What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
Well, if Flanno signs RFM, Eisenhuth, Leilua (all unwanted by their clubs) and plays them over the Couchmans, they will have to go elsewhere to get their opportunity. This week we'll play against Garrick. Remember him?
The Couchmans are only 19 ,way too young and physically immature to handle the NRL grind. RFM, Eisenhuth are stop gaps until the kids mature. Bit different if they were outside backs, but they arnt.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
The Couchmans are only 19 ,way too young and physically immature to handle the NRL grind. RFM, Eisenhuth are stop gaps until the kids mature. Bit different if they were outside backs, but they arnt.
Totally agree Denis. Also last year they played a bit of first grade, which I'm sure they will see again this year, but that was in the team that came 2nd last.

Illusion

Bench
Why in hell would the NRL be worried about Uncle Nick and his bag of tricks? He should be the first to be targeted and not neglected. Why should the NRL bow down to him just because he has money? There should be a handicap on the likes of Politis. He just has too much say and he should shut the eff up. Same goes for the other clubs that has Murdoch's kids pulling their weight for them.

When you have guys like these, there is no possibility for any fairness in the game. It's we want this otherwise we don't provide this - bully tactics.

Sometimes I wonder why people follow the game when there is no fairness allowing for the lower clubs to get better players in say a points system and in our case nabbing our best juniors with juicy offers.

The salary cap isn't working like they wanted it to. All clubs get the same money allocated but somehow some clubs can get more than their share of the better players but still stay within the cap by paying their not so great players quite lower amounts and they are happy with the payment because they play for the likes of Uncle Nick - bullshit!
Old mate I'm sorry to say but whether we like it or not , whether it bending the rules they are smarter operators than our lot ...... So if we don't follow we will stay at the bottom of the heap ........

Dragon David

First Grade
Old mate I'm sorry to say but whether we like it or not , whether it bending the rules they are smarter operators than our lot ...... So if we don't follow we will stay at the bottom of the heap ........
Yes, I guess so. The thing is though Uncle Nick is sly and cunning and is a good salesman/businessman with years of experience selling cars and how his club can bend the rules to suit themselves keeps the smarties who work for him in their cushy jobs.

We on the other hand would plead guilty straight away if questioned on a slightly shonky deal and get fined and lose competition points.

maestro1

Bench
Have you noticed that you almost never see a Dragons player as a guest of NRL 360 for the "players perspective". Always seems to be players like Keary, Teddy, Radley, etc. I wonder what payment they received for these appearances. Help me out, when was the last Dragon on this show?

Where did they come from?

Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby, Creigh, Young, Morris, Nightingale were all developed by the club. They weren't big money signings from other clubs. This has to be our recipe. Develop internally. Be patient. Look at Penrith and Melbourne.
We didn't grow Boyd, Sowy, Fein, Weyman, Saffy, Costigan or Smith though, did we?
And would we have won without them? No.

Last edited:
We didn't grow Boyd, Sowy, Fein, Weyman, Saffy, Costigan or Smith though, did we?
And would we have won without them? No.
Yes, we made some good signings. But, especially in the salary cap era, you need to first develop a core of players and supplement this core with signings that are carefully targeted to address weaknesses. The 2010 premiership was buit on the back of patiently developing first graders form the products of a good late 90s and early 2000s junior rep program (other products that were not around in 2010 were Luke Patten, Luke Bailey, etc.). The point is: to win now you need to start working towards it 10 years ago! Trying to take short cuts only sets you back further.

Parko1310

Juniors
I’d take him.

Given we've just signed Luc I don't see this happening. Unless of course, we decide maybe Fifita is a better option than Su'a and we choose to walk away from those negotiations and go for Fifita. Reportedly, we are still in for Finefeuaki as well, so maybe Flano does want another second rower. But Luc, Fifita and Su'a are all proven good second rowers, so I'm not sure how they'd all fit into the one team. It would be awesome to be in a position where we could use Luc as bench impact though, but that's probably a pipe dream

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
It seems the days of good young juniors patiently waiting around in reserve grade for their opportunity in FG are just about over. Clubs like the Dragons are faced with the dilemma of promoting players that aren't quite ready or risk them wanting to go elsewhere. I'm not sure what the solution is.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints were rolling the ruck against the Cows and got to 18 pts nearly 24. Then it dies in the ar$e. They did show they are capable and have the attack to benefit from it but unfortunately they cannot maintain it for more than 20 mins.

We need more patience with this team as this year is about laying the platform and weeding out the deadwood. This Lomax issue cannot be good for the team. The fact Lomax is not coming out to shoot these down show he is looking to get out unfortunately. Flanno must have rubbed him the wrong way. Eels have this young kid Blaze who looked teh goods. I bet if Flanno does lose Lomax it will be to get him. Flanno is a shrewd operator and does not lose out on deals.

