What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The other mob (Forum 7's talk)

Will we get past the PVP Cup qualifiers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edabomb

First Grade
I have requested a name change to: Thomas Pirovano [CNTDN]

Although it would seem TiTTieS and I are the only two still devoted to the Death Ninjas.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Well add the suffix then Quinny. We know you are all ninja through and through. It will just look cool.

And Herb/Edabomb, who the hell is this new person you will be morphing in to?

edabomb

First Grade
TiTTieS said:
And Herb/Edabomb, who the hell is this new person you will be morphing in to?

An old school friend of mine who was killed by a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick, he accused Chuck of being mortal.

edabomb

First Grade
I think my CNTDN contributions should help me avoid any stray roundhouse kicks. I'm praying anyway.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
It's comments like that which will ensure that the Raiders F7s team will once again not win the competition :p We have team unity and harmony - without even having a team in the F7s as you pointed out. Good luck with the comp, jed, as I'm sure you will need it :p

paulquinn49

Bench
In all fairness to Jed I dont think he is as bad as the Raiders, however no one really knows about the team Jed plays for (Lions), mostly cause I think no one cares about them.

CNTDN caused the hearts of many opposition players and supporters to melt with their casual, laid back and caring approach to what many consider a brutal game. For this reason I would classify CNTDN apart of the Forum 7's competition of 2006.

2007 will be a year of change and excitement when the 2 most entertaining teams in the history of their respective competitions re-enter ...Titans and Ninjas.

We have drawn alot of inspiration from the Disney movie Cool Runnings, we are very similar in that we were everyones favourites and we fell at the last hurdle, but dammit we are carrying our bobsled and crossing the finish line, then we will return as equals making Norris and Jamaica proud.

paulquinn49

Bench
Nah no way, Titans may bump Melbourne down to my 3rd favourite side though. The only way id think of defecting to Titans Forum 7's side (If they have one) is if Chuck was to become the Titans NRL mascot.

He would smash Victor imo, MC Hammerhead would even try, wuss

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Quinny, we need to have our own little thing going so that I can have a good laugh each week. Your posts usually crack me up - at least the ones you post in Off the Raider. Even a weekly quote would be good, but something a little bit more would provide some good entertainment value.

paulquinn49

Bench
As discussed before I reckon if we pointed out faults and took the piss out of the articles the Faders posted every week it would remain very entertaining.

GE will probably bash me though haha

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
All right Quinny, sounds good to me :) Just couldn't be arsed to trawl through all the posts to see what we settled on.

Maybe if we use a rotation system where I might take the first poster one week, you take the second, edabomb takes the third etc etc then the next week I take poster number 2 and you take poster number 3 and so on and so on. Or maybe we can "mark" a poster that we comment on each week. Naturally, you can take Greeneyed seeing how much you love the old fella :) I'll take 69 and pick his grammar to pieces :lol: Whoever takes thickos wil be a brave man.

paulquinn49

Bench
Its gotta b more tan grammar tho haha

It has to be the content, whether it was correctly used, or if there was an over usage. Did they get the point across, was it boring, have they done that sob story to death?

I think we need a practise piece. I have found a 69 article from last season. CNTDN input and judging would be appreciated. I will have mine done in 10 mins.

paulquinn49

Bench
Captain Raider_69 takes a hit bursts straight throw the Panthers defence, he comes to the fullback and pops a beautiful ball to support player...
----------------

The Enigma

In this great game of rugby league, much has changed over the past 98 odd years of competition. The code has reached new levels of professionalism for players and clubs alike. Initiatives such as golden point and the video referee have been implemented and of course the competition has expanded nationally and to New Zealand.

With these changes has come greater emphasis on the young rookie players. Clubs are nurturing talent from a younger age in the hope of breeding the ultimate player and the premierships that come with that. Every year clubs aim to make their players bigger, fitter, stronger, faster and ultimately better.

The emergence of young superstars such as Sonny Bill Williams, Anthony Topou and Anthony Watmough has only encouraged such thinking. But in a game as fast paced and frantic as league, is there too much emphasis placed on the young superstar? Do we sometimes we forget the value of a cool, calm and collected old head? A man that doesn’t play the game at the pace that’s set but rather a man that sets his own pace.

This season at the Canberra Raiders we have seen the re-emergence of an enigma. The man concerned is none other than Raiders five eighth and veteran of 16 years of top grade Rugby League - Jason Smith.

