What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
From my perspective, the problem here is not assessing Luai’s worth, but whether he will Gel with HUNT.

Dragons sorely need a 7 & 8 both playing to maximum potential.

Hunt underperformed with Widdop as 5/8 – Hunt’s own game improved when Griffin made him captain, but to the detriment of every other playmaker; Norman, Clune, Mbye, Sullivan and now Amone. In fact, with our “marquee” Captain, not one player has flourished under his tutorship, let alone a halves partner.

The BOD bears much responsibility for recruitment, but I doubt there’s any decent players clamouring to play alongside (C) Hunt for any reason bar an over inflated paycheck.

I would have been much happier had they let the little piggy go when he was squealing. 😊
None of that rhymed ?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I do like both of them but feel that one of those spots needs someone with more pace. None of our four main outside backs seem like they have that burning pace. I remember a few year ago we had a weaker back line and the priority was to get some physical strength in there.

I just feel like maybe we've lost a lot of speed in the process.
Yes- our last premiership backline had two speedy centres (Gasnier and Cooper), a speedy, dynamic winger (Morris) complemented by a slow but safe, dependable and incredibly strong and acrobatic winger (Nightingale). Now we have the slow Suli, the slow Lomax, the slow, defensively unsafe Feagai with the dynamic- but relatively slow and defensively unsafe- Rava. And our wing back-up over the last couple of years-the arthritically slow Moga!! Time for major backline surgery folks.

Gippsy

Bench
Yes- our last premiership backline had two speedy centres (Gasnier and Cooper), a speedy, dynamic winger (Morris) complemented by a slow but safe, dependable and incredibly strong and acrobatic winger (Nightingale). Now we have the slow Suli, the slow Lomax, the slow, defensively unsafe Feagai with the dynamic- but relatively slow and defensively unsafe- Rava. And our wing back-up over the last couple of years-the arthritically slow Moga!! Time for major backline surgery folks.
Agree, but, worst of all. Our backs are still better than our forwards.

Lennyb

Juniors
That's cool, but what can you see? A saviour perhaps?

I'm aware of the situation and depth of the problem. With respect, it is way beyond 'basic economics'. Balancing the household budget is basic economics. Then there's contracts, small print etc. Then there's business tactics.... for example, running down a business in an effort to bring down it's value in order to swallow it up on the cheap. Actually, that's pretty basic too.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't... it's just one tactic.

Do you think WIN are there to benefit the team, the fans, the joint venture? Or themselves? Y'know, they will run their involvement like a business venture.

They could step in with some great third party divvies now. But that's not to their benefit. Interesting that St George Leagues Club were the match day sponsor last Saturday (if not a little weird).

It's Gordon btw.
Basic economics was tongue in cheek.

All im saying is until those outdated bafoons are out of the picture. We are in a holding pattern, as no big business are throwing money away to prop them up.

WIN are most likely white-anting the Stgeorge side of things. Craig being the first to be de throned and If they dont succeed, then they for sure will run the place into the ground.

Just my two bob, which means nothing.

Dragon David

First Grade
Just heard Gus Gould being interviewed by Michelle Bishop on Channel 7 about the dogs. Mentioned that there would be another 8 signings.

FMD, where in the hell is he going to get another 8 players, and, within the salary cap?
I wonder if those 8 include -

2024 GAINS
Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers, 2027), Jaeman Salmon (Penrith Panthers, 2025), Blake Taaffe (South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2025), Bronson Xerri (2025)
and maybe 4 from other clubs

Their 2024 Losses are-
Jake Averillo (The Dolphins), Fa'amanu Brown (released), Brandon Clarke (released), Andrew Davey (Parramatta Eels), Jayden Okunbor (Hull FC), Tevita Pangai Junior (retired), Josh Reynolds (retired) and maybe 8 more likely as the ones mentioned have been accounted for to pay for some of the new guys.

Really culling a lot I think and thats why they probably have the money to get more.

The Bulldogs don't muck around while we take forever and a day umming and ahhhing!!

thebigredv

First Grade
Say what you want about the Dogs and their failure at buying a premiership. If we were bringing in Crichton, Salmon, Taafe and Xerri plus a few more this place would be buzzing. So tired of playing the patient game which results in nothing. There's a lot of X factor and versatility about that. Averillo the only real loss.

I'd rather be a loser club having tried than losing through our own sluggishness in the marketplace.

Parko1310

Juniors
Say what you want about the Dogs and their failure at buying a premiership. If we were bringing in Crichton, Salmon, Taafe and Xerri plus a few more this place would be buzzing. So tired of playing the patient game which results in nothing. There's a lot of X factor and versatility about that. Averillo the only real loss.

I'd rather be a loser club having tried than losing through our own sluggishness in the marketplace.
Only Crichton out of those signings is worthwhile. The others are dirt water

steerlerbab

Juniors
Agree. But, this comparison is not fair. You are comparing 3 state of origin level player and one NZ international against three journeyman and one Fiji international (a second tier test nation).

However, this shows where the problem is. Those winners came through our lower grade ranks. These journeyman came through our lower grade ranks too (except Moga).

The problem is in our pathways. If we want to be winners again, we have to go back and start developing juniors (like Penrith are doing now and we used to do). We cant match it against the likes of Sydney Roosters. When it comes to buying. They will get the cream (Cronk, Tedesco, Suali to name a few) and we get the crumb (Norman, Mbye, Mcguire to name a few).

possm

Coach
Lorax is far better the Meaney just needs better players around him and a better coach so he can show us his best
Lomax is on fullback money and that is why I believe Flannagan will play him at fullback in 2024.

We have Sloan and a few young outside backs that may be given a run next season although, it would not surprise me if Flannagan does pick up a good center to partner Suli.

I think the halves partnership will be K Flannagan and Hunt in the early rounds next year with Amone playing 14, 13. or 4, depending on his performances during off-season training.

possm

Coach
They all trump Hame Sele.

I rate Salmon as a great utility and Taafe would have come at great value can slot in anywhere out the back. Xerri was going places before it all came crashing down.
I do believe Flanno will have a good center on his shopping list. But let's remember that it is our forward pack that should be top priority.

Latest posts