What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Back 3

The Friz

Juniors
Wouldn't change Dufty for anyone, I just think he's going to be a superstar. Getting better all the time.

Not sure i'd switch out MacDonald, he's too good a finisher and his runs out of dummy half are highly valued.

Lomax would have been there already if he wasn't injured. Trust me everyone, once that kid makes his debut he's not going anywhere. He'll eventually make a transition into the centres, but for now, he'll do a job for us on the wing. We won't EVER be talking about that left wing spot once he's there.
Wouldn't change Dufty for anyone??
What are you taking ???
I'd like to give it a crack.

ozbuck

Juniors
Nighty is close to the worst winger in the entire NRL at the moment .. Nene rolled his ankle … Mann was fair but as a unit it is pus

Mann dropped a bomb, knocked on a basic hit up, and let a bomb fall.to the ground without catching it... Widdops knocked it on and next set they scored. He had a rough day. But the whole team was off.

watatank

Coach
I think Dufty has developed somewhat in attack but defence is a concern. He just doesn't seem to get to where he needs to be often enough.

Macdonald is what makes our back 3 look reasonably decent as a unit. He was a huge loss. Nightingale just doesn't have the same impact and Mann is a decent alternative to Nightingale but not for Macdonald.

Lomax will return from injury and Herbert also seems to be kinda close. The powers that be need to give those guys a serious look for any back 3 position.

Dragsters

First Grade
Valid point. They all also started on the wing until they developed. The Dragons aren't good enough to cover for him at the moment. He needs another massive off season and needs to come back a lot stronger.

...and I'm sure he will. Much like Tedesco and Slater did early in their careers, return stronger with improved defensive skills after each off season...

Brutalitops

Juniors
I was attempting to make general comment about many people lauding Dufty as a potential superstar, and quoted your post in error.

My bad,

Apologies.
Dufty is a POTENTIAL superstar though. Nothing wrong with recognising that

He's not right now though but he could get there. Generally takes a defending fullback 2 to 3 full seasons to fully develop their defensive games at NRL level, and the lad has played less than a season of games.

I don't think he's a superstar but if he continues progressing (which he has been doing) he will be a great player

18to87

First Grade
Dufty is a POTENTIAL superstar though. Nothing wrong with recognising that

He's not right now though but he could get there. Generally takes a defending fullback 2 to 3 full seasons to fully develop their defensive games at NRL level, and the lad has played less than a season of games.

I don't think he's a superstar but if he continues progressing (which he has been doing) he will be a great player
Exactly.

Aitken has been around for three seasons now, and just had a far worse game than Dufty. Even with Dufty's deficiencies, it is worth having him in the side for what he will be next year and the year after. He sure wasn't close to the only one to have a tough day today.

thommo4pm

Coach
Is nobody concerned about the tries we give up with Dufty as the last line. The other top fullbacks (Slater, Tedesco, Boyd, Dugan/Holmes,Sheck etc.) stop them. I like the kid, and encourage the use of local juniors, but his defence is a concern to me.
As are his kick returns and lack of attacking the footy

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hang on a sec, I thought Dufty was a burgeoning superstar! What has happened to the adulation afforded to him following the recent Parramatta game?

Don’t tell me Dugan is being missed (says the bloke who foewarned about this problem but was shot down in the process many times)?

Yeah, Millward has done a super job with retention.

Keep telling yourself that, folks. It’s a good yarn.
Dugan isn't missed. If we had Dugan in our side at fullback, we would be much lower on the ladder. Dugan has also missed more games than he has played for Cronulla this year.

We don't miss Dugan at all.

Exactly.

Aitken has been around for three seasons now, and just had a far worse game than Dufty. Even with Dufty's deficiencies, it is worth having him in the side for what he will be next year and the year after. He sure wasn't close to the only one to have a tough day today.

Aitken was rubbish today, with no excuses.
He should go for a spell in ISP just on that performance alone.

JDHD

Juniors
Dufty is great. Nene’s best game is awesome, but his worst is the worst. Mann has a god damn error in his game and Gypsy is done.

Lomax is an interesting prospect, but he’s only had 10 minutes of grade and wasn’t great.

Perhaps there’s a good reason that we’re trying to get BMoz back.

getsmarty

Immortal
Is nobody concerned about the tries we give up with Dufty as the last line. The other top fullbacks (Slater, Tedesco, Boyd, Dugan/Holmes,Sheck etc.) stop them. I like the kid, and encourage the use of local juniors, but his defence is a concern to me.

Slater misses plenty....Dufty is in his first full year. Give the kid a break...compare apples with apples.

possm

Coach
Aitken is not a centre; does not have a good passing game and his defensive reads are very poor. He mostly holds onto the ball and tries to do it all himself. Aitken nees to be on the bench and may one day be a good backrower.

Nightingale is done and should not be in first grade. Mary's wasted so many opportunities to blood a youn winger and centre this year. We knew about Aitken and Nightingale last season and so should have had the likes of Lomax and Herbert on our right edge early and maybe by now we would not be having this discussion.

I was a big fan of Mann but no longer. In the game yesterday he showed the same lack of technique that saw him dropped to reserve grade a couple of years ago. If possible I'd like to see him gone for 2019.

Yes Dufty is a work in progress however, surely the coaching staff should be working on his positioning and reads in defence. If his defence does not improve, I'm afraid that he may go the same way as Quinlan.

Our forwards are not dominating like they did earlier on in the season. Same, same as in previous seasons albeit the Dragons are further up the ladder this year. I would move Frizell to prop, Sims to the right edge and Leilua to the left edge. Sims would really stiffen up the defence on the right side; the combination of Frizell - Hunt - Aitken - Nightingale is a disaster and needs a complete revamp. At least on the left we have Widdop, Lafai and Mcdodald who seem to do an OK job in defence.

Lomax to right centre and Herbert to right wing unless of course Millward lands a couple of forwards and a couple of first grade rightside backs. I like the idea of retaining our juniors but not at the expense year after year of poor first grade results.

ouryears

Bench
Wouldn't change Dufty for anyone, I just think he's going to be a superstar. Getting better all the time.

Not sure i'd switch out MacDonald, he's too good a finisher and his runs out of dummy half are highly valued.

Lomax would have been there already if he wasn't injured. Trust me everyone, once that kid makes his debut he's not going anywhere. He'll eventually make a transition into the centres, but for now, he'll do a job for us on the wing. We won't EVER be talking about that left wing spot once he's there.
Then why have we offered
B Moz a contract if Nighty does not accept his new one year lower deal?

The kids aren't going to get a run.

Latest posts