What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Eelementary

Post Whore
Obviously each to their own...

But I reckon you should rewatch BvS...

It kinda brought things into perspective... :joy::joy:

JL is much, much better IMO...

I did - I even bought the extended cut.

For me, neither film is any good, bit Dawn of Justice flowed better (despite its plot holes).

Justice League, to me, couldn't decide on where it wanted to go.

The film felt like Dawn of Justice part II to me.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ok, you are the 1st person who has said that to me re it not being better than BvS

It's a far more fun movie for starters, which is what I want and I think it's fair to say most viewers want from a super hero romp. The character motivations were far clearer in JL. Do we even know why Clark had such a hard on for the Batman story in BvS? Why is Lex so pissed with Superman? Wtf is Wonder Woman even doing there?

You mention Steppenwolf as being by the numbers but explain to me wtf Lex Luthor even was in BvS. He was like an Aspergers kid at a dinner party for the whole movie. Nearly everything about him made little sense.

Sure there were a couple of plot holes but BvS was literally full of them until the Ultimate edition came out

I'm honestly a bit surprised you felt that way bro but it's your opinion

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was almost as bad as what's his name as The Joker in Suicide Squad, and he was also very by-the-numbers as a villain.

The build-up was awful, though, imo - "Oh, something's coming! Let's assemble a team to protect Earth! Oh, we can't do shit without Superman (despite having Aquaman and Wonder Woman on your side) - let's revive him! Oh, bad guy is too strong! Oh, Superman saves the day!"

Some might say that relying on Superman to save the day highlights just how dangerous Steppenwolf was; however, I felt that it stripped the Justice League of any credibility.

Clark's motivations in Dawn of Justice were a mess, but they boiled down to him taking issue with Batman doing what he does (they didn't really make a whole lot of sense).

Justice League had plot holes and/or issues with its story, too - Aquaman's character development was terrible, and he essentially disappears after a fight, to reappear wearing his armour, and yielding his trident?

The best way to describe the film for me is that it felt like a lazy cash grab - I know it was plagued with director issues, etc., but the film felt (to me) rushed, and given how badly Dawn of Justice bombed, I would have thought that they'd have taken more time to iron out the issues.

Instead, I reckon they should have shown some patience, and released individual Flash, and Aquaman, films, to flesh the characters out - then they could have attempted the Justice League.

I really wanted to enjoy this film, but I found it dreadful.

It was less dreadful than Dawn of Justice, but that doesn't say much, really...

bileduct

Coach
The Punisher is just about the best of the lot of the Netflix Marvel shows, it's f**king brilliant.
I don't doubt it (haven't watched it yet).

But Punisher has always been an odd fit in the Marvel comic universe because of his antics. A vigilante white guy isn't gonna review well with feminized film critics.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Justice League had plot holes and/or issues with its story, too - Aquaman's character development was terrible, and he essentially disappears after a fight, to reappear wearing his armour, and yielding his trident?

Yeah, I noticed that too.
Apparently, there was a deleted scene explaining some of that.

There was a lot of deleted scenes because WB demanded the movie be 2 hours.
Even some footage we got to see in the trailer wasn't in the theater release.

From the top if my head:
Cyborg saving some and saying "You should probably move"
Alfred being confronted by someone off screen and saying "he said you'd come" (probably superman)
Clark saying to Lois, "I'd take that as a yes" and pointing to the engagement ring
Batman looking at some Superman hologram
Apparently there was an Iris West deleted scene showing Flash saving her from a car accident

We're looking at nearly 45 mins of deleted scenes

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't doubt it (haven't watched it yet).

But Punisher has always been an odd fit in the Marvel comic universe because of his antics. A vigilante white guy isn't gonna review well with feminized film critics.
Reviews are positive so far, bar that absolute imbecilic Snowflake Grace Rudolph.

With two episodes to go I think it’s at least the equal of Daredevil.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was almost as bad as what's his name as The Joker in Suicide Squad, and he was also very by-the-numbers as a villain.

The build-up was awful, though, imo - "Oh, something's coming! Let's assemble a team to protect Earth! Oh, we can't do shit without Superman (despite having Aquaman and Wonder Woman on your side) - let's revive him! Oh, bad guy is too strong! Oh, Superman saves the day!"

Some might say that relying on Superman to save the day highlights just how dangerous Steppenwolf was; however, I felt that it stripped the Justice League of any credibility.

Clark's motivations in Dawn of Justice were a mess, but they boiled down to him taking issue with Batman doing what he does (they didn't really make a whole lot of sense).

The best way to describe the film for me is that it felt like a lazy cash grab - I know it was plagued with director issues, etc., but the film felt (to me) rushed, and given how badly Dawn of Justice bombed, I would have thought that they'd have taken more time to iron out the issues.

