What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just when I thought we saw the last of Billy Burns in a red V. That guy is terrible and cannot tackle. Saints must really be struggling to sign someone if they decided to go back to him.

Hopefully Flanno can improve a lot of the the current players including this guy if they re-sign him.

Flanno mention that by Xmas he should have 2-3 coming in so maybe waiting for Nov 1 for some reason to finalise the 2 or 3. Maybe when the ESL season is over or International games.

Why bother for one year.
I think Flanagan would see Suaalii as a quick fix for fullback for 1 season while he works through the issues with Sloan's deficiencies that need to be addressed to get his game up to first grade standard.
Suaalii can also fill in at centre or wing.
Plus would help turn our losing culture into a winning culture, albeit he would only be with us for 2024.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
With Hunt's glowing references about the club, why would anyone join? With statements like "Not my first choice" and "Considering retiring early", you wonder why would someone come to this club where the captain of all players is the one saying these things publicly so the world can see.
I feel so sorry for Flanno- he's a seriously impressive guy- reminds me of the one man band- guitar, drums with his feet, mouth organ all going at once. He's trying so hard to turn this club around at so many levels. You can see a clear strategy emerging with his finger prints all over the various elements of that strategy. Firstly, gain the commitment and trust of your captain and best player to build the team around. Second, get the best off field coaching, strength and fitness staff so that the 2024 team will at least well be able to compete on the score of fitness and hardness- areas we lacked this year ( Flanno was working on changes to the Gong gym the other day) . Thirdly, build morale and create a link with the clubs past greats and high profile supporters like Mark Taylor, to remind players of what this club means to its passionate fans . Fourthly, getting rid of the joint venture mentality and rotating Chairperson position- this is one club. Appointing Lancaster as the Chair for at least the next couple of years is a step in the right direction. Fifth, keeping both Sydney and Illawarra fans in touch with their team and at the same time perhaps making the club more attractive to future recruits by switching a training night up Kogarah.

And then along came Hunt and said what he said and undid one and made 2, 3, 4 and 5 much more difficult for poor old Flanno. If he can keep this limited team motivated and performing better than 2023 with a diffident captain, he should be the next one to have a statue along the Dragons Walk.

possm

Coach
we need Ippape, hooker gun, all the really top teams whove won every GF for yonks has had world class hookers, we NEED Ippape simple as that he will change everything for us....
If we are going to be stuck with Hunt, he needs to be our hooker for 2024d. If he wants out it has to be without compensation and that being the case, I agree with you. A top-class hooker and two big first-grade props as a minimum.

If Bird retires medically unfit and if we let Burns go (I hope we let him go) then there should still be enough left in the cap for a good left-edge forward however, I believe Flanno is going to work with Sele in that position.

I'd like to see Suali recruited for 2024 as our fullback. By doing this we keep Lomax in the right-center and give Sloan a restart in first grade as a left-winger. Imagine a 17 as follows:
1. Suali
2. Sloan
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Flannagan
8. New prop
9. Hunt
10. New prop
11. Sele
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Liddle
15. F Molo
16. Lawrie
17. R Couchman

possm

Coach
I feel so sorry for Flanno- he's a seriously impressive guy- reminds me of the one man band- guitar, drums with his feet, mouth organ all going at once. He's trying so hard to turn this club around at so many levels. You can see a clear strategy emerging with his finger prints all over the various elements of that strategy. Firstly, gain the commitment and trust of your captain and best player to build the team around. Second, get the best off field coaching, strength and fitness staff so that the 2024 team will at least well be able to compete on the score of fitness and hardness- areas we lacked this year ( Flanno was working on changes to the Gong gym the other day) . Thirdly, build morale and create a link with the clubs past greats and high profile supporters like Mark Taylor, to remind players of what this club means to its passionate fans . Fourthly, getting rid of the joint venture mentality and rotating Chairperson position- this is one club. Appointing Lancaster as the Chair for at least the next couple of years is a step in the right direction. Fifth, keeping both Sydney and Illawarra fans in touch with their team and at the same time perhaps making the club more attractive to future recruits by switching a training night up Kogarah.

And then along came Hunt and said what he said and undid one and made 2, 3, 4 and 5 much more difficult for poor old Flanno. If he can keep this limited team motivated and performing better than 2023 with a diffident captain, he should be the next one to have a statue along the Dragons Walk.
Given that Flanno was employed as an assistant coach and then as a list consultant at the Dragons, one would wonder why our Board did not offer him the job as coach after May was sacked.