Much was made of the 34 year-old, former Australian and Queensland representative, fresh from a four year stint in England. Armed with a husky voice and injury issues, very few were of the opinion that he could cut it, including many Raiders' fans.

I could sit here all day and type of quote after quote - some of them from none other than myself - about possible problems with this signing. But the general consensus was that Jason Smith was too old, too slow and too injury prone to cut it in the NRL.

Put bluntly he was "a has been". People questioned whether a Raiders team with him in the halves could even muster a win. Ironically, after an injury to Smith, the Raiders slumped to five losses in a row and now people say we can’t win without him. But then who could argue, when the 34 year old returned from injury and single handedly snapped the string of losses?

Smith had a chorus of critics and doubters. But he silenced those critics early on with several sublime performances, most notably against the Roosters in Round 5 and the then resurgent Rabbitohs in Round 3, leading the Raiders to an unbeaten five game stretch to start the season and a joint lead of the competition.

Nevertheless, the question remained: why was Jason Smith such success after a four year stint in England? As stated earlier, Jason Smith is an anomaly, a rare breed of player who doesn’t have to adjust to the rapid pace and rigours of your average NRL game. Rather, he sets his own pace. He can simply potter along at his own leisurely speed (often likened to a snail's pace), often touching the ball only a few times per set of six.

But in the limited time he does have the ball in hand, he makes it count. Like a game of poker, he moves slowly, plays concisely and is always thinking a few moves ahead. Often it seems like Jason Smith isn't making anything happen. He pokes, he prods and he takes his time doing it. Like any good poker player he sets the trap and just as quickly as the opposition fall into the trap, the wise old owl springs into action and makes them pay.

He is patient, so much so, he forces the hand of the defence. And when they make a mistake, he has the skills and ability to capitalise. He may be slower but it’s that exact trait that sets the trap for the opposition.

He is an enigma, like no other player in the world today. As the old saying goes “slow and steady wins the race” - and as Jason Smith has shown this year one that is still true in today’s faster paced game. And perhaps sometimes in this fast paced, high intensity game we all love called rugby league, we forget the value of the experienced old timer. Far too many good players head down the path of early retirement. Let’s hope that the timely return of the enigma known as Jason Smith goes some way to reversing such a trend.

Word Count: 747

paulquinn49

Bench
Raider_69 - First let me thank you for trying, it was a brave effort to put yourself on the line.
Stating the obvious sometimes works but your opening line really failed to catch the eye. "In this great game of rugby league, much has changed over the past 98 odd years of competition."

It left me thinking "Oh sh*t, you serious", this sarcastic view would not be possible if you were there in 1908 for the first ever professional game, as the input would be intelligant and relevent.

I find this whole article stupid and fake in that you refer to Smith as some saviour, or a player you hold in the highest regards. This of course is not true when you make your lust for one Todd Carney known to the world.

I have read suggestions where you have said that Smith should be in the second row, so you can have your dream team in the halves. In this article you go on to say "he moves slowly, plays concisely and is always thinking a few moves ahead. Often it seems like Jason Smith isn't making anything happen. He pokes, he prods and he takes his time doing it. Like any good poker player he sets the trap and just as quickly as the opposition fall into the trap, the wise old owl springs into action and makes them pay."

I dont know any second rowers who do all that, sounds like a 5/8 role to me. To have a successful article you must believe what you write.

In conclusion I had a hard time finding what you wanted to achieve with this piece, there was a start but no real middle or meaningful ending. Alot of words were written but it appears you were disinterested in your own piece. It is my opinion that this wasnt even a piece, it was a story.

Stories are all well and good, but this is about writing, blending your views and technique to reach the reader. Unfortuntely for yourself the reader was not reached, they were spoken to and it went in one ear and out the other.

Final score - 43/100

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Nice one Quinny.

Easy enough to read, but the thing that strikes me most is that you wrote about something very close to home. Perhaps a better article would have chronicled the great man's footballing career. Otherwise, what you have written is tantamount to a year 6 dux reciting the alphabet - too easy.

Paragraphing was very ordinary as was your punctuation and grammar in some parts. While I'm sure you took the time to go over it once to check for errors, maybe a second time would be rather helpful.

The engagement factor was very high, but this is only natural as I am a Raiders fan myself. As implied above, something a little further from home would impress more - even with a poorer article - as it shows you are not operating on autopilot.

70 out of 100.

Latest posts