What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

First Grade
I don't think we would be evil enough to chase 1 player to get another.. but in our case we have the cap space to go after both legitimately.. and Dearden and any of those 2nd rowers would be a great result..

Note: I've set an alarm for 12.01am, so I can log on and see all of our big signings, will keep you guys posted.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
I don't think we would be evil enough to chase 1 player to get another.. but in our case we have the cap space to go after both legitimately.. and Dearden and any of those 2nd rowers would be a great result..

Note: I've set an alarm for 12.01am, so I can log on and see all of our big signings, will keep you guys posted.
Very keen to see what happens
A straight out swap Dearden/Hunt for 2024.
Connor Tracey 5/8 and Lomax FB.
2 big forwards and off we go.
Just imagine Manu, Hunt could head north whenever he likes✌️

Victoire

Juniors

I reckon you can sleep in... for a few months

Parko1310

Juniors
Very keen to see what happens
A straight out swap Dearden/Hunt for 2024.
Connor Tracey 5/8 and Lomax FB.
2 big forwards and off we go.
Just imagine Manu, Hunt could head north whenever he likes✌️
I think a Dearden/Hunt combination would actually go well. I know he's on the nose with a lot of people, but do we want to win more football games or push him out the door just because he's left a bad taste in our mouths? Good football will do something to repair the ties with the fans he's severed. I think we're looking really good cap wise given all the off contract guys we've got, plus all the young talent in our top 30 from 2025 who will be on a packet of chips. We don't need to get rid of Hunt from a cap perspective, and we are a better team for having him.

A good spine to aim towards in 2025 would be: 1. Tracey/Sloan 6. Dearden 7. Hunt 9. Brailey. We already pretty well know we're in for Tracey and Dearden. Plus there was that rumour about Brailey. Maybe we drive up the price of Jacob Saifiti and make the Knights pay more by expressing some form of interest at a ridiculous price, and hopefully force Brailey out that way. Play Liddle off the bench at 14 and Kyle Flanagan to play backup in reserves. Really hope Sloan comes on next year as his ceiling is definitely higher than Tracey's and at his best makes us a more dangerous side. This gives us the option to play Tracey in the centres, or play as a backup in reserves which would provide really good depth without breaking the bank. Worst scenario here though, we get a pretty good fullback in Tracey anyway.

Depending how Flanagan wants to play and get his sets started, go for one of Turuva/Junior Tupou/Khan-Pereira for the wing as they're all good at different things. Taylan May wanting to play in the centres makes me think we're a massive long shot at getting him over to play wing, so I've crossed him off my list, for the moment anyway. Unless we look for a centre rather than a winger.

I'd let go of Moses Suli, he's already overpaid and in my opinion, whilst barnstorming, doesn't do too much in terms of setting up the winger, or making the defence question what he's going to do. There's no variation in his play. If Mat Feagai redeems himself next year, I'd move him to left centre as it's his preferred position. If not, Savelio Tamale (if ready defensively by '25) or Connor Tracey will do well and cost much less than Suli.

In the forwards, honestly there's not many props off contract, although I know lots will happen before 2025. Theoretically, if there's no one worthwhile, we may have to bide our time for the likes of Loko Tonga and Finau Latu to come through. For second row, I'd ideally sign Heilum Luki. With Su'a likely leaving, Ryan Couchman/Dylan Egan for the other edge spot. Put Sele at lock, and either sign de Belin to a cheap 2025 contract to play prop or move him on and start Molo, promoting one of the younger forwards to the bench. The bench could look something like 15. F. Molo 16. T. Couchman 17. Bird (covers heaps of positions, but if no injuries mid-game put him on at lock as a Sele replacement exclusively, I think his best position is lock).

Honestly this is the sort of side I'd be aiming for in 2025. That's a finals team for mine. Not a grand final winning side, but we all have to be really patient. Realistically, we have so many plodders right now, and I think this side is a good mix between building us up instantly and promoting young juniors for the future, which means the cap doesn't get completely bent either. Plus, some of the recruits I've suggested are young and could be with us for years to come. Let's remember, a lot of our juniors might be good, but there's also players of the same age who are realistically better as well. For example, Luki, Turuva. If we do something similar to this, and then continue building in the few years following this I honestly believe in an ideal world we could be right up there with the best of the best by around 2026-28. I apologise for going off on a huge tangent, but in response to the initial message it's more beneficial we keep Hunt at least until the end of his contract until there is a suitable player to partner Dearden. We don't want to ship Hunt off and replace him with Dearden when we can afford to play them together. A Dearden/Flanagan partnership is not what anyone should want eventuating. Dearden/Hunt, that's a great combo.

