What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Would either Hasler or Ryles want to board a sinking ship?
Regardless of who the club might be looking at to take over from Hook, the Board members will have to be certain in their minds as to who they should target, bearing in mind that the next guy is a person who CAN deliver and not someone who is the best of a bad lot, like we sort of had in having Hook appointed.

That targeted "new" coach has to have runs on the board, be all of what we have lacked in the past 11 years and more. He cannot be a coach that cannot get all of the players to play for him and for the Red V jersey. He has to be a coach that knows 100% who he needs to have as his top 30 players and he has to be able to have the right assistants to help with the day to day exercises and fitness drills.

Would Hasler, Ryles or anyone else have it in themselves to have these credentials and abilities?

Once the Board has decided on who they think they need, their task will be to woo that guy somehow whether it be money or whatever, it will be a big job. Fitzgibbon was wanted but we couldn't get him so that shows how difficult the task will be.

denis preston

First Grade
At this point in time, there's absolutely nothing to suggest Hook is going to be replaced anytime soon. Don't believe too much in the media beat-up.
It does not mean something may happen as the season progresses, but right now it's just the media jumping on the 'incidents' nothing more.
they are in a bubble & all good mates. You don’t sack your mates! geez Haran must be the one with most mates !

possm

Coach
Regardless of who the club might be looking at to take over from Hook, the Board members will have to be certain in their minds as to who they should target, bearing in mind that the next guy is a person who CAN deliver and not someone who is the best of a bad lot, like we sort of had in having Hook appointed.

That targeted "new" coach has to have runs on the board, be all of what we have lacked in the past 11 years and more. He cannot be a coach that cannot get all of the players to play for him and for the Red V jersey. He has to be a coach that knows 100% who he needs to have as his top 30 players and he has to be able to have the right assistants to help with the day to day exercises and fitness drills.

Would Hasler, Ryles or anyone else have it in themselves to have these credentials and abilities?

Once the Board has decided on who they think they need, their task will be to woo that guy somehow whether it be money or whatever, it will be a big job. Fitzgibbon was wanted but we couldn't get him so that shows how difficult the task will be.
I'd say Hasler is the man to do the job but would be surprised if Dean Young did not get the job - deals have been done.

qld redvee

Juniors
you would think that with the results last year and then feedback from burgess and jetski, rumblings from bud and sloan , sacking assisstants the board must have realised that 2023 was griffins last hurrah AND started serious talks about where do we go from here ... All off season should have been knocking on preferred coaches managers doors enquiring what it would take to get their man .. BUT NO it seems like lets wait for a coach to ask is there a vacancy for 2024... we just continue sitting on our hands .. spencer leniu from penrith hit him with an offer we need a bit of proactivity . Christ flannos been gone since what November ( did nothing anyway ) but why arent we out there lookin for someone ( hello nathan come on back) we all know hook is dead man walking so find out if ryles has a clause in his contract and if so make an offer .. Lets get a coach for 2024 he can get a roster makeover and then players on notice so just may pull their fingers out .
Just lets do something and get this club going forward again

The Word

Juniors
Personally I'm not sure I understand the logic of a professional sports club being owned by a leagues club in this day and age. I understand the history and that they've contributed a lot through the years, but if you look at the top sports clubs around the world this type of thing is completely out of date.

The reality is that you need commercial acumen nowadays to succeed which a leagues club simply doesn't possess at the top level.

Not to mention sport is a huge money spinner now and the leagues club simply doesn't have the finances to contribute meaningfully anymore at this level.

I haven't seen anything from WIN to convince me they are keen to contribute much either, but where is the incentive to invest money in a business where you are only 50% owners, and the other half won't / can't match that investment. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Both parties should do the right thing and sell to a single owner who is capable and willing to do some early stage investment to ensure the coaching structure, pathways and training facilities are world class. I don't care whether that owner is from the St George area or the Illawarra, as long as they are ready and willing to have a red hot go.

We already have the CoE on the way, with the cash handed out by the NRL, and the TV rights, it wouldn't take a great deal of money to set things right.

Budpower

Juniors
the good news is we do have some utter GUNS coming through in the backs, Max Feagai! dont forget about him, in my view should be there instead of Lomax, Stewart! he carved in the trials a real standout, get him catching plenty of balls and his defence up and watch him go...Sloan! will find his spot either at the back or wing and destroy all opposition this season, TAMALE! This kid was a total cut above all the other rookies on level with Stewart in the trials, must be fast tracked to wing or centre, SO strong, so skilled, fast and with a step, with real old school mungrel and desire to win, reminds me of a better young Matt Utai

Dragon David

First Grade
Personally I'm not sure I understand the logic of a professional sports club being owned by a leagues club in this day and age. I understand the history and that they've contributed a lot through the years, but if you look at the top sports clubs around the world this type of thing is completely out of date.

The reality is that you need commercial acumen nowadays to succeed which a leagues club simply doesn't possess at the top level.

Not to mention sport is a huge money spinner now and the leagues club simply doesn't have the finances to contribute meaningfully anymore at this level.

I haven't seen anything from WIN to convince me they are keen to contribute much either, but where is the incentive to invest money in a business where you are only 50% owners, and the other half won't / can't match that investment. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Both parties should do the right thing and sell to a single owner who is capable and willing to do some early stage investment to ensure the coaching structure, pathways and training facilities are world class. I don't care whether that owner is from the St George area or the Illawarra, as long as they are ready and willing to have a red hot go.

We already have the CoE on the way, with the cash handed out by the NRL, and the TV rights, it wouldn't take a great deal of money to set things right.
You raise some very good points The Word. In my opinion, our failure has to do with the poor running of the club and the lack of "true" love of the Dragons by those sitting in the boardroom chairs.

The 50/50 ownership bullshit is useless. When you have half of the joint venture owned by the likes of Bruce Gordon, who couldn't give a rats about how we are faring in the NRL competition and happy to have paid out the $6m just so he has some interest - not the undying love of the Dragons - but maybe as a tax lurk or whatever, and possibly the lack of further injection of money to attract better people to help get us to the top every year, we are where we are at.

When you see the sponsors like Laundy Hotels helping out the Bulldogs, the guys involved being the father and his two sons who just love the Bulldogs, by dishing out stacks of money to pay for certain things as part of their sponsorship, you know how badly we lack this sort of love by our owners.

I don't know if I have spelled out what I really have in my head, but I hope you understand my drift.

There is a Podcast where Webster has advised that Lancaster is getting extremely frustrated at how the board on the St George side is performing with their lack of input and decision making. He is hoping to get more control to make some moves to fix Saints. Saints board is a shambles and are as per what we all assume just a job for the boys club.
He may wish to start with the WIN side of the board :)

It appears that the pot is calling the kettle black

Illusion

Bench
I'd say Hasler is the man to do the job but would be surprised if Dean Young did not get the job - deals have been done.
If I was a betting man I'd have my money on Young ...... This has been on the cards since his old man sent him away to learn a bit more elsewhere ......

Gareth67

First Grade
Unfortunately I believe that Captain Hook will see out the year regardless of of the results , as said by many the Joint Venture does not throw money away , let alone spend it where it is solely needed .

Mojo

Bench
He may wish to start with the WIN side of the board :)

It appears that the pot is calling the kettle black
The fundamental problem is that the Board accommodates pots and kettles. The should all be in the same pot, feeling the heat, one way or the other.

Attachments

• 1677275456105.jpeg
    1677275456105.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1