What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Flanagan Issue

imasharkie

Coach
This article comes from Hooper, so who can believe it, but I'm very excited if it's true. Bring back Flanno.
The elephant in the room for the rookie coach is previous Sharks coach Shane Flanagan.

Flanagan is still banned from being a head coach until 2022 at the earliest – which coincidentally is when Morris’s current contract expires.

There are continual links made between Flanagan and a possible return to Cronulla when his head coaching ban expires.

Believe us, it's happening.

The only way Morris can torpedo this out of the water is by winning games and earning a new contract.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/7a3dc68ad722cd0cab354ab47c0fa85b

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
If that happens I’d be pretty upset for Bomber. He’s done an astute job with what he’s got (including a heavy salary cap fine) and has brought through what, 10 maybe more, kids into the team and turned them into very good footballers. Flanno would probably sack them all and go sign the same amount of old blokes

ghoti

Bench
i do think its a bad idea to sign Morris up long-term from here, but surely he's earned the right to bring these kids to fruition... I don't know if Morris is a long-term first grade coach, but he's doing a great job of crisis management, running on a lean salary cap and developing youth into the NRL. He'll build a great bedrock, but we won't know if he's a franchise coach for a long time..

f**k no to Flanno coming back, he had his spell and won the premiership and f**ked us up and left. That's a good enough arc, and Morris seems the perfect transition for a rebuild...then bring in, if available, a supercoach to bring everything to a top 4 standard.

We're f**ked if Flanno returns

i do think its a bad idea to sign Morris up long-term from here, but surely he's earned the right to bring these kids to fruition... I don't know if Morris is a long-term first grade coach, but he's doing a great job of crisis management, running on a lean salary cap and developing youth into the NRL. He'll build a great bedrock, but we won't know if he's a franchise coach for a long time..

f**k no to Flanno coming back, he had his spell and won the premiership and f**ked us up and left. That's a good enough arc, and Morris seems the perfect transition for a rebuild...then bring in, if available, a supercoach to bring everything to a top 4 standard.

Great post.

Version IV

Juniors

There is no rush on Bomber contract finishes end of next year, it's not like he is a coach that players leave if not there, well not yet.
Add to that always plenty of coaches around, Fitzgibbon is available end of next year, Green could be option.
We don't need Flanno and the board already line through Kearney and McGregor

Frenzy.

Immortal
If that happens I’d be pretty upset for Bomber. He’s done an astute job with what he’s got (including a heavy salary cap fine) and has brought through what, 10 maybe more, kids into the team and turned them into very good footballers. Flanno would probably sack them all and go sign the same amount of old blokes

He (Pissflap) certainly would not have given them as many games. He just did NOT use rookies.

blue bags

First Grade
flanno back to sharks twenty 1, as a tactician , assistant coach maybe
reports of no contract so far

This just made me Laugh Out Loud literally.
The Flange having a go at the club and backing Morris?????
Where was he saying that when there was all the speculation about him coming back going on????
No where!
As if he wouldn't white ant Bomber the first chance he got, if was ever given a chance!
Just ask Sticky.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/7c882e995f261bf9806d00cc9b853f48

Premiership-winning Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has expressed his bemusement at Cronulla officials making moves to offload John Morris and replace him with Craig Fitzgibbon.
Flanagan weighed in on the Sharks’ coaching situation on Monday, after Cronulla halfback Shaun Johnson implored club bosses to stick by the off-contract Morris on Fox League.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? > Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >

“He hasn’t had any control over the roster,” Johnson said on the Matty Johns Show. “He’s been in a situation where our cap has been shot the last couple of years and he’s made do with what he’s got.”
Morris made the finals the first two years of his maiden head coaching job.

799910_640x360_large_20210411204932.jpg

Johnson surprised by Morris axing

2:17
And Flanagan – the man he replaced – says he can’t understand why the Sharks are so reluctant to keep a hold of him.

“For me it’s a bit disappointing,” he told Triple M.

“Look at this coaching, the Sharks aren’t going that bad.

“They played OK in the first half against the Roosters and they got run down in the second half.

5f5904349c32134a4a829d47d1ba2d18

Former Cronulla Sharks coach Shane FlanaganSource: News Corp Australia
“But a coach could hardly be blamed for that performance, the players probably need to have a good look at themselves. He’s got the team in the eight the last two years.

“For me, being a Sharks fans and I live in the area, I think he’s done a reasonable job, yeah they haven’t been in the top four and I know that’s what the club pride themselves on but there’s been some difficult circumstances.

“There’s been some good players out of form or injured over that period.

“You’ve got to get a bit of luck and to be honest, I feel a bit sorry for John Morris because the club hasn’t told us why they’re getting rid of him.

“They keep trotting out the excuse that they want to be a top-four club and John can’t attract the players to the club hat they need to. I don’t cop that. I want to know why they are going to get rid of him.”

108602c4b07aecdddf0fe62af0245f05

Sharks coach John Morris talks in a post match press conferenceSource: Getty Images
Fitzgibbon would likely take charge at the end of this season when his contract as an assistant at the Roosters expires.

He will have to preside over the futures of 14 off-contract players, with Flangan saying he will under pressure to make the right decisions and deliver on the lofty expectations of the club’s board.

“I think sometimes a change is needed but I can’t get my head around why they’re getting rid of John Morris to be honest,” Flanagan added.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

“I know a lot of people say his hand has been tied behind his back, but he’s got a fair football team.

3d170c87e0b24c9107e91bd873f0a50b

Craig Fitzgibbon is tipped to take charge at the SharksSource: News Corp Australia
“They might not have won semi-finals, for me I keep coming back to that point – why are they going to get rid of him?

“I just don’t understand. If they are going with Craig Fitzgibbon, they’re going in with another coach who has been around a bit and understands what needs to be done at NRL level but he hasn’t been a first-grade coach.

799818_640x360_large_20210410224222.jpg

Sharks press conference

7:47
“Once you’re in that seat, everything changes and you need to get results straight away.

“If the Sharks say they want to be a top-four side and attract players to the club, then he’s going to be in the spotlight straight away.”

Latest posts