What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bunker

Grapple

Bench
I think the biggest problem for me personally as a fan is it gives the rights to players to influence the game when they have no job doing so. It used to do my head in back when players would just constantly raise their arms behind a slow play the ball (picture Mick Ennis anytime) It suddenly gives credit to being a good salesman, or perhaps the refs just need to quit acknowledging players that aren't the captain... who knows, it's just so cringeworthy at times.

Was it ruled 'no try' because of the forward pass? If not then I fail to see how that's relevant.

I understand that it should have been ruled a forwar pass and not even gone upstairs. But it did go upstairs and they ruled 'no try' on the basis of the most ridiculous obstruction call you'll ever see.

Definitely true, although if there wasn't a forward pass maybe the try is given. Personally I'd like to see the bunker be allowed to rule on forward passes, otherwise they get stuck in a limbo like yesterday where the choice is to either
a. invent a farcical reason not to give the try so one team doesn't benefit from a forward pass
b. give a try they no is not a try but have no business stopping.

It just seems silly that the bunker can go over everything with fine tooth comb, except for passes, which they aren't allowed to rule on, no matter how wrong a call may be.

ozenzud

Juniors
I'm assuming you're being serious, but it took me a while to be sure. The Johnson one was the most obvious obstruction I've seen in years. As I said, I was more gobsmacked that the referee didn't pick it up on the field.

Johnson clearly ran a line against the grain back behind his players. Completely textbook. If that annoys you enough to switch sports, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You must be a soccer player who comes on this forum for something interesting to do, as you have no clue.

And mate, I played my last first grade game at 38, coached Rep teams, 1st grade and junior teams for 15 years and run my clubs junior grades. Might be more of a loss to the game than someone like you.

Definitely true, although if there wasn't a forward pass maybe the try is given. Personally I'd like to see the bunker be allowed to rule on forward passes, otherwise they get stuck in a limbo like yesterday where the choice is to either
a. invent a farcical reason not to give the try so one team doesn't benefit from a forward pass
b. give a try they no is not a try but have no business stopping.

It just seems silly that the bunker can go over everything with fine tooth comb, except for passes, which they aren't allowed to rule on, no matter how wrong a call may be.

What worries me about the bunker ruling on forward passes is that it just gives them another thing to get wrong. I just don't have any faith in the bunker at all.

Paullyboy

Coach
You must be a soccer player who comes on this forum for something interesting to do, as you have no clue.

How is it that I have no clue? The rule is black and white, and was called as such by the video referee. Not sure how that makes me a soccer player. If you run a red light and get pulled over by a cop, is he also a soccer player?

And mate, I played my last first grade game at 38, coached Rep teams, 1st grade and junior teams for 15 years and run my clubs junior grades. Might be more of a loss to the game than someone like you.

And you're willing to throw all that away because you don't understand a clear cut rule that's been a part of the game since day 1? Good one.

Card Shark

Immortal
They should'nt be patting themselves on the back.

The average fan of the game is flabbergasted with some of their decisions....& the amount of them.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Murdoch sitting in the bunker looking after his investment?

No wonder I have started switching off the game this year when I've bothered to actually watch it.

Instead of looking at clubs and players betting on games, how about looking at the refs and people running the game?

Just about over the sport.

Spade

Juniors
They overturn a marginal knock on when the Titans are 12-6 up but can't overturn a obvious wrong penalty later in the game when Oates jumps over the top of Mead...

or jump in and rule on a kick.

carcharias

Immortal
How is it that I have no clue? The rule is black and white, and was called as such by the video referee. Not sure how that makes me a soccer player. If you run a red light and get pulled over by a cop, is he also a soccer player?

And you're willing to throw all that away because you don't understand a clear cut rule that's been a part of the game since day 1? Good one.
If you're talking about the kicking of the ball
I actually think it was legal to do so
I remember seeing Mathew ridge save a try doing it and I don't recall it being a penalty

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't think he was so much kicking at the ball, he was throwing his leg there to block its path in grounding.

No try!