What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rd 1 thread: Raiders @ Manly *Team named*

raidersforme

Juniors
Canberra Raiders halfback Michael Dobson will make his NRL debut on Saturday night, after he was named in the number seven for the season opener against Manly at Brookvale Oval.
Dobson joins fellow young gun William Zillman in the Raiders starting line-up, after the quick footed Zillman was named at fullback for the opening match.
Zillman said he is looking forward to his return to first grade, and is keen to make an impact in his return to the senior side.
"I’m very happy to be in first grade after a long pre-season and we’re already excited about this weekend and can’t wait," Zillman said. "I just want to get out there and play my best game and at the moment I think that’s running the ball, and getting the ball in my hands."
Zillman said that feeling of being involved is something he is ready for, but also said he is just glad to be in the starting side regardless of his position.
"I want to be around the ball all night and push up in support, and that’s the best way to get my hands on the ball and some room to move," he said. "I like the free range you get at fullback but it’s also good in the centres running a bit wider, and even the halves have their positives."
Raiders Coach Neil Henry said the doubt surrounding David Howell had led to Zillman’s naming at fullback, and said the young backline prospects form in the trials has warranted selection for round one.
"Around the fullback and centre spot with David Howell looking doubtful was the decision that had to be made," Henry said. "It gives us a chance to look at William at fullback as he has seemed very comfortable there, and Marshall Chalk has been very good in the centres for us."
Henry said the halves were also a tightly contested selection battle, but he was happy with the way things had panned out.
"Michael Dobson and Todd Carney trialed very well in the halves, and Andrew Dunemann adds some utility of the bench with his ability to play halfback and hooker," he said.
Raiders prop Michael Weyman was ruled out today after aggravating a quad injury at training yesterday, and will now look for a round three return.

CANBERRA RAIDERS V MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA-EAGLES
BROOKVALE OVAL, SATURDAY MARCH 17
KICKOFF 7.30pm
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. COLIN BEST
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MARSHALL CHALK
5. ADRIAN PURTELL
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. TROY THOMPSON
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. MATT BICKERSTAFF
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. ANDREW DUNEMANN
15. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
16. JOSH MILLER
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. BEN JONES

http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=77

Shame about weyman but hey i can't wait to cheer them on hurry up saturday

thickos

First Grade
Dobson makes his debut
dobson_426.jpg-1b89ab917ffccd3f9a461ac36384cba0.jpg
13 Mar,2007
spacer.gif
Canberra Raiders halfback Michael Dobson will make his NRL debut on Saturday night, after he was named in the number seven for the season opener against Manly at Brookvale Oval.
Dobson joins fellow young gun William Zillman in the Raiders starting line-up, after the quick footed Zillman was named at fullback for the opening match.
Zillman said he is looking forward to his return to first grade, and is keen to make an impact in his return to the senior side.
"I’m very happy to be in first grade after a long pre-season and we’re already excited about this weekend and can’t wait," Zillman said. "I just want to get out there and play my best game and at the moment I think that’s running the ball, and getting the ball in my hands."
Zillman said that feeling of being involved is something he is ready for, but also said he is just glad to be in the starting side regardless of his position.
"I want to be around the ball all night and push up in support, and that’s the best way to get my hands on the ball and some room to move," he said. "I like the free range you get at fullback but it’s also good in the centres running a bit wider, and even the halves have their positives."
Raiders Coach Neil Henry said the doubt surrounding David Howell had led to Zillman’s naming at fullback, and said the young backline prospects form in the trials has warranted selection for round one.
"Around the fullback and centre spot with David Howell looking doubtful was the decision that had to be made," Henry said. "It gives us a chance to look at William at fullback as he has seemed very comfortable there, and Marshall Chalk has been very good in the centres for us."
Henry said the halves were also a tightly contested selection battle, but he was happy with the way things had panned out.
"Michael Dobson and Todd Carney trialed very well in the halves, and Andrew Dunemann adds some utility of the bench with his ability to play halfback and hooker," he said.
Raiders prop Michael Weyman was ruled out today after aggravating a quad injury at training yesterday, and will now look for a round three return.
CANBERRA RAIDERS V MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA-EAGLES
BROOKVALE OVAL, SATURDAY MARCH 17
KICKOFF 7.30pm
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. COLIN BEST
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MARSHALL CHALK
5. ADRIAN PURTELL
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. TROY THOMPSON
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. MATT BICKERSTAFF
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. ANDREW DUNEMANN
15. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
16. JOSH MILLER
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. BEN JONES

aussies1st

Staff member
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. COLIN BEST
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MARSHALL CHALK
5. ADRIAN PURTELL
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. TROY THOMPSON
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. MATT BICKERSTAFF
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. ANDREW DUNEMANN
15. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
16. JOSH MILLER
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. BEN JONES

http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=77

Weyman injured again :(

thickos

First Grade
Merged the three simultaneous threads guys :lol:

Loving the team, besides the no Weyman. Poor guy can't take a trick.