Instead, I reckon they should have shown some patience, and released individual Flash, and Aquaman, films, to flesh the characters out - then they could have attempted the Justice League.

I really wanted to enjoy this film, but I found it dreadful.

It was less dreadful than Dawn of Justice, but that doesn't say much, really...
All fair points but I feel the positives far outweighed the good and it was a good, if not great, step forward

Just on Aquaman. He didnt want to help Batman and left. Next he saved the dude on the boat who was attacked by a parademon, so he went to Atlantis to investigate as he likely knew of their link to the motherbox there. He fights Steppenwolf and loses. He and Mera talk about his responsibility to do something as the heir to the Atlantean crown. He asks her for "something" ie the armour and staff then leaves to help the others. Of all the characters i think they actually covered his arc and motivations quite well

I do feel I need to point out that in the end you did say it was better than BvS :wink:

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
Justice League was a good movie, great even.

It has flaws but I had more fun with it than most comic movies recently.

It felt a little rushed and the villain was average (this is my complaint about most comic book movies though so not exclusive to JL)

Outside of that, I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the action for the most part and a laughed quite a few times.

It floats around my top 5 movies looking at the two current universes, Avengers 1, WW, GOTG, JL, Civil War are close to my top 5.

It was great.

Generalzod

Immortal
I just come back from watching again, I got to say it's not as bad as what some of the critics make it out to be. I loved how they used the original Batman theme from 89, the original Superman theme. The Superman costume was a lot more to the Christopher Reeves costume, I liked how superman goes back to revealing his Insignia, It was an OK film.

Jono078

Referee
I enjoyed Justice League. I'm a Superman guy, so THAT scene was unreal for me.

It had it's issues - mostly with story and cohesion. But it was fun and I would have loved to watch the original 2h40m cut.

That's the best thing I can say. I don't regret going to the theatre to watch and I wanted to see more.

One thing I'll say is, I'm sick of these villians and their thousand of flying sidekicks trying to take over the world and their being shit coming from the sky. Can't Marvel or DC come up with something original?

The Dark Knight had Joker. Man of Steel had Zod. You don't need all this other shit. They're just there so every hero can have their action piece.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Wasn't that in the final movie?

I'm pretty sure Alfred was talking to Lois.

I don’t remember seeing it
But it makes sense that he was talking to Lois - right before he drove her to see Superman

It also gives context to Batman’s “dream” in BvS when Flash visits him from the future and tell him “Lois is the key and you always been right about him”

So if Lois dies, Superman pretty much goes batshit crazy

Eelementary

Post Whore
All fair points but I feel the positives far outweighed the good and it was a good, if not great, step forward

Just on Aquaman. He didnt want to help Batman and left. Next he saved the dude on the boat who was attacked by a parademon, so he went to Atlantis to investigate as he likely knew of their link to the motherbox there. He fights Steppenwolf and loses. He and Mera talk about his responsibility to do something as the heir to the Atlantean crown. He asks her for "something" ie the armour and staff then leaves to help the others. Of all the characters i think they actually covered his arc and motivations quite well

I do feel I need to point out that in the end you did say it was better than BvS :wink:

Fair points!

I did like it better than BvS, but I didn't really like Justice League.

However, I think I may need to re-watch it!

Zoidberg

First Grade
Finally saw it earlier today and, like with BvS, I was a bit underwhelmed. I loved the characters and hope we see more from each of them but just need a better story for them all.
I’m a big Superman fan and think it needed more of him.
The deleted scenes from trailers are really annoying, as they have been for me with other movies, you’re waitin and expecting a scene/line and when it’s not there it stands out.
I do hope there will be an extended version released. I much prefer the BvS extended edition and think the JL may add some much needed story elements.
I will see it again in the cinema which sometimes help me enjoy a film I’ve been looking forward to. Just knowing the story and knowing what to expect allows me to enjoy it for what it is more.
7/10

McNulty

Juniors
Marvel winning in the casting stakes. Jude Law to appear as male lead next to Brie Larson.

DC needs to move away from casting models/wannabe actors...

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t really think the actors have been a problem with any of the DC movies. In fact I think that’s where these movies have excelled, getting the characters right (for the most part).

shiznit

Coach
Marvel winning in the casting stakes. Jude Law to appear as male lead next to Brie Larson.

DC needs to move away from casting models/wannabe actors...
I don’t think it has much to do with the studios being beaten on casting...

It’s more to do with the suitability of the role....

Because im pretty sure Jude Law signed up to play a young Albus Dumbledore on Fantastic Beasts 2... which is a Warner Brothers film....

He’s okay... he’s no better than Chris Pine being the male lead in Wonder Woman....