What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Homebrew Thread

TiggaPlease

The cream ale I'm about to brew will have 750gm of corn flakes in it, I know you're meant to use plain flaked corn, but from what I've read the other ingredients will essentially act as a yeast nutrient.

This will be the first adjunct I've used since switching to AG, pretty interested how it turns out.

Are you just harvesting the slurry? Washing or not?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The cream ale I'm about to brew will have 750gm of corn flakes in it, I know you're meant to use plain flaked corn, but from what I've read the other ingredients will essentially act as a yeast nutrient.

This will be the first adjunct I've used since switching to AG, pretty interested how it turns out.

Are you just harvesting the slurry? Washing or not?

There is a Milo Breakfast Stout recipe on AHB using the breakfast cereal that I'm really interested in. I'll be keen to hear how the corn flakes go.

I'm washing the trub off the bottom and then transferring into jars until I get enough yeast to store. It's actually quite easy once you just have a go at it.

TiggaPlease

Adds extra fermentable sugars without adding body.

So you're essentially replacing a % of your grain bill with one of these.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yep. Most American lagers and Japanese beers use rice. It provides that super dry mouth feel. Really cheap too.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
So you just boil up some rice and add it to the mash or do you put uncooked rice in the mash?

I take 1kg of uncooked white rice and boil it in 4L of water for 20min or until it's all gluggy and mushy. Then I just add all of it (rice and water) to the mash. It helps if you're doing a step mash and you've started at a lower temperature. You can raise the temp by adding the rice in straight off the boil, or wait until it has cooled to your current mash temp.

You can do the same thing with polenta (and a bunch of different cereals) but rice tends to be the cheapest.

Interestingly, I was talking to someone the other night who added Corn Flakes to their mash and found the result to be a little salty.

TiggaPlease

Interestingly, I was talking to someone the other night who added Corn Flakes to their mash and found the result to be a little salty.

Hopefully I'll be brewing this one up in the next week or so, I'll let you know how it goes.

I found that I would occasionally get a "salty" after taste to my beers before I started adding a pinch potassium metabisulfite to my brewing water, I figure it was the chloramines in the water.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yep, definitely keen to know the outcome as I've very interested in some of these unorthodox adjuncts that people are using.

I'm brewing this one tomorrow morning:

Benny's Big Red Rye:

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.45 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 3
0.85 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 4
0.85 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5
0.21 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6
0.02 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 7
25.00 g Centennial [11.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 38.2 IBUs
40.00 g Centennial [11.30%] - Late Wort 10.0 min Hop 22.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
25.00 g Centennial [11.30%] (Dry Hop 10 days)

Going to start at 5am to avoid the midday heat. Will be shooting for around 6% and a real spicy but fruity aftertaste from this Rye. I've not brewed with Rye before so I'm hoping it lives up to expectations. The Roasted Barley should give a burnt toffee and raisin note, while the rye should give it heaps of body. I'll be using extra rice hulls this time as I've read the roast barley can gum up the mash something chronic.

TiggaPlease

I just downloaded that same recipe from AHB yesterday! Great minds ay.

Only made one recipe with rye so far and it turned out pretty well, it was a pale ale with simcoe as the main hop.

I do my brewing at night when the kids are in bed, will hopefully be putting this one down tonight:

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 87.5 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 12.5 %
30.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.40 %] - First Wo Hop 3 22.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 4 -
30.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.40 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 5 4.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belle Saison (Danstar #) Yeast 6 -

Should come in at about 5% abv

TiggaPlease

You'll get a strong dried fruit flavour from the Caraaroma, it's by far the strongest tasting crystal malt I've ever used, gives an amazing colour too.

I had a look at all the brew dog recipes. They are all seriously bitter, there are also a lot that are above the measurable taste level of IBU. Theres not many recipes under 50 IBU. Not for me really. 15-40IBU is my range at the moment.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
LOL. I'm really keen to see what this one turns out like. The Stone and Wood will be kegged and carbed next weekend so hopefully I'll have a mix of session and non-session on tap.

That Brewdog download has shitload of recipes. Definitely will be printing that out.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Off topic a little - I was at one of my favourite local burger joints last Saturday night and they poured me a sample of their Hop Soda. Essentially they make a syrup out of sugar, hops and water. The hops they used were Galaxy and Cascade. They then mix it with soda water off the tap. It was amazing. Obviously there was a shitload of sugar in it, but the flavour of the hops was so refreshing. I'm gonna try it. I have a 3 tap kegerator so I usually run two beers and a smaller keg of soda water for mixers.

The bartender was telling me he brings everything up to a simmer and then just lets it all steep in. I reckon probably 10 minutes of simmering then let everything cool to room temp and strain the syrup into a bottle.

So whats a good session pale ale recipe thats not overly hoppy or bitter? One that you would share with friends and family who just normally drink commercial beers? I want more flavour than commercial beers but something that isnt too full on for part timers.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Honestly? Stone & Wood Pacific Ale. Most people know it by now and it is most aptly described as a "gateway ale" to craft beer.

If you're after something different, you can just try something with Ale malt, a little wheat for head retention and pick your favourite hop. Put a little in early for bitterness and then smash the rest in late and dry hop it. The colour will be acceptable to friends and family and you'll be able to show off to people how home brew can be just as good (better) than commercial. The lacing of foam around the glass alone will make them ask you if you really made it.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Otherwise you could try Dr Smurtos Golden Ale - a great craft ale for new drinkers:

Malt & Fermentables

2.4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.8 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.8 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.25 kg Weyermann Caramunich I
Hops
20 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 60mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 5mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 0mins)
Yeast
11.5 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc

TiggaPlease

I was going to suggest Dr Smurto's too.

Otherwise you could just make a simple blonde ale like biermuncher's centennial blonde:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

Only comes in at 21 IBU and the people on homebrew talk seem to rave about it.

I've only been brewing 35 IBU and up lately, but have lots of lower bitterness brews planned to try hone my technique.

I was going to suggest Dr Smurto's too.

Otherwise you could just make a simple blonde ale like biermuncher's centennial blonde:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

Only comes in at 21 IBU and the people on homebrew talk seem to rave about it.

I've only been brewing 35 IBU and up lately, but have lots of lower bitterness brews planned to try hone my technique.

Looks like a pale ale to me not a blonde. I'd imagine that recipe would be too dark for a blonde using pale malt instead of pilsener.

I have a blonde ale cold crashing at the moment but made a few mistakes with it along the way. Its Basically 4.5kg Pilsener malt, 500g wheat, 500g munich, 44g Saaz @ 60 10g saaz at 10min.

Fingers crossed it turns out ok.