Fluffy

Juniors
hey guys,

team looks allright im glad weyman is out

who will be kicking goals?

Cant wait until saturday, hopefully its the opposite result to last year but a good game of footy none the less.

Good luck

Fluffy

Juniors
cheers, i have to decide which one to have as my VRL half, and i need a kicker and you can only get 1 kicker.

Macko8

Juniors
interesting to see benny jones named in the number 18.
If scott logan was 100%, you'd think henry would of named him alongside thommo in the starting line-up.
If logan is still struggling with rib cartilage,than jonesy will get a chance to shine.

aussies1st

Staff member
raidersforme said:
The scary thing is when goodwin, lars and weyman are back in round 3-4 who do we drop

Good luck to Henry figuring that out. Obviously if Zillman goes well at fb then Goodwin only hope would be a wing spot.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
True that macko.

It also seems pretty clear that Henry is keen to bring back Howell. If his fitness holds up over the course of the week we may see him line up in the centres wearing #19.

Over all I reckon that team looks tops, Weyman is a loss but Costigan, Miller and Logan on the bench sounds pretty promising to me.

Chachi

Bench
Considering the injuries we have I think that's a well balanced team. I'm a little disappointed for Weyman, but I don't think Howell is good enough yet to step in with no trial time to his name.

The problem is, every time last year I thought Elliott named a good team we got hammered (which probably says more about me than Elliott). So, ummm, lets just say I think that team sucks and Dunemann and Miller should be starting with Withers and Tilse on the bench.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Purtell!!! Prepared to give him a chance, from memory both Purtell and Jones played very well against Manly in round one last year. Thinking Logan will drop off bench due to injury.

raidersforme

Juniors
ea Eagles vs Raiders - Team Line-up

13/03/2007
By Manly Sea Eagles

The Sea Eagles team for the first round match against the Raiders has been announced.
Coach Des Hasler has named marquee signing Jamie Lyon at 5/8 with Stephen Bell and Steve Matai in the centres. Travis Burns will play from the bench along with Anthony Watmough, George Rose, Mark Bryant and Glenn Hall (one to be omitted).
Luke Williamson will wear jumper number 13 and the two starting second rowers are Steve Menzies and Glenn Stewart.
All players are expected to be fit to play in club’s first hit out on Saturday night at Brookvale.
SEA EAGLES NRL TEAM: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steve Bell, Steve Matai, Chris Hicks, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford ©, Jason King, Michael Monaghan, Brent Kite, Steve Menzies, Glenn Stewart, Luke Williamson
Interchange: Travis Burns, Anthony Watmough, George Rose, Mark Bryant, Glenn Hall (1 player to be omitted)
Raiders NRL Team: William Zillman, Colin Best, Phil Graham, Marshall Chalk, Adrian Purtell, Todd Carney, Michael Dobson, Troy Thompson, Lincoln Withers, Dane Tilse, Glen Turner, Matt Bickerstaff, Alan Tongue
Interchange: Andrew Dunemann, Neville Costigan, Josh Miller, Scott Logan, Ben Jones (one to be omitted).

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=39&newsid=1469

dubby

Bench
Dane Tilse is very lucky to have been selected IMHO. I would have put Jones in before him, based on trial form. If Weyman and Logan were 100% I doubt Dane would have been selected.

Timbo

Staff member
Not a bad looking lineup. Weyman's injury is bad, but at least it isn't serious.

Two big question marks for me: Purtell being in the side, and Chalk in the centres.

Bay53

Juniors
Very happy with the forwards (and can only get better with Leahroyd-Lahrs and Weyman to come back), however, the concern as it is going to be all season is the outside backs.

Seven players to play their first NRL match in green

Best
Dobson
Turner
Bickerstaff
Dunneman
Logan
Costigan

The new era begins!!!!!!!