What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Black Hole

shiznit

Coach
God i wish he was coming back to us insteas. The Glazers are too f**king cheap to pay $10mil a year though. I reckon he would stayed in Tampa if the Glazers were in the ball park cash wise.
It’s interesting because I heard Michael Lombardi talk about it and he thought Gruden probably didn’t want to go back to Tampa because he was in the ring of honour and he won his super bowl so had probably achieved what he wanted in Tampa.

I think with the Raiders he has a sense of unfinished business as he pretty much created a contender which got robbed in the tuck rule game and then he pretty much demolished in the Super Bowl because he knew practically the entire playbook.

I don’t think he truly wanted to leave in the first place but Al Davis and himself ended up falling out over money and I think Al ended up jealous of Gruden’s growing profile in the media and within the organisation.

beave

Coach

And my favourite reply....

:joy::joy:

The Rooney Rule makes me laugh.

The NFL is so cut throat and competitive, the owners don't give a f**k what colour or race you are, just win dammit.

Im praying the Glazers snap out of it and come in with a last minute bid to lure Chucky to stay Tampa.

shiznit

Coach
The Rooney Rule makes me laugh.

The NFL is so cut throat and competitive, the owners don't give a f**k what colour or race you are, just win dammit.

Im praying the Glazers snap out of it and come in with a last minute bid to lure Chucky to stay Tampa.
The worst part is the Raiders have been by far the best franchise in the history of the league to hire minority’s...

We were the first to hire a black head coach in Art Shell ... one of the first to hire a latino head coach in Tom Flores... the first to hire a female executive in Amy Trask.

Loooong before the Rooney rule ever existed... they should really name it the Al Davis rule...

We’ve never needed a rule to give minority’s a chance... and we’ve been proud of that fact for decades...

It’s kind of insulting people are questioning us over it TBH...

beave

Coach
The worst part is the Raiders have been by far the best franchise in the history of the league to hire minority’s...

We were the first to hire a black head coach in Art Shell ... one of the first to hire a latino head coach in Tom Flores... the first to hire a female executive in Amy Trask.

Loooong before the Rooney rule ever existed... they should really name it the Al Davis rule...

We’ve never needed a rule to give minority’s a chance... and we’ve been proud of that fact for decades...

It’s kind of insulting people are questioning us over it TBH...

We should win an award for supporting LGBT way back in the 1970’s with our original logo.........

images

Mind you, I have more retro and creamsicle merch these days than I do the current get up. I absolutley detest the direction the team has gone with it’s current jersey and logo. The 98-2014 jersey and wording logo was amazing, almost perfect for a team with that nickname. What they’be done since is a disgrace.

beave

Coach
hahaha Johnny Depp as a mascot.

When I went to the Bucs Panthers game in my get up, people were coming up wanting pics.

32C0DA92-F6FF-4C66-B098-D5034745B0EB_zps5icmzfqk.jpg

One guy started asking me questions, when I answered him he was like ‘oh why, you’re even putting on a buccaneer accent!!’.......

My response of ‘mate, i’m f**king australian’ was met with a ‘oh maaan, my baaad!!!’

I also had one assclown ask if my parrot was real. My response of ‘yeah mate, it’s real’ and him touch it and not understand my sarcasm was priceless.....

Frederick

Staff member
10 year contract valued at over 100 million.

100 million for a coach who's only won one Superbowl and has a win % that's just over 0.5. Insane amount of money

shiznit

Coach
10 year contract valued at over 100 million.

100 million for a coach who's only won one Superbowl and has a win % that's just over 0.5. Insane amount of money
I don’t get the big issue with money...

There’s no salary cap for coaches... you just pay whatever you need to get the coach you want.

I wouldn’t care if we paid 500M for 2 years... it’s not my money... and it doesn’t go against the cap.

It’s a brilliant coaching hire considering the Raiders situation at the moment... it electrifies the Oakland faithful in the last season or so in Oakland... and it helps sells seats I’m vegas.

As for how he coaches... I think he will be what we probably need... a tough uncompromising coach... he won’t put up with a lot of shit...

I don’t know how that is going to work with Carr... he’s not the toughest guy...

shiznit

Coach
If anyone’s interested here’s Derek Carr’s full QB Camp with Gruden... it kinda takes on more meaning now... :joy::joy:

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

beave

Coach
Ah the old ‘Grudens record isn’t that good’ retort.

His record in Tampa doesn’t entirely tell the whole story.

We gave up a shit load of draft pics to the Raiders in the trade for him, 2 x 1st round picks, 2x 2nd round draft picks and the Bucs owners gradually bought ManU over the 2 years after we won the SB. Their focus was entirely on soccer and they barely spent the minimum NFL required cap to just keep the Bucs ticking along. Gruden wasn’t allowed to buy anyone of note either other than washed up cheap vets. We also had salary cap issues because we had Sapp, Lynch, Barber,Brooks and others on ridiculous back ended deals on the books. They had to offload a heap of good players for cap issues. We actually had Bill Parcels pretty much wrapped up to be the coach in 2002 until his staff went through the Bucs books and told him to back out of the deal asap because they even saw the issues coming over the horizon for the team. That’s why we threw everything at Gruden to come ‘home’ in 02 because they were desperate for a coach after Parcels pulled out last minute.

In 2008 we were 9-3 leading into december from memory?Looking at a week 1 bye and homefield advantage. Their D was a massive reason for this and Monte Kiffin (D-cord) credited for the fabled Tampa-2 defence decides to pull his own plug to join his son at Tennesse (Lane). The bucs D folded like a cheap tent on the news and mailed it in for the last 4 weeks and completley missed the play offs due to 4 straight losses. Totally unfair on Gruden what Kiffin and the players did and he ultimaltey got fired for it.

I’d have Gruden back in a heartbeat in Tampa. Give. Proper resources and a decent scenario, he will kill it. Unfortunatley he never got this at my beloved Bucs.

I understand why the Glazers didn’t do it (get Gruden this time) the cash for Gruden and his staff plus paying out his ESPN contract, throw in Dirk Koetters contract and it all adds up. What they should have done was made the play for him after they fired Lovie Smith 2 years ago. We’ve been sacking coaches early for 10 years straight. Someone posted on twitter they’ve wasted upwards of $50mil paying out Gruden, Raheem Morris, Schiano, Smith. There comes a time I guess when sanity has to prevail and they stay loyal somewhat.

If there’s not a significant improvement in the bucs records next year, Dirk Koetter will be gone and they’ll be back to square one. His schemes worked this year, we moved the ball really well but Winston couldn’t hit open long range targets early in the year and Koetters clock and redzone management was f**king atrocious all year. Throw in the worst sacking D in the league and it was a miracle they were in it up to their eyeballs for all bar 3-4 games.

Gruden will go well in Oakland, very jealous of you raiders fans, good luck to you guys for it.

Im gonna go cry into my SB 37 DVD........:(

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
I can only see the signing of Gruden as coach leading to disaster for the Raiders. He has been out of the coaching game for ten years, and in my opinion that is way too long. Yes, he has remained close to the game through commentating, but that is not the same. The coaching game has passed him by.

Parra

Referee
If anyone’s interested here’s Derek Carr’s full QB Camp with Gruden... it kinda takes on more meaning now... :joy::joy:

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

I wondered why this was on espn this morning.

This will get people watching Raiders games. I know I will.

beave

Coach
I stopped reading after this bit

‘After winning a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay in January 2003’............