What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

maestro1

Bench
You asked for the last Dragons players on 360.

They are them, they were on the show with dragons gear on. Aaron was only a year or two ago.
Yes, I should have been clearer.

So am I right in saying that the last current Dragon to appear on NRL 360 was Aaron Woods?

The problem with the "re-build" is we have such a low conversion rate.. that we cant just pick and choose when/where we get a player for a given position.. I think Flanno at this stage is just going for every decent player out there.. and figure it out later.. we have the cap space burning...

That said, I would love a fullback to challenge Sloan and a Hooker behind Liddle.. I mean lets see how Marschke goes as our 14.. he might well prove a real winner, but I think he might be better as our backup 6.. anyway we shall see.
It was a massive error to come into the season with one NRL hooker and two halves with NRL experience. Marschke was a good signing. But we should have a 2nd genuine hooker and another half with NRL experience. Corey Allen getting injured was unlucky. So I'll give Flanno a pass on lack of fullback depth. But having no halves or hooker depth is a massive unforced error.

It was a massive error to come into the season with one NRL hooker and two halves with NRL experience. Marschke was a good signing. But we should have a 2nd genuine hooker and another half with NRL experience. Corey Allen getting injured was unlucky. So I'll give Flanno a pass on lack of fullback depth. But having no halves or hooker depth is a massive unforced error.
Poor Bud Sullivan hasn’t performed at the Tigers, hence perhaps Flanno was right to let him go

TheRev

First Grade
It was definitately an error... though Flanno had a crack at a number of players and couldnt land them.. right up to Woolford just weeks before kick off... perhaps he could have went harder on a younger hooker without a Top30 spot.. promise them a Top30 and play them in nsw cup... but that is exactly what we have already with Mulheissen who really should be perfectly timed in development to play some 1st grade.. hes much better placed than a lot of our other cup players.. but .. I dont think he has the raw talent to go the next level..

HFinau I dont think is any better.. and its that lack of quality in NSW Cup on top of the challenges in recruiting externally.. which becomes a double-edged sword, with both edges completely blunt.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It was definitately an error... though Flanno had a crack at a number of players and couldnt land them.. right up to Woolford just weeks before kick off... perhaps he could have went harder on a younger hooker without a Top30 spot.. promise them a Top30 and play them in nsw cup... but that is exactly what we have already with Mulheissen who really should be perfectly timed in development to play some 1st grade.. hes much better placed than a lot of our other cup players.. but .. I dont think he has the raw talent to go the next level..

HFinau I dont think is any better.. and its that lack of quality in NSW Cup on top of the challenges in recruiting externally.. which becomes a double-edged sword, with both edges completely blunt.I
I'm always amused when club spin doctors throw in dubious accolades about little known players. when our KOE team had a big win at Mudgee, the match report had a reference to "Welsh international" Josh Ralph (our 5/8). Can I just do a quick poll of readers- am I the only one who's never heard of Josh Ralph before about 4 weeks ago ?-

redv13

Bench

'I'd love to stay a Dragon': Su'A denies Bennett links​

By Scott Bailey
Updated March 27 2024 - 1:05pm, first published 1:00pm
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail
Copy

Off-contract Jaydn Su'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)

Off-contract Jaydn Su'A (centre) insists he is not interested in an NRL tug of war for his services. (Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS)
Off-contract St George Illawarra second-rower Jaydn Su'A insists his main priority is to remain a Dragon, with the Queenslander not holding out to see where Wayne Bennett lands.
Su'A is one of a host of Dragons off contract at the end of this year, and able to be approached by rival clubs since the start of last November.
The former Queensland State of Origin forward has been linked to a move away from the Red V during his three-year deal, but insists he wants to stay under new coach Shane Flanagan.
Negotiations are ongoing between the player's management and the club.
"I'd love to stay because I love the club. It's been a pretty tough two-and-a-bit years and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel," Su'A told AAP.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"It's a week-by-week thing. I played s**t the other week (against the Dolphins), so it was bad timing.
"It's just important to be winning games and turning up.
"The club won't lose the player that they want to keep. If I'm that player, then I'm sure I'll be here."
Su'A is confident he will return from a quad strain in time to face Manly in Wollongong on Saturday.
But contract-wise, Bennett could potentially be the joker in the pack for Su'A.
The player had his debut at Brisbane under Bennett in 2016, and Su'A followed the coach to South Sydney midway through 2019.
An Origin debut followed under Bennett in 2020, and the back-rower left the Rabbitohs at the end of 2021 - once the coach was without a club.
The pair remain close, with the 26-year-old leaning on Bennett for advice and the veteran coach last year confirming his interest in linking back up with Su'A.
Bennett will leave the Dolphins after this year but remains hopeful of continuing to coach.
He is sure to be linked to a Rabbitohs return if Jason Demetriou can't turn around the last-placed Bunnies.
But while Su'A knows the lure of Bennett, the Samoa international said he was not holding out to see if his old coach would be in charge of another NRL club next year.

"I've got the ultimate respect for him. He gave me my club debut, my Origin debut," Su'A said.
"I was struggling in Brisbane when he left and he told me to come down and said he would turn me into the player he knew I could be.
"Two years later I was playing in a grand finals, I was playing in Origin. I have a lot of respect for him and I trust him.
"But no one knows what he's going to be doing and I'm definitely not holding my eggs in that basket."
Sort this shit out ASAP. I’ll be filthy if they cut Su’a loose. He wants to stay, says he loves the club unlike a few others recently. Get it done and let’s build this joint up under Flanno!! Give him his 4 years and stop f**king around before it turns to shit and bites us on the ass

Bin Chicken

Juniors
Sort this shit out ASAP. I’ll be filthy if they cut Su’a loose. He wants to stay, says he loves the club unlike a few others recently. Get it done and let’s build this joint up under Flanno!! Give him his 4 years and stop f**king around before it turns to shit and bites us on the ass
I’d let him go. He has done nothing since he has been with us but have a good game in a trial. Really nice bloke but we need a better player with more impact and presence for the money

denis preston

First Grade
Or gets his 4 years which doesn’t help his deteriorating body & consistency. Don’t get me wrong, resign him but 3 years max and mindful of the 4 or 5 backrowers coming through.

maestro1

Bench
Yes, I believe that is correct
Wow!!! Talk about low profile. I've been paying close attention to Fox NRL advertisements and their shows for a while now. Any NRL advertisement barely features any of us scoring a try. We usually get spotted when we are conceding a try. Our players are rarely on any of the shows Matty Johns, NRL 360, etc. The Face to Face show has heaps of players or club icons being interviewed from all other clubs but no Dragons. Our one and only representive is Tonegatti from the Women's team for this series of one on one interviews. Some clubs like the Broncs have had at least 5 of their club reps feature in the series that began in 2023 m and is continuing this year..
The only time we take up Fox time is when they are bashing a Lomax or Hunt type of story.

Illusion

Bench
Wow!!! Talk about low profile. I've been paying close attention to Fox NRL advertisements and their shows for a while now. Any NRL advertisement barely features any of us scoring a try. We usually get spotted when we are conceding a try. Our players are rarely on any of the shows Matty Johns, NRL 360, etc. The Face to Face show has heaps of players or club icons being interviewed from all other clubs but no Dragons. Our one and only representive is Tonegatti from the Women's team for this series of one on one interviews. Some clubs like the Broncs have had at least 5 of their club reps feature in the series that began in 2023 m and is continuing this year..
The only time we take up Fox time is when they are bashing a Lomax or Hunt type of story.
The only time you see the Dragons is when they are showing highlights of a team or a player coming back into form ........ Or a player scoring a hat trick , yep it's most of the time the Dragons in the background ....... So yea we do get on there regularly .........

maestro1

Bench
I’d let him go. He has done nothing since he has been with us but have a good game in a trial. Really nice bloke but we need a better player with more impact and presence for the money
The Hook style of footy wasn't conducive to anybody but Ben Hunt to shine. Sua will be everything we expect under good coaches like Flanno and Bennett. We really need to stop judging our players whilst Hook was coach. We cannot be letting players like Lomax and Sua go. We are supposed to be rebuilding and it is already hard to sign good 1st grade players. Why would you let them go.
I guarantee you if Sua was currently at Souths and became available, we would all be saying ....come in Flanno, get it down

Bin Chicken

Juniors
The Hook style of footy wasn't conducive to anybody but Ben Hunt to shine. Sua will be everything we expect under good coaches like Flanno and Bennett. We really need to stop judging our players whilst Hook was coach. We cannot be letting players like Lomax and Sua go. We are supposed to be rebuilding and it is already hard to sign good 1st grade players. Why would you let them go.
I guarantee you if Sua was currently at Souths and became available, we would all be saying ....come in Flanno, get it down
That’s a fair call . I’d love to be proven wrong

BLM01

First Grade
I'm always amused when club spin doctors throw in dubious accolades about little known players. when our KOE team had a big win at Mudgee, the match report had a reference to "Welsh international" Josh Ralph (our 5/8). Can I just do a quick poll of readers- am I the only one who's never heard of Josh Ralph before about 4 weeks ago ?-
Todays mad world of media and player managers. Everyone is either international, superstar, GOAT, massive, super happy and super proud. Its like social media to feel heard just in case, make sure of it by selling and promoting.

Parko1310

Juniors
3 years for Su'a for me, club/mutual option for a 4th. You can't just hand out a 4 year deal to someone who can't stay on the field. I do like him and hope we keep him for sure.. but we also have to be able to plan long term in terms of what the team will look like which is hard to do if you can't get one of your better players/bigger earners onto the park

justadragon

Bench
Heres the thing, Lomax is still under contract until the end of 2026, why are we talking about him being gone tomorrow. He is still on good coin, so why should the club be held to ransom here, the coach put you there , you are still getting paid the same and have had the best games of your career. We all know bird isnt going to last in the centres, lets not forget the club is in the position of power here, especially in Lomax's case. Deals are being negotiated with Su'a , lets just see what happens.