What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The elephant.. errr.. bird in the room

cb4

First Grade
I'd be all for Bird moving to the bench if it made us stronger, but it doesn't.
Beale played 26 games there last year and scored 2 tries. Bit more of a passing game, but he was defensively a worry as well.
Beale is also a noted left sided player.
Leutele is a left sided player as well.

The unfortunate thing for us is we have no right sided centre banging on the door.
I know the combo with Val last year was good, but that is now 23 games ago.
You can't bank on that combo having the same impact so close to the finals.

Bird looks more frustrated than anything.
We use our centres as battering rams and that isn't his go.
Search my posts a few years back but I said the club needed to sign (then) Jamal Idris and BJ Leilua to completely unlock Flanno's game plan.

Unfortunately, we have very skilled, very sleek centres who are being used to make meters out of our own end.
Defensively, for the first part of the year, Bird was one of the best. This just looks like a change in attitude than career deterioration.
Hopefully with a chance at the Minor Premiership and another finals series all players get the lift they need and reach a new level.

The other thing for me, I don't want a utility on the bench in the finals. Bukuya and Lewis can cover centre positions, Wade and Lewis can cover the halves. Chad can go to Hooker if the worst case scenario in a game happened.
We need a 4 forward bench to compete in the finals.

I'd be all for Bird moving to the bench if it made us stronger, but it doesn't.
Beale played 26 games there last year and scored 2 tries. Bit more of a passing game, but he was defensively a worry as well.
Beale is also a noted left sided player.
Leutele is a left sided player as well.

The unfortunate thing for us is we have no right sided centre banging on the door.
I know the combo with Val last year was good, but that is now 23 games ago.
You can't bank on that combo having the same impact so close to the finals.

Bird looks more frustrated than anything.
We use our centres as battering rams and that isn't his go.
Search my posts a few years back but I said the club needed to sign (then) Jamal Idris and BJ Leilua to completely unlock Flanno's game plan.

Unfortunately, we have very skilled, very sleek centres who are being used to make meters out of our own end.
Defensively, for the first part of the year, Bird was one of the best. This just looks like a change in attitude than career deterioration.
Hopefully with a chance at the Minor Premiership and another finals series all players get the lift they need and reach a new level.

The other thing for me, I don't want a utility on the bench in the finals. Bukuya and Lewis can cover centre positions, Wade and Lewis can cover the halves. Chad can go to Hooker if the worst case scenario in a game happened.
We need a 4 forward bench to compete in the finals.
this is a fair assessment, good post
im curious, if bird continues to faulter, whats the strategy, ride it out?

cb4

First Grade
this is a fair assessment, good post
im curious, if bird continues to faulter, whats the strategy, ride it out?

There is 1 regular season game to go and a few finals games. You can't completely change the combinations and line up with so much at stake now.
The other point to this is that there were no really class centres on the market this year otherwise we would have dipped in for one and pushed Bird into the forwards or the bench next year.

chewsta

First Grade
Leilua was mentioned in here when he was on the market and I dont think there was a single fan that would have wanted him at the time. Fast forward 12 months and the bloke is an animal and the winger outside him is killing it too. Ropana is it?
Holmes and Leilua would have been entertaining to watch had we known the big merkin was gonna get his shit together the way he has.

Arnold

Juniors
The other point to this is that there were no really class centres on the market this year otherwise we would have dipped in for one and pushed Bird into the forwards or the bench next year.

James Roberts says hi

cb4

First Grade
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

In saying that Roberts would be in addition to bird not to replace him IMO. Loots or the other joker can go.
Roberts signed with the Broncos this season and is not off contract.

millersnose

Post Whore
Are not as good as bj
But better than anything else available to us
Though the toss up on the left between Beale and loots I imagine would be a close call for the coach

bluefox68

Staff member
Telegraph (yeah, I know...) has an article on J. Bird. According to the article, he is well aware of his post-Origin form slump, but also says that is playing injured (nerve pain in both shoulders (uh-oh...))...

Hope he comes good, for his sake, as well.