What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The fraud thread

Big Pete

Referee
Oh he definitely redefined the fullback position. They even brought in the 7 tackle set to stop players kicking the ball dead rather than have Slater bring it out of the in goal.
But it wasn't because he was the first (or best) ball playing fullback. I was because in his prime he was the complete package which has become the benchmark for modern fullbacks. Plenty of number ones could do something better than Billy, no one could do everything as well.
I don't remember that tactic being that common to begin with. I know what you're talking about and do recall a Titans game where they deliberately kicked out on the full to disrupt the Storm. However I also remember the 2010 season opener where the Dragons did it to Jarryd Hayne. It was a variation on keeping the ball out of play which had been around for decades and was famously pushed by Brian Smith to beat Brisbane (and was successful).

That whole era was made up of fullbacks who could do everything. There was even an argument around that time that Billy wasn't even the best fullback at his own club. However what made Billy was his competitiveness and ability to adapt his game and improve as he got older.

If you're going to push for Slater revolutionising the fullback position, it was how he got the leading with your foot rule outlawed in the in-goal. Came up with a brilliant play in that Broncos/Storm 08 classic, not so much in that 2008 GF.

MugaB

Coach
I don't remember that tactic being that common to begin with. I know what you're talking about and do recall a Titans game where they deliberately kicked out on the full to disrupt the Storm. However I also remember the 2010 season opener where the Dragons did it to Jarryd Hayne. It was a variation on keeping the ball out of play which had been around for decades and was famously pushed by Brian Smith to beat Brisbane (and was successful).

That whole era was made up of fullbacks who could do everything. There was even an argument around that time that Billy wasn't even the best fullback at his own club. However what made Billy was his competitiveness and ability to adapt his game and improve as he got older.

If you're going to push for Slater revolutionising the fullback position, it was how he got the leading with your foot rule outlawed in the in-goal. Came up with a brilliant play in that Broncos/Storm 08 classic, not so much in that 2008 GF.
Or getting off on shoulder charges to play finals games
billy WINS.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore

Yeah the kicking it dead to nullify Billy myth belongs in this thread as well.

Uncle Nosferatu basically did it to every team in 2010 IIRC. And it wasn't specifically to nullify the fullbacks, it was to get a set line defending the opposition bringing it out.

Wow - the name does ring a bell and I can't believe anyone would remember me from rleague because I pretty much only posted there from 2002-2003 (although may have posted sporadically after mostly moving here in 2003).

I see you've been here since 2007 but don't have a huge number of posts, have you returned to more regular posting in the last little while?
It's been an on-and-off experience for me with LU. I used to be more active on RL in the past. I recall a few people from RL appearing on here or using the same handles from RL. I'm not entirely sure if all of them are the same people though.

Increased my activity on here since our resurgence and rebirth at our club. It's a new era I am enjoying and I guess the buzz catching on nationwide is making me more vocal lol

Last edited:

Latest posts