What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Grand Final Heist

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hey guys,

I got the book 'The Great Grand Final Heist' by Ian Heads for Christmas. Whilst the Title makes you think the whole book is centered around the 1969 Grand Final, thats really only a small part. Its basically about Rugby League in the 60s and is a great read. Whilst Balmain are the main focus there's still a lot about the Legendary Rabbits side of that time that dominated the late 60s, early 70s.

For someone like me who can remember league when it wasnt professional it was a real throw back to those times. Talking about how players worked full time and the extremely strong bush footy which today is sadly non existent.

Its something that I believe any rugby league fan, and particuarly Tigers and Rabbits fans, would enjoy.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Hey guys,

I got the book 'The Great Grand Final Heist' by Ian Heads for Christmas. Whilst the Title makes you think the whole book is centered around the 1969 Grand Final, thats really only a small part. Its basically about Rugby League in the 60s and is a great read. Whilst Balmain are the main focus there's still a lot about the Legendary Rabbits side of that time that dominated the late 60s, early 70s.

For someone like me who can remember league when it wasnt professional it was a real throw back to those times. Talking about how players worked full time and the extremely strong bush footy which today is sadly non existent.

Its something that I believe any rugby league fan, and particuarly Tigers and Rabbits fans, would enjoy.

I think it’s unbelievable to think that players would work part time jobs whilst balancing professional footy as well. Today’s footy players may be superb athletes but the footy players of the past actually loved playing footy for the sport itself. Would of been a great time to grow up playing and watching.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think it’s unbelievable to think that players would work part time jobs whilst balancing professional footy as well. Today’s footy players may be superb athletes but the footy players of the past actually loved playing footy for the sport itself. Would of been a great time to grow up playing and watching.

The biggest thing I took from it was that the clubs had a genuine community feel. Virtually the entire Balmain squad worked at the docks at Balmain, then after work would drink at at the local pubs with everyone else who lived and worked in the area.

Also with the bush footy how some country clubs had more money then the sydney clubs so would come and poach first graders in their prime to go and play in the bush!

Re souths I knew they were strong back then but I don’t think I appreciated how good they were. Again with the genuine club squads they had back then it was an exciting time for the Rabbitohs in the mid 60s when they had a group of kids coming through the club together (McCarthy, Simms, Cleary, O’Neil etc). They won a few under 23 comps which showed what was to come. Then to see the local kids all playing first grade, winning comps together etc. It’s a shame we don’t experience things like that anymore.

"Professional" footy back then was nowhere near what it is today though. In a lot of ways, the top tier comp in the 60's and 70's very much resembles what the Sydney A Grade comp is like today. Blokes getting together to train for a few hours, a couple of days per week. Having a game on the weekend and then getting blind with the same blokes after the game.

Pro rugby league players of those years weren't much fitter than the average park footballer. The only real difference was the level of talent. My father would have played for Souths at some point in the early 70's but for an eye injury which basically ruined his League career. Prior to the injury he was mates with the likes of McCarthy and Sattler. He trained with them a few times and also played the odd game of beach footy with the Souths squad. He was as fit as, if not fitter than most of them but he will tell you that the difference was definitely in the talent.

He reckons that trying to tackle Bob McCarthy was like trying to tackle a mobile block of concrete. Says you would line McCarthy up and go in to tackle him, but he had this thing he used to do with his hips where he used to flick them into you as you were coming in to hit him. Dad reckons it was like trying to tackle a 60kg tree stump that had been thrown at you. He used to fend you off with his hips.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Yes Vic they were great days and things were so simple and in a way so innocent.
I still have to pinch myself that I went to 5 consecutive Grand Finals with the family and we won 4 of them,by the time I was 8,what a grand childhood it was.
My Dad and Simmsy were great mates working the docks at Port Botany,Eric would do split shifts and still play footy and kick goals and field goals from all over the place,probably the most laid back gentle man I've had the pleasure of knowing!
One of my uncles done several tours of Vietnam, but somehow always made it back for the GF's!

Yes Vic they were great days and things were so simple and in a way so innocent.
I still have to pinch myself that I went to 5 consecutive Grand Finals with the family and we won 4 of them,by the time I was 8,what a grand childhood it was.
My Dad and Simmsy were great mates working the docks at Port Botany,Eric would do split shifts and still play footy and kick goals and field goals from all over the place,probably the most laid back gentle man I've had the pleasure of knowing!
One of my uncles done several tours of Vietnam, but somehow always made it back for the GF's!

My Dad is an old wharfie as well. Knew Simmsy so probably also knows your old man. Althoug Dad spent most of his career working at Darling Harbour before that was closed down.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
My Dad is an old wharfie as well. Knew Simmsy so probably also knows your old man. Althoug Dad spent most of his career working at Darling Harbour before that was closed down.
Mate your from good stock,you can't touch me I'm part of the Union,till the day I die!
Wouldn't surprise me if they drank and punched on together at the Botany Bay!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The biggest thing I took from it was that the clubs had a genuine community feel. Virtually the entire Balmain squad worked at the docks at Balmain, then after work would drink at at the local pubs with everyone else who lived and worked in the area.