Parko1310

Juniors

'I'd love to stay a Dragon': Su'A denies Bennett links​

By Scott Bailey
Updated March 27 2024 - 1:05pm, first published 1:00pm
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail
Copy

Off-contract Jaydn Su'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)

Off-contract Jaydn Su'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)
Off-contract St George Illawarra second-rower Jaydn Su'A insists his main priority is to remain a Dragon, with the Queenslander not holding out to see where Wayne Bennett lands.
Su'A is one of a host of Dragons off contract at the end of this year, and able to be approached by rival clubs since the start of last November.
The former Queensland State of Origin forward has been linked to a move away from the Red V during his three-year deal, but insists he wants to stay under new coach Shane Flanagan.
Negotiations are ongoing between the player's management and the club.
"I'd love to stay because I love the club. It's been a pretty tough two-and-a-bit years and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel," Su'A told AAP.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"It's a week-by-week thing. I played s**t the other week (against the Dolphins), so it was bad timing.
"It's just important to be winning games and turning up.
"The club won't lose the player that they want to keep. If I'm that player, then I'm sure I'll be here."
Su'A is confident he will return from a quad strain in time to face Manly in Wollongong on Saturday.
But contract-wise, Bennett could potentially be the joker in the pack for Su'A.
The player had his debut at Brisbane under Bennett in 2016, and Su'A followed the coach to South Sydney midway through 2019.
An Origin debut followed under Bennett in 2020, and the back-rower left the Rabbitohs at the end of 2021 - once the coach was without a club.
The pair remain close, with the 26-year-old leaning on Bennett for advice and the veteran coach last year confirming his interest in linking back up with Su'A.
Bennett will leave the Dolphins after this year but remains hopeful of continuing to coach.
He is sure to be linked to a Rabbitohs return if Jason Demetriou can't turn around the last-placed Bunnies.
But while Su'A knows the lure of Bennett, the Samoa international said he was not holding out to see if his old coach would be in charge of another NRL club next year.

"I've got the ultimate respect for him. He gave me my club debut, my Origin debut," Su'A said.
"I was struggling in Brisbane when he left and he told me to come down and said he would turn me into the player he knew I could be.
"Two years later I was playing in a grand finals, I was playing in Origin. I have a lot of respect for him and I trust him.
"But no one knows what he's going to be doing and I'm definitely not holding my eggs in that basket."

Mojo

Bench
This can be a top club. We can develop and promote young players. We're a powerhouse! C'mon! We've only been in the doldrums for about 13 years. Things will pick-up soon. We know we can defend; we know we can attack. It will all come together, just like magic. We'll be incredible; a sight to behold, by mid '24. Write that down!

TheRev

First Grade
The problem with the "re-build" is we have such a low conversion rate.. that we cant just pick and choose when/where we get a player for a given position.. I think Flanno at this stage is just going for every decent player out there.. and figure it out later.. we have the cap space burning...

That said, I would love a fullback to challenge Sloan and a Hooker behind Liddle.. I mean lets see how Marschke goes as our 14.. he might well prove a real winner, but I think he might be better as our backup 6.. anyway we shall see.

SEAT 1A

Bench

'I'd love to stay a Dragon': Su'A denies Bennett links​

By Scott Bailey
Updated March 27 2024 - 1:05pm, first published 1:00pm
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail
Copy

Off-contract Jaydn Su'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)

Off-contract St George Illawarra second-rower Jaydn Su'A insists his main priority is to remain a Dragon, with the Queenslander not holding out to see where Wayne Bennett lands.
Su'A is one of a host of Dragons off contract at the end of this year, and able to be approached by rival clubs since the start of last November.
The former Queensland State of Origin forward has been linked to a move away from the Red V during his three-year deal, but insists he wants to stay under new coach Shane Flanagan.
Negotiations are ongoing between the player's management and the club.
"I'd love to stay because I love the club. It's been a pretty tough two-and-a-bit years and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel," Su'A told AAP.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"It's a week-by-week thing. I played s**t the other week (against the Dolphins), so it was bad timing.
"It's just important to be winning games and turning up.
"The club won't lose the player that they want to keep. If I'm that player, then I'm sure I'll be here."
Su'A is confident he will return from a quad strain in time to face Manly in Wollongong on Saturday.
But contract-wise, Bennett could potentially be the joker in the pack for Su'A.
The player had his debut at Brisbane under Bennett in 2016, and Su'A followed the coach to South Sydney midway through 2019.
An Origin debut followed under Bennett in 2020, and the back-rower left the Rabbitohs at the end of 2021 - once the coach was without a club.
The pair remain close, with the 26-year-old leaning on Bennett for advice and the veteran coach last year confirming his interest in linking back up with Su'A.
Bennett will leave the Dolphins after this year but remains hopeful of continuing to coach.
He is sure to be linked to a Rabbitohs return if Jason Demetriou can't turn around the last-placed Bunnies.
But while Su'A knows the lure of Bennett, the Samoa international said he was not holding out to see if his old coach would be in charge of another NRL club next year.

"I've got the ultimate respect for him. He gave me my club debut, my Origin debut," Su'A said.
"I was struggling in Brisbane when he left and he told me to come down and said he would turn me into the player he knew I could be.
"Two years later I was playing in a grand finals, I was playing in Origin. I have a lot of respect for him and I trust him.
"But no one knows what he's going to be doing and I'm definitely not holding my eggs in that basket."

I hope we are working the cap numbers and can finalise Su'A's signing quick smart. We missed him big time on Saturday.

"I'd love stay" can't do much more and I'd have him over Fifita.