What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The official Hegs-watch thread

Nemesis

Bench
Hegs will slot in at five-eigth which will really help Thurston and give Hegs an opportunity to shine in his preferred position which he will of course.
Are you serious AM... Hegs in his preferred position at 5/8?

With all due respect, Hegs has never played 5/8 in his entire career. In his six years at the Roosters and four years at Souths he has only ever played in two positions... wing and centre.

Tommax25

Bench
Well with the halves he's had to play with over the years, that's a bloody good return.

no its not, no matter how you spin it. merrit has had the exact same halves that hegarty has had to play with and has scored more than him, in less time. in fact, he scored more in one season than hegs has in the past 5. he is sh*t.

African Monkey

First Grade
Guys if you want criticise hegs then can you guys make a thread and leave it out of here. I don't know what hegs has done wrong tbh.

adamkungl

Immortal
Surely Dave is taking the piss....AM i'm not so sure, he was a Ben Rogers fanatic iirc... he's like a fly to dogsh*t when it comes to useless players

Nemesis

Bench
Guys if you want criticise hegs then can you guys make a thread and leave it out of here. I don't know what hegs has done wrong tbh.
Nobody wants to criticise Hegs AM, but you can't expect not to be challenged when you make comments like "he was outstanding for us" and "Hegs will slot in at five-eigth", when you don't provide any factual basis for those comments... and quite frankly, they simply aren't true.

Being a fan of a player is one thing, but misrepresenting the facts about them is another.

African Monkey

First Grade
Hegs always played out of position at Souths but we never heard him complain once which really tells us what he's really like as a person in general.

Dave Q

Coach
Earth to World: Dave is serious about Hegs.

I admit he wasnt the greatest player ever, but I think people were and still are, far too quick to criticise him.

Those Hegs photos, apart from Sonic, they are from my personal collection.

Dont forget....Im the guy who told Roy to move over so I could get a better shot at Hegs.

Hegs had one of the longest queues on fan-day last year.

I digress:

Im thinking Hegs could handle 5/8 but I think he will end up as Outside Centre ( ie where Bestie will play).

Mad dog did OK when he went back to the knights and I am hoping Shannon will shine at the Cowboys.

I hope hes not there just to take up the ball on the 2nd or 3rd tackle. That was 80% of his role at Souths. Important sure but fairly ho-hum as an core activity.

Generally speaking, AM is right about this thread. Its supposed to be about kindness to Hegs as opposed to a chance for the Hegs Haters to get their rocks off.

But I suppose its a free forum.

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade
The Cowboys need someone who can make the five-eigth position their own and I feel that Hegs is the man to do so.

Dave Q

Coach
The Cowboys need someone who can make the five-eigth position their own and I feel that Hegs is the man to do so.

Sat2HegsNeverwalkalone.jpg

I am sure he could have a fair go at it.

He can pass pretty well, has a decent step and some leg strength.

Nemesis

Bench
Centre. He was always wasted on the wing.
Ok, if you look at his stats for 2007 (the year we made the semis), when Hegs played centre for all but 2 games, they still don't look good.

tbh, I can't really see that he was any better in the centres than he was out on the wing. Centres and wingers are supposed to score tries and whichever way you look at it, 12 tries in 5 seasons is simply nowhere near good enough for a centre or wing playing in the NRL.

S.H.%20Stats.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
With the greatest of respect I am not sure that it is as simple as that Nemsy.

A better measure is to look at genuine opportunities to score, and my educated guess is that he nailed the vast majority of those that came his way. I know he created a number on his ownsome.

Not all centres and wingers get the opportunities, Hegs played in some very ordinary teams. He became estranged from the ball.

Through injury, he only played around a half of all games possible for Souths. So really, number of tries etc should be counted over 2 years not 4, in which case, hes done OK. And thats without the genuine opportunity argument above.

Quality not quantity.

JT thought he was quality and gave him heaps of game time.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Bench
I know you're huge Hegs fan Dave and I know he CAN play well... you don't make the Qld SOO or Kangaroo side unless you're a good player.

But I can't help thinking that he must have had a lot of things on his mind other than football over the last few years.

I hope the change of scenery will help him and that he does play well for the cows... as long as he doesn't play well against us.

Btw... what's going on with your sig Dave? What's this **Maximum 400 x 100 - 20ish Kb** stuff all about?

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade
But I can't help thinking that he must have had a lot of things on his mind other than football over the last few years.
He was having relationship problems throughout last year so as far as I'm concerned, he did a bloody good job for us.

Nemesis

Bench
He was having relationship problems throughout last year so as far as I'm concerned, he did a bloody good job for us.
I have a different opinion of him, but I respect yours AM and I also wish Hegs all the best for his future at the Cowboys.

Dave Q

Coach
wd nems,

Coby has offered me the vital stats and I am keeping them so when i switch banners around I will be able to display them.

Last edited: