What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Frederick

Staff member
The difference is, you will find, is that Kevin Feige works fulltime just on their films. Geoff Johns is not fulltime on DC's film properties as he is also Chief Creative Officer at DC which means he has a lot of things to oversight at DC. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Berg is in a similar position work wise to that of Geoff Johns. As such it is why the DC film properties don't quite get the same level of attention as their senior staff are spread a bit too thin.
Then they need to change that. Without having people with intimate knowledge of the source material working full time on these things, they’ll continue to churn out mediocre movies

Then they need to change that. Without having people with intimate knowledge of the source material working full time on these things, they’ll continue to churn out mediocre movies

Johns does know a lot of the source material. Hell he is the one that turned the Green Lantern comics into one of DC's best sellers from 2005 to 2015. The thing is I just reckon he is stretched having to look after the films, plus over sight the comics line and stuff across the entire company. As such he probably does not have the time to devote to the films as Feige does, who's job is just looking after Marvel's Film properties.

shiznit

Coach
The difference is, you will find, is that Kevin Feige works fulltime just on their films. Geoff Johns is not fulltime on DC's film properties as he is also Chief Creative Officer at DC which means he has a lot of things to oversight at DC. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Berg is in a similar position work wise to that of Geoff Johns. As such it is why the DC film properties don't quite get the same level of attention as their senior staff are spread a bit too thin.
I just find that crazy.... for a company the size of Time Warner not to address these types of issues BEFORE they shell out $300M on the next blockbuster.

If I’m making a product which is costing almost double to produce than my competitor and is being panned by the consumer and is making less than my competitor is... I’d be sacking people...

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Its a terrible shame that JL is not doing well in the theatres, it really is. Its a far better movie than both BvS and Suicide Squad as well as quite a few other movies from Marvel. It just goes to show how much influence critics, RT and other online sources have these days on average movie goers.

Generalzod

Immortal
Its a terrible shame that JL is not doing well in the theatres, it really is. Its a far better movie than both BvS and Suicide Squad as well as quite a few other movies from Marvel. It just goes to show how much influence critics, RT and other online sources have these days on average movie goers.
Red letter media is right when they say that their making it up as they go along, Hell there are thousands of dc comic books out there to draw some inspiration from WB you idiots.

Generalzod

Immortal
There is a fan made video of the man of steel to include the original soundtrack by John Williams it was inspirational watching it. Snyder made an error not including John Williams original Superman fan fare it would have made all Superman fans happy like myself.

shiznit

Coach
I think as someone else pointed out... thanksgiving is still to come... I’m pretty sure it will be the hit movie over that weekend which will definitely give the numbers a lift.

I think the overall aggregate from sites like RT and Metacrtic are a good guide if it’s absolutely terrible...

But I usually like to open up the top critics reviews and read the full reviews from a few critics I place value on to really get an idea on if I will enjoy it or not.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I think as someone else pointed out... thanksgiving is still to come... I’m pretty sure it will be the hit movie over that weekend which will definitely give the numbers a lift.

I think the overall aggregate from sites like RT and Metacrtic are a good guide if it’s absolutely terrible...

But I usually like to open up the top critics reviews and read the full reviews from a few critics I place value on to really get an idea on if I will enjoy it or not.
For the most part i agree that its a good guide, not the be all and end all like a lot of people seem to hold it. Its a far better movie than 35% - 40% though which is my issue with it. Hell, Punisher is sitting at 60% odd and its fantastic

It just boggles my mind where these numbers come from.

Unfortunately i dont think Thanksgiving will help much, im expecting the usual 40-60% drop off

bileduct

Coach
For the most part i agree that its a good guide, not the be all and end all like a lot of people seem to hold it. Its a far better movie than 35% - 40% though which is my issue with it. Hell, Punisher is sitting at 60% odd and its fantastic
Punisher = white guy revenge fantasy.

Replace him with a black guy and that's now a five star review for being stunning and bold.

Eelementary

Post Whore

May I ask - why? Why is it a better film?

I watched it last weekend, and I hated it, tbh. It had plot holes, an (imo) by-the-numbers villain, pacing issues...I really did not like this film at all.

Not even Jason Momoa and Ben Affleck could save the film for me, and I like both actors, and f**king love Aquaman.

For me, it was on par with Dawn Of Justice.

I think they f**ked up enormously by not releasing a stand-alone Aquaman film before Justice League's release.

Caped Crusader

Juniors

I watched it last weekend, and I hated it, tbh. It had plot holes, an (imo) by-the-numbers villain, pacing issues...I really did not like this film at all.

Not even Jason Momoa and Ben Affleck could save the film for me, and I like both actors, and f**king love Aquaman.

I think they f**ked up enormously by not releasing a stand-alone Aquaman film before Justice League's release.
Ok, you are the 1st person who has said that to me re it not being better than BvS

It's a far more fun movie for starters, which is what I want and I think it's fair to say most viewers want from a super hero romp. The character motivations were far clearer in JL. Do we even know why Clark had such a hard on for the Batman story in BvS? Why is Lex so pissed with Superman? Wtf is Wonder Woman even doing there?

You mention Steppenwolf as being by the numbers but explain to me wtf Lex Luthor even was in BvS. He was like an Aspergers kid at a dinner party for the whole movie. Nearly everything about him made little sense.

Sure there were a couple of plot holes but BvS was literally full of them until the Ultimate edition came out

I'm honestly a bit surprised you felt that way bro but it's your opinion

shiznit

Coach
I just noticed they just put BvS up on Netflix....

So I watched it this evening...

Maaaan it’s f**king bad...

The story is soooo f**king all over place... with his dream sequences with the flash message at the end....

and even the robin suit with the jokers message attached...

Neither of those things had any f**king context to it...

They seriously have no f**king idea how to set up a story.

It’s almost like Snyder just decided the story was boring so he would just add these extra bits and pieces in post production...

Just crazy...

shiznit

Coach

Obviously each to their own...

But I reckon you should rewatch BvS...

It kinda brought things into perspective... :joy::joy:

JL is much, much better IMO...

shiznit

Coach
Here’s a Batman related discussion that has nothing to do with ratings and box office...

Who is the better big screen Alfred...

Michael Caine or Jeremy Irons...

Or Michael Gough for that matter...

Eelementary

Post Whore
I really, really, really wanted to like Justice League - but I genuinely hated it.

For me, it was incoherent, rushed, formulaic, and at times, nonsensical.

As bad as Dawn of Justice is (and it is), I feel it flows better as a film.

I left the cinema after watching Justice League extremely disappointed - I was expecting a fun film, albeit with some minor issues that shouldn't jeopardise the enjoyment of the film.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but Justice League bored me. It honestly did.

I did not enjoy the film at all, save for Momoa as Aquaman - the one redeeming feature of the film, imo.

And I don't like feeling this way, because I was honestly hoping that Justice League would do well, and establish the DCEU properly.

But for me, the film was terrible - I know people disagree with me (and honestly, that's fine), but it felt to me like Dawn of Justice part II.