What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
JWH's 300th game for the Roosters. His heart well and truly with that club and Nick Politis very grateful for his services and went onto the ground to congratulate him and say a few things on Channel 9 about how proud he is of JWH and the team.

It's so bad that we don't have anyone of significance there for us. Bruce I don't think has ever been to a game. What a joke.

TheRev

First Grade
It's so hard because we should have went on and given it to the Cows last night, yes it would have masked some of the problems we obviously have.. but the morale would be completely different.. ahead of going into Manly and the Knights.

I do think Flanno will need to free up some spots during the year and get some contracts to some of the young backs, if we cant recruit externally I think we need to see if some of the younger ones can come thru faster than expected.. Williams the standout for me.. Buchanan is small but professional, possibly the go over MaxF, and Benny Rumble is probably physically suited to JF.. JF would be good for his development but he's very bluddy good...

Possibly even moving one of the halves up, maybe Ward the standout yesterday... and let Reed run JF.. especially if Marshke is going to be staying in 1st grade from now on...depends if they see any longterm benefit in Glover or Ralph.

And no one willing to come to replace the other 14. The NRL is so rigged ( another topic ) and the gap with the top teams and lower teams will just keep getting bigger.
Agreed.
If the NRL was fair dinkum about a level playing field and can even competition they would introduce a player draft. It seems to work in AFL. There are still strong (better managed) clubs but there doesn't appear to be a dynastic top tier and bottom tier like the NRL or the Premier League.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Any thoughts on Griffin Neame

I believe contracted till 2025?

Cowboys will still struggle to keep all their players in the forwards. I wonder if any wriggle room for him to move while contracted?

his stats yesterday were first class for a young 22yr old prop (oops he turned 23 two weeks ago)

he brought so much via his carries and metres and PCM and has that real Thomas Flegler intensity.

Neame lead his starting props and he played less minutes.

He might be an interesting one to follow. At 193cms and 106kg now and only just turned 23 he really looks on track to follow a Flegler in his development. Neame should be atleast 110kg by next season.

Neame is almost 2 years young than Flegler and 50 games behind him.

I think Neame is going to be a very good young prop or even better at lock given his athleticism.

Parko1310

Juniors
Any thoughts on Griffin Neame

I believe contracted till 2025?

Cowboys will still struggle to keep all their players in the forwards. I wonder if any wriggle room for him to move while contracted?

his stats yesterday were first class for a young 22yr old prop (oops he turned 23 two weeks ago)

he brought so much via his carries and metres and PCM and has that real Thomas Flegler intensity.

Neame lead his starting props and he played less minutes.

He might be an interesting one to follow. At 193cms and 106kg now and only just turned 23 he really looks on track to follow a Flegler in his development. Neame should be atleast 110kg by next season.

Neame is almost 2 years young than Flegler and 50 games behind him.

I think Neame is going to be a very good young prop or even better at lock given his athleticism.
Yeah I really like Neame as a player. Unsure how he'd go in a starting role, but he's not leaving the Cows unless he has one. Obviously we can throw a bit more money than the Cows can his way, definitely one to watch in my opinion.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I didn't want to open a new thread on this. But can someone explain this to me. I understand it's only $250 but the kids in his first game against a 'veteran of first grade who should know better. And bypass its because he" wearing the Red V.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_075924_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_075924_Chrome.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 63

Parko1310

Juniors
I didn't want to open a new thread on this. But can someone explain this to me. I understand it's only $250 but the kids in his first game against a 'veteran of first grade who should know better. And bypass its because he" wearing the Red V.
I read that and thought the exact same thing, but didn't want to appear to be whining about it. It makes no sense that Jesse gets a $1000 fine, whilst McInnes gets $750 for the exact same offence and grading. Especially considering the NRL reportedly take into account the amount a player is on when coming up with a fine. Jesse would be on a minimum deal, whilst McIness is on about $750,000-$800,000. Jesse is in his first game so has no priors. How does this make sense at all?