Also with the bush footy how some country clubs had more money then the sydney clubs so would come and poach first graders in their prime to go and play in the bush!

Re souths I knew they were strong back then but I don’t think I appreciated how good they were. Again with the genuine club squads they had back then it was an exciting time for the Rabbitohs in the mid 60s when they had a group of kids coming through the club together (McCarthy, Simms, Cleary, O’Neil etc). They won a few under 23 comps which showed what was to come. Then to see the local kids all playing first grade, winning comps together etc. It’s a shame we don’t experience things like that anymore.

How good is that. You could’ve been working right next to you’re favourite footy player.

It feels like people only go to bush footy now as a retirement plan which is an absolute shame. I know it’s not bush footy but I was down at Oberon last year watching the country boys play and it’s so different to watching first grade. Tackling is just so clean. No chicken wings, no dropping players on their heads. Players actually go for the legs and it’s refreshing to see.

Yeah it’s an absolute shame. Clubs are given no advantage to retain juniors and are thus given no reason to develop them. I feel like this is something that needs to change but I don’t know how you could do it. Maybe give clubs junior grants?!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
"Professional" footy back then was nowhere near what it is today though. In a lot of ways, the top tier comp in the 60's and 70's very much resembles what the Sydney A Grade comp is like today. Blokes getting together to train for a few hours, a couple of days per week. Having a game on the weekend and then getting blind with the same blokes after the game.

Pro rugby league players of those years weren't much fitter than the average park footballer. The only real difference was the level of talent. My father would have played for Souths at some point in the early 70's but for an eye injury which basically ruined his League career. Prior to the injury he was mates with the likes of McCarthy and Sattler. He trained with them a few times and also played the odd game of beach footy with the Souths squad. He was as fit as, if not fitter than most of them but he will tell you that the difference was definitely in the talent.

He reckons that trying to tackle Bob McCarthy was like trying to tackle a mobile block of concrete. Says you would line McCarthy up and go in to tackle him, but he had this thing he used to do with his hips where he used to flick them into you as you were coming in to hit him. Dad reckons it was like trying to tackle a 60kg tree stump that had been thrown at you. He used to fend you off with his hips.

Yeah I’ve definitely heard that. I’ve also heard that a lot of players that play now wouldn’t be able to handle what the NRL was like in the 60’s, 70’s. I haven’t watched many games obviously but from what I’ve heard some teams consistently got into fights every single game.

That’s a great story about McCarthy though. What does your dad think about the comparisons of Crichton to McCarthy?

Yeah I’ve definitely heard that. I’ve also heard that a lot of players that play now wouldn’t be able to handle what the NRL was like in the 60’s, 70’s. I haven’t watched many games obviously but from what I’ve heard some teams consistently got into fights every single game.

That’s a great story about McCarthy though. What does your dad think about the comparisons of Crichton to McCarthy?

Crichton is a name that can't be mentioned in my fathers house at the moment so unfortunately I can't ask him. lol.

Also... The 1969 Grand Final is something else that can't be mentioned in front of Dad. He was there that day and reckons it was the most disgraceful thing he's seen on a sporting field. He may well be a little biased though.

I might get him a copy of that book. He's an avid reader and I'm sure that book would be right up his alley. He'll either enjoy it or burn it depending on the slant that Ian Heads takes on the game. Either way, he'll read it.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Crichton is a name that can't be mentioned in my fathers house at the moment so unfortunately I can't ask him. lol.

Hahaha I love how personal every Souths supporter has taken it. I took a dip into the Penrith forum when they lost Cartwright and they could barely give a shit. I guess he’s not as good as Crichton but I still rate him as a player.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hahaha I love how personal every Souths supporter has taken it. I took a dip into the Penrith forum when they lost Cartwright and they could barely give a shit. I guess he’s not as good as Crichton but I still rate him as a player.
He's gone to filth that's why.......

Some of our members will really hoe into him.....

Obviously he's more attached to them over there...

Yet we gave him a brilliant chance to make a name for himself and become a club legend and he threw it right back in our face....... it's like he's flushing the toilet onto us so to speak and then tying us up.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He's gone to filth that's why.......

Some of our members will really hoe into him.....

Obviously he's more attached to them over there...

Yet we gave him a brilliant chance to make a name for himself and become a club legend and he threw it right back in our face....... it's like he's flushing the toilet onto us so to speak and then tying us up.....

Of course. I’m just as pissed off as everyone else. As long as the roosters paid 800k though I’m happy with that. That’s actually good business by Souths. It’s unfortunate but we have a few more gooduns coming through. Rodwell will be something special I reckon.

Curns13

Juniors
I’m a QLD member and every year after the Broncos game, the club puts on a signing session just before they leave on the bus. I don’t think I’ll even be able to look Angus in the eye. Not sure i’ll say anything but I can’t see myself getting his autograph again.

ThingFish

Juniors
I’m a QLD member and every year after the Broncos game, the club puts on a signing session just before they leave on the bus. I don’t think I’ll even be able to look Angus in the eye. Not sure i’ll say anything but I can’t see myself getting his autograph again.
Yeah I think the only Angus autograph I’ll get this year is on my 22nd Premiership 2018 framed GF jersey. After that screw it.