018

3 / 15
Lance Thompson playing for the Dragons in 2005.
thompsonl-5040911.jpg

Lance Thompson 1978-2018

A two-time Australian Schoolboys representative while attending Kingsgrove High, Thompson played his junior football with Hurstville United before being graded with the Dragons.

He played five games with City Origin from 2001-07 and was often knocking on the door for NSW Origin selection.

"Lance was a colourful, earnest rugby league character and a loyal friend of many at the Dragons," Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.

Vale, Lance Thompson

"We are all are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of his passing and our thoughts are with his family."

The Dragons will wear black armbands as a mark of respect in Sunday's game with the Bulldogs at Kogarah, a ground where Thompson was a fan favourite.

Thompson joined the Sharks in 2006 and retired during the 2008 NRL season due to ongoing knee problems.

Former teammates paid tribute to the popular Dragons junior, who current Manly coach and St. George Illawarra half Trent Barrett described as "one of the toughest players we would have all played with."

"He was the main man around for our age," Barrett said. "He was one of the fittest blokes and just never gave up. You couldn't beat him at anything really, he was such a competitor."

Thompson's former St George captain Mark Coyne summed up the sentiments of the rugby league landscape.

"I'm shattered that his life has been taken so young," Coyne said.

"Lance was a tremendous competitor from such a young age – gave his all at the Dragons."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg shared his thoughts on Thompson, saying he was ''tough and humble", while ARLC chairman Peter Beattie also paid tribute along with numerous current and former players on social media.

Saddened to hear of the passing of Lance Thompson. A tough and humble bloke on & off the field. The rugby league community sends our condolences to all friends & family #NRL

— Todd Greenberg (@Todd_Greenberg) August 23, 2018
A very sad day for Rugby League with the passing of NRL star Lance Thompson; a much-loved member of the rugby league community. Condolences to his family #nrl @NRL_Dragons

— Peter Beattie (@SmartState1) August 23, 2018

Very sad to hear the passing of Lance Thompson overnight, one of my childhood favourites and a local hero who I looked up to and was lucky enough to get to know over the years, champion bloke and player. Rest In Peace Mate! pic.twitter.com/0K5yWQK3g7

— Keith Galloway (@kgalloway85) August 23, 2018
My thoughts go out to Lance Thompson’s family and friends. This is awful. A genuinely good guy and a wholehearted, tough opponent.
RIP Lance

— Martin Lang (@Martin_Lang11) August 23, 2018
I am absolutely numb at the news of Lance Thompson passing away.If you watched Lance on The Fan this year,you would appreciate what a genuine & hard working man he was. Shattered for his family.He proved you dont need to have won GF's or played for your country to be a champion.

— Andrew Voss (@AndrewVossy) August 23, 2018
The Rugby League Players' Association also paid tribute to the former City Origin forward.

The RLPA is saddened to hear of the sudden passing of former #NRL player Lance Thompson.

Our thoughts are with Lance’s family, friends, former teammates and the wider Rugby League community.

We reflect on Lance’s enormous contribution to the game and his brilliant career today. pic.twitter.com/F087LtxFqU

— RLPA (@RLPlayers) August 24, 2018

Shattered to hear about Lance Thompson. A great bloke who helped me learn alot! Gone way to soon. RIP Thommo

— Bryson Goodwin (@Bryson_Goodwin) August 23, 2018

Sad to hear the passing of a good friend Lance Thompson, a man with such a big heart. Thoughts are with your loved ones Big red :heart:

— Sonny Bill Williams (@SonnyBWilliams) August 24, 2018

Damn..thoughts and prayers go out to Lance Thompson’s family..lost for words i’m sure most people are..always a great bloke and will be missed RIP Thommo

— Willie Mason WMM :100::flag_au::flag_to: (@mase21) August 23, 2018

Thankyou for your kind words.
We are completely devastated, no words can describe the pain we are going through. #lancethompson

— Leena Thompson (@LTStyling) August 23, 2018
Very sad to hear of the passing of @NRL_Dragons legend Lance Thompson. As a schoolboy, he was viewed as a prodigy and an honest, tough competitor #RIPLance :pray_tone4: @NRL

— Frank Puletua (@Puletua8) August 23, 2018
My thoughts and prayers are with the Thompson family.Thommo was one of the most genuine people I have known who cared for his family and friends RIP my brother

— Anthony Mundine (@Anthony_Mundine) August 23, 2018
Prayers for the Family and Friends of Lance Thompson. Very sad.

What a talent he was! The best 16yo player according to recruitment doyen Peter O’Sullivan.

Within 3 months he went from playing @NRL_Dragons U’17s to First Grade with honours

RIP Lance

— Joel Caine (@JoelCaine) August 23, 2018
To wake to news like this makes me realise how beautiful and important our interaction with anyone that crosses our path in life is regardless of who they are and where they come from. Be kind,life is to short

Such a privilege to have met you mate! R.I.P Lance Thompson

— chicko segeyaro (@chicko9) August 23, 2018

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/24/tributes-flow-for-thommo/

getsmarty

Immortal
lance-thompson-4032853.jpg

DRAGONS

Vale Lance Thompson
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 24 Aug 2018, 09:52 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are deeply saddened by the passing of former Dragon Lance Thompson.

The 239-game veteran of both the St George Dragons and St George Illawarra was found deceased on Friday morning. He was 40.

The two-time Australian Schoolboys representative made his NRL debut at just 17 while still attending Kingsgrove High School and went on to become a crowd favourite across his 14-season first grade career – the latter three of which were spent at the Sharks.

The Hurstville United junior played in two grand finals; the Dragons' 1996 loss to the Sea Eagles and St George Illawarra's last gasp defeat to the Melbourne Storm in 1999.

Thompson represented the City Origin team five times between 2001 and 2007.

"Lance was a colourful, earnest rugby league character and a loyal friend of many at the Dragons," Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust said.

"We are all are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of his passing and our thoughts are with his family."

The Dragons will wear black armbands on Sunday and pay tribute to Thompson at the home game this Sunday at Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah against the Bulldogs.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/24/vale-lance-thompson/

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
There was a story from Nathan Brown where Thommo took a hit in the kidneys and was pissing blood at half time. When half time was up he was about to go back onto the field. The doctor told him not to go back as he might actually die. To which Thommo replied “I’m prepared to die for St. George”

Latest posts