What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the new bowie album BLACKSTAR

bedlam breakout

Juniors
is it another case of "this is good because its bowie"? or has he genuinely put out another great piece of work to rank along side of the others, for me, well maybe on first listen or even second it just seems more of the same art rock , no thundering catchy choruses, no mad guitar and drum fusions and no real surprises, sure its always good to see new material from such iconic artists but maybe his last great work was scary monsters which is now scarily 36 years old itself!

I am such a huge Bowie fan, his work the the 70s was brilliant, always ground breaking. I didn't know he had cancer, this is such a shock.

Lynoman

Bench
Never realised how much he influenced me until now, was always just a part of me, I suppose.

Very sad right now.

Brutus

Referee
Extremely sad day. My fave musical artist of all.

Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger and Scary Monsters for mine was as good as it gets. 76 to 80 was Bowie at his best.

The lyrics of Blackstar take on a whole new meaning now that he knew he was going to die. The Lazurus lyrics especially.

Foz

Bench
To this day I don't know why my mum basically banned me from buying the Pinups album.
Must of been early 70s.
I had bought the single Sorrow and my brother had a copy of an earlier Bowie song called the laughing gnome.Maybe she got sick of us playing them.
I used to save my pocket money and then give it to mum to buy the records for me.She used to order the records through work.
Was the only album she refused to get for me.
As I grew older I bought a couple of his greatest hits albums but never got around to getting pin ups.
Might get it now and ask my mum why she never let me have it back then.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Pins Ups is all covers, mind you some good ones.

[youtube]g9NivaKUFME[/youtube]

Here's some trivia for you BS.

Bowie's "Pinups" and Bryan Ferry's "These Foolish Things" were both albums of covers released in the UK on the same day in October 1973.

"Pinups" topped the UK album charts while "These Foolish Things" reached number 5.

Anyway "Rosalyn" is my fav track from "Pinups".

Foz...I'd say the reason your Mum didn't let you have Pinups was the androgynous cover pic. :-k

Actually I was wrong on that, it was Floyds "See Emily play" on pin ups, not "Arnold layne". Still, good reason to post the clip.

I bought Blackstar on Saturday.

With the kids on school holidays, I didn't get a chance to listen to it.

Now...well...

The kids are wondering why I'm having a sniffle. Just doesn't seem real. Lazarus is amazing and reminds me of the knowing of one's time is up a la Queen's These Are The Days Of Our Lives.

Had Never Get Old on just before. Sigh.

I have to say, I was born in 1976. So for me, Bowie was Dancing in the Street, Labyrinth and Let's Dance - the peak commercial era - and then working backwards and forwards.

AS uncool as it may be, my fave song of his is As The World Falls Down. Just magic.

Followed by Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars and The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell.

RIP.

Brutus

Referee
I've read where Bowie recorded further tracks in his final few months and has a vault full of unreleased stuff from over the years.

Plenty of new DB stuff to consume over the coming years it seems.

Would like to hear unheard rarities from the low, heroes, lodger, scary monsters period.

So Blackstar may not be his final album. Definitely a 'death' album if I ever saw one though.

Latest posts