What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The benefit of the doubt

Inferno

Coach
The ref saw Gal push him in the head apparently. Dud call... the first marker is pushed 40 times a game...

Well he got the penalty 5 minutes later when it probably should have gone the other way.

He has been targeted less by the refs since becoming the SOO captain, but his on field behaviour really hasn't improved all that much.

Windy70

Juniors
I was starting to think that "Pity reffing" was a thing.

Inferno, Gal has dropped so much crap out of his game it is unbelievable. He is just a forward that is doing his job now. But he will niggle, as all forwards should. But that was a stand and push, then old mate open handed him.

So, pick the wrong doer.

cb4

First Grade
Ken oath Carch, I'm with you on both counts.
As for Vals try, he bounced off the ground and his torso ended up over the line so how the feck is that not a try.

Incorrect. None of his body ended up over the line except for his extended arm. That is a clear cut double movement.
The Barba try, I am a bit 50/50 on, but the Val try was a definite no try.

PJ

First Grade
IMO Val was a double movement. If he'd landed on his side and the ball on the ground fine.

He promoted the ball so a clear double movement.

On Barba's I think it should have been given, but understand that it wasn't. But now I would hope to see consistency as you see that play nearly every match with Melbourne being masters.

What I expect to see is that some teams are allowed to get away with it and others aren't.

carcharias

Immortal
The Barba try would've been a try every time had that not been Ennis .
We f**king know it too.
That bullshit penalty has never been given before.
He brushed up against a defender who had committed to tackling him
All of about 0.02 of second brush

The val try
Double movement IMO is when a bloke is tackled short and his movement has stopped then reaches out.
Val was clearly still in the motion of being tackled as he put the ball down.

Both trys
I'm right
I know it

carcharias

Immortal
Serious question
Was anyone thinking ( O oh ) Ennis had obstructed a player at the time of Barba 's dissalowed try?

millersnose

Post Whore
Only the defender who spooked the inexperienced ref into having a video check

That is why your players should always lobby refs on the field

SharkShocked

Bench
Serious question
Was anyone thinking ( O oh ) Ennis had obstructed a player at the time of Barba 's dissalowed try?

I'll answer that question with another question, just to be a dick and illustrate the point.

If Barba gets tackled we play on and score probably on the next play, what happens?

I'll tell you what - then you've got no argument, no dissection of the play, no replay, no out cry, nothing.

The video review system is creating a bunch of referees who are too afraid and too unsure to make calls during the course of the game. They hope like hell a try is scored the second there is any possible infringement so that it can be reviewed and save their ass.

They are becoming a bunch of soft cocks who can't make decisions without support. The video review system is directly responsible for crippling any confidence the referees once had.

That isn't to say that the video referral system isn't beneficial in many many situations where human eyes fail.

I reckon i'm one of the only blokes in the crowd screaming every home game when there is a knock down or knock on or loose ball that isn't clear cut or will be checked, for our player who streaks away to 'manipulate' the situation and get tackled a metre short so that we can score on the next play.

cb4

First Grade
Serious question

No. In the lead up I wondered how the gap opened up so easily but then I remember Newcastle are terrible.

I couldn't see anything on the big screen either, but on replay at home, I see why it wasn't given.

1) Ennis ran the guy off the line, but the defender wouldn't have got within a Whales dick of Barba
2) It was Ennis

On the Val try though, convince yourself all you want, but that was a definite double movement. If a team scored that against us and it was give I would be pissed right off.

Stake Removed

First Grade
No. In the lead up I wondered how the gap opened up so easily but then I remember Newcastle are terrible.

I couldn't see anything on the big screen either, but on replay at home, I see why it wasn't given.

1) Ennis ran the guy off the line, but the defender wouldn't have got within a Whales dick of Barba
2) It was Ennis

On the Val try though, convince yourself all you want, but that was a definite double movement. If a team scored that against us and it was give I would be pissed right off.

To go further on Ennis he actually increases his speed to hold off the defender, the more you look at it, the more you notice it.

Problem is how many of them not just from us have been let go all season.

If Barba was tackled you can bet the ref would have let play go on even though he said he believed no try, they are caught with bunker, maybe 3 options
1. No bunker leave it to on field ref
2. Bunker checks all plays in the 6 leading to try which is nightmare in respect to time
3. Captain gets 2 challenges per half, and it can be in respect to the plays in the 6 leading to try, that could be best option.

For example Barba tackled we score next, before awarding try newcastle capt says challenge play leading up to Barba being tackled they only look at that if newcastle correct they keep there challenges in tact.

The bunker has not helped the game

carcharias

Immortal
Ennis isn't allowed to pick up speed to keep up with Barba?
Not his fault the Knights player was in the way and facing the wrong way
It was a f**king woeful call
If they ping every other hooker for it from now until the day I die then ...ok I'm wrong
But I'm not.
And Vals was a try.
No double movement .
Just a bloke being shit at being a ref.

It was one of the most f**ked calls of the season and that is saying something.

Obstructions and Shepherds were invented to prevent players running behind their own players. At no point does Barba run behind Ennis. Now we are going to have the situation where everytime a break is made defenders will start running into support players who are bangin' hard and pushing up in support. It's never been a penalty in 108 years of Rugby League and nor should it be.

millersnose

Post Whore
Lol lads

Love your passion and agree that it should not have been penalised but it was an obstruction
A beautifully worked obstruction
Like a master magician with sleight of hand
Took smith years to perfect it

carcharias

Immortal
Can someone explain then
Why shadowing the ball over the dead ball is not obstruction?
Or blocking an attacking player by pretending you're trying to catch a bomb ( that any dope with about as many brains as Todd carney ) can see you're not within cooee of catching it is not obstruction
Or catching a ball about a metre in feild with your leg a poofteenth over the sideline is considered out on the full?
When the only part that is out is the dude catching it.

Or
Why f**king front rowers are standing deep in the backline during scrims
Or why hookers are no longer 12

It's f**king bullshit mate.

Feej

First Grade
Anyway, looking forward to Melbourne getting pinged for the same thing soon...

Weaponhead

Coach
Anyway, looking forward to Melbourne getting pinged for the same thing soon...
Hahaha. I would hold my breath but too busy laughing.

Smith has the refs conned so much it's not funny. They have that play for years with nary a whisper of an issue.....

millersnose

Post Whore
Can someone explain then
Why shadowing the ball over the dead ball is not obstruction?
Or blocking an attacking player by pretending you're trying to catch a bomb ( that any dope with about as many brains as Todd carney ) can see you're not within cooee of catching it is not obstruction

It's f**king bullshit mate.

Because technically you aren't deliberately taking a player out of the defensive line on purpose

Look I agree it shouldn't be penalised as it hasn't in the past but it does take a player out of the defence
It's why they do it
And look at those plays employed by Ennis over the last 3 months
He has become the master