What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The evolution of rock

carcharias

Immortal
keeney said:
What about a proper progression of Rock? Like the effect Bonham had on drumming, Maclaughlin on guitar? Figures who inspired change, innovators.

THE BEATLES on everything they did while they were together.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
HevyDevy said:
Yes that's true - even Ringo was influential despite not being particularly good

yeah, at voice overs for Thoma the Tank Engine maybe

his drumming, if you could call it that, is on par with Meg White

HevyDevy

Coach
Well he could keep a standard 4/4 signature - anything beyond that may have been a tad complicated.

For the record, I find 6/4 to be the most impressive signature

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
try playing Danny Carey (Tool)

4/6 and even 3/5 and anything else he can come up with

some times I wonder why they bother making some songs so difficult to play, or are they just showing off

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Showing off Twizzle, quite a talent is required to play Alex Van Halens 84 drum kit ;)

btw

Ringo starr was tripe on the drums. What was that favourite quote by Lennon? something along the lines of Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the group? lol

carcharias

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
Well he could keep a standard 4/4 signature - anything beyond that may have been a tad complicated.

For the record, I find 6/4 to be the most impressive signature

Drumming has no real influence on music as far as I'm concerned.

How many drummers write the tunes?

As for Ringo ....Paul McCartney played the drums on the white album.

don't get me wrong there some shyte hot drummers around ...but they havent really steered the course of musical change....they just helped the momentum.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
Ringo Starr is one of the greatest drummers of all time.
I defy any of you clowns to sit down at a drumset and play with his feel and musicality.

You're all showing your ignorance, to be honest.

HevyDevy

Coach
Twizzle said:
try playing Danny Carey (Tool)

4/6 and even 3/5 and anything else he can come up with

some times I wonder why they bother making some songs so difficult to play, or are they just showing off

Carey is a freak, he really is. The jazz influence is there for all to hear and actually works really well with Tool.

So Christmas Ape ... type me a list of the greatest drummers of all time.

I'm interested to know if you say that about Ringo because you love the Beatles or if you actually know your drummers.

Carcharias, I agree with you in that drums has never and will never shape the direction of music in the way that guitar has.

Certainly some drummers do write though. Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater writes a lot of their music.

And a brilliant drummer is important - just adds so much flavour to a band.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
So Christmas Ape ... type me a list of the greatest drummers of all time.

Off the top of my head..

1. John Bonham
2. Ringo Starr
3. Phil Rudd
4. Steve Gadd
5. Benny Benjamin
6. Vinnie Colaiuta
7. Stevie Wonder
8. Al Jackson Jr.
9. Chester Thompson
10. Richard Allen
11. Joseph Modeliste

HevyDevy

Coach
Ok, good list - I'll give you that.

Glad you put Vinnie there - he is the greatest.

I still can't believe you've got Ringo on that list - he couldn't hold a candle to any of those.

Oh, I'll add in the likes of Carter Beauford, Terry Bozzio, Buddy Rich etc.

They make the kit sing - Ringo really just kept a basic beat. I don't hear any great feel there.

I recall watching a Manu Katche instructional video where he talks about adding "splashes of colour" (he is a master on the hats) and I can hear that in my favourite drummers - Vinnie, Carter etc. I don't hear anything of the sort with Ringo. I don't even notice him.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Christmas Ape said:
I defy any of you clowns to sit down at a drumset and play with his feel and musicality.

The drumming to the beatles songs was hardly rocket science, it was never about being brillant, just keeping in time with a reasonable beat.

I'm a huge Beatles fan believe me! but Ringo was just a simple drummer. His drumming required very little complexity so i dont know how people could rate him so highly. Put him in front of one of Alexs 4 base drum sets and then i'll judge him;-)

He never really was tested.

Feel for an instrument is not a skill, dont you think everyone that plays an instrument has some sort of feel or emotional attachment?

I agree on Bonham though.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
carcharias said:

Whoa.... you ever played with a large variety of different drummers?

You can have a sh*t hot band, with a poor drummer, and the band sounds poor.

You can have an average band with a killer drummer, and the band sounds like complete pros.

By the way... Ringo better than Ginger Baker.. don't think so.

carcharias

Immortal
Kurt Angle said:
Whoa.... you ever played with a large variety of different drummers?

You can have a sh*t hot band, with a poor drummer, and the band sounds poor.

You can have an average band with a killer drummer, and the band sounds like complete pros.

By the way... Ringo better than Ginger Baker.. don't think so.

read the rest of what I wrote......even Dev who is a drummer agrees.

I have a sh*t hot drummer in my band now.

I will play him a song once and he will remember all the stops etc 3 weeks later.

Bonham was a god.
So was Keith Moon.

Charlie Watts get kudos from a lot of great drummers so I will take their word for it.
Dave Grohl played with a lot of passion...the foo fighters drummer goes good I reckon.

Copeland however is better than most.

HevyDevy

Coach
Copeland had that colour that Katche was talking about.

Superb on the hats, great drummer.

I'm not happy either - a mate of mine sent an email around a few months ago asking which of us wanted to go to The Police. I was overseas at the time and didn't get the email so I missed out!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Christmas Ape said:

with one hand or two ?

you can't be serious

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
carcharias said:

maybe to the untrained ear

I heard Phil Collins play Rock and Roll (the song) live with Led Zep after Bonzo died, and it was almost like another cover band were playing it

sounded nothing like the original

carcharias said:
How many drummers write the tunes?

quite alot, ever heard Dream Theatre, the drummer writes every note for every instrument, but chooses to play the drums rather than guitar

umm.....,Dave Groll, Joey Jordison Slipknot Drummer and guitarist for Murder Dolls

I could go on

carcharias said:
As for Ringo ....Paul McCartney played the drums on the white album.

which shows how easy the Beatles stuff was to play

carcharias said:
don't get me wrong there some shyte hot drummers around ...but they haven't really steered the course of musical change....they just helped the momentum.

I totally disagree