I read that and thought the exact same thing, but didn't want to appear to be whining about it. It makes no sense that Jesse gets a $1000 fine, whilst McInnes gets $750 for the exact same offence and grading. Especially considering the NRL reportedly take into account the amount a player is on when coming up with a fine. Jesse would be on a minimum deal, whilst McIness is on about $750,000-$800,000. Jesse is in his first game so has no priors. How does this make sense at all?
Perhaps he has priors in NSW Cup? Perhaps these count? Really don't know.

Parko1310

Juniors
Perhaps he has priors in NSW Cup? Perhaps these count? Really don't know.
Even still if this does count (which I'm not sure about either), this isn't that far off from 1% of Jesse's salary before tax. McInnes' fine is absolutely no where near 1% of his salary. I think it's incredibly harsh, $1000 is actually a hit for Jesse, $750 is pocket change for McInnes

Old Timer

Coach
The more times you do it the bigger the discount you get to the point you never get suspended for anything just ask big Nelson.

maestro1

Bench
Agreed.
If the NRL was fair dinkum about a level playing field and can even competition they would introduce a player draft. It seems to work in AFL. There are still strong (better managed) clubs but there doesn't appear to be a dynastic top tier and bottom tier like the NRL or the Premier League.
If they are fair dinkum about a level playing field, they would remove TPAs or only have them being paid via the NRL who then divvy it up to all clubs to use equally. If the entity paying the TPA stipulates that it must go to a certain club, then the NRL inform the entity and the club/player that it is now a sponsorship and counts on the salary cap

If they are fair dinkum about a level playing field, they would remove TPAs or only have them being paid via the NRL who then divvy it up to all clubs to use equally. If the entity paying the TPA stipulates that it must go to a certain club, then the NRL inform the entity and the club/player that it is now a sponsorship and counts on the salary cap
The only way to do it is to go to a points system, where it is irrelevant what you actually pay the player. So, for example, say the NRL has declared Wighton to be worth 1 million. Then he counts as. 1 million on Souths' cap. Of course, there would be a discount system so that players developed by a club would get a massive discount. So Wighton might have been only 100k on Canberra's cap if he had stayed, etc.

TheRev

First Grade
There are so many ways it could be done.. whatever peoples objections are there is a way a draft/points/whatever system can be setup... but unless there is a real appetite from the NRL to do it.. and there will be pushback from all the big rich players.. I dont see how.. and this isnt even factoring in the RLPA.

But if they are legit about going to 20 teams soon.. they have to get serious about stopping the hoarding of talent, the roosters cant have all these extra rep players.. they have their own thriving junior teams.. they should be using them instead like most teams are.

maestro1

Bench
The only way to do it is to go to a points system, where it is irrelevant what you actually pay the player. So, for example, say the NRL has declared Wighton to be worth 1 million. Then he counts as. 1 million on Souths' cap. Of course, there would be a discount system so that players developed by a club would get a massive discount. So Wighton might have been only 100k on Canberra's cap if he had stayed, etc.
This would be the best way, but the Politis' of the world will never allow it ( a points system). It would take away all their advantages

Dragon David

First Grade
This would be the best way, but the Politis' of the world will never allow it ( a points system). It would take away all their advantages
Why in hell would the NRL be worried about Uncle Nick and his bag of tricks? He should be the first to be targeted and not neglected. Why should the NRL bow down to him just because he has money? There should be a handicap on the likes of Politis. He just has too much say and he should shut the eff up. Same goes for the other clubs that has Murdoch's kids pulling their weight for them.

When you have guys like these, there is no possibility for any fairness in the game. It's we want this otherwise we don't provide this - bully tactics.

Sometimes I wonder why people follow the game when there is no fairness allowing for the lower clubs to get better players in say a points system and in our case nabbing our best juniors with juicy offers.

The salary cap isn't working like they wanted it to. All clubs get the same money allocated but somehow some clubs can get more than their share of the better players but still stay within the cap by paying their not so great players quite lower amounts and they are happy with the payment because they play for the likes of Uncle Nick - bullshit!

Latest posts