blacksafake

First Grade
I think a Dearden/Hunt combination would actually go well. I know he's on the nose with a lot of people, but do we want to win more football games or push him out the door just because he's left a bad taste in our mouths? Good football will do something to repair the ties with the fans he's severed. I think we're looking really good cap wise given all the off contract guys we've got, plus all the young talent in our top 30 from 2025 who will be on a packet of chips. We don't need to get rid of Hunt from a cap perspective, and we are a better team for having him.

A good spine to aim towards in 2025 would be: 1. Tracey/Sloan 6. Dearden 7. Hunt 9. Brailey. We already pretty well know we're in for Tracey and Dearden. Plus there was that rumour about Brailey. Maybe we drive up the price of Jacob Saifiti and make the Knights pay more by expressing some form of interest at a ridiculous price, and hopefully force Brailey out that way. Play Liddle off the bench at 14 and Kyle Flanagan to play backup in reserves. Really hope Sloan comes on next year as his ceiling is definitely higher than Tracey's and at his best makes us a more dangerous side. This gives us the option to play Tracey in the centres, or play as a backup in reserves which would provide really good depth without breaking the bank. Worst scenario here though, we get a pretty good fullback in Tracey anyway.

Depending how Flanagan wants to play and get his sets started, go for one of Turuva/Junior Tupou/Khan-Pereira for the wing as they're all good at different things. Taylan May wanting to play in the centres makes me think we're a massive long shot at getting him over to play wing, so I've crossed him off my list, for the moment anyway. Unless we look for a centre rather than a winger.

I'd let go of Moses Suli, he's already overpaid and in my opinion, whilst barnstorming, doesn't do too much in terms of setting up the winger, or making the defence question what he's going to do. There's no variation in his play. If Mat Feagai redeems himself next year, I'd move him to left centre as it's his preferred position. If not, Savelio Tamale (if ready defensively by '25) or Connor Tracey will do well and cost much less than Suli.

In the forwards, honestly there's not many props off contract, although I know lots will happen before 2025. Theoretically, if there's no one worthwhile, we may have to bide our time for the likes of Loko Tonga and Finau Latu to come through. For second row, I'd ideally sign Heilum Luki. With Su'a likely leaving, Ryan Couchman/Dylan Egan for the other edge spot. Put Sele at lock, and either sign de Belin to a cheap 2025 contract to play prop or move him on and start Molo, promoting one of the younger forwards to the bench. The bench could look something like 15. F. Molo 16. T. Couchman 17. Bird (covers heaps of positions, but if no injuries mid-game put him on at lock as a Sele replacement exclusively, I think his best position is lock).

Honestly this is the sort of side I'd be aiming for in 2025. That's a finals team for mine. Not a grand final winning side, but we all have to be really patient. Realistically, we have so many plodders right now, and I think this side is a good mix between building us up instantly and promoting young juniors for the future, which means the cap doesn't get completely bent either. Plus, some of the recruits I've suggested are young and could be with us for years to come. Let's remember, a lot of our juniors might be good, but there's also players of the same age who are realistically better as well. For example, Luki, Turuva. If we do something similar to this, and then continue building in the few years following this I honestly believe in an ideal world we could be right up there with the best of the best by around 2026-28. I apologise for going off on a huge tangent, but in response to the initial message it's more beneficial we keep Hunt at least until the end of his contract until there is a suitable player to partner Dearden. We don't want to ship Hunt off and replace him with Dearden when we can afford to play them together. A Dearden/Flanagan partnership is not what anyone should want eventuating. Dearden/Hunt, that's a great combo.
Some good suggestions there.

redVinme

Bench

I agree with most points. Not on the hunt one though. 2025 Hunt will be 35. He's not on the same timeline as the rest of the team given we are rebuilding. A lot of money for someone who will drop off significantly by the time the young players are playing genuine quality NRL minutes.

There are a lot of good reasons for Hunt to want to leave but the way he's gone about it isn't what you want in your ranks.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Cowboys cap is cooked. All their players are going to have to sign for well under market value to stay. We have a great chance at louring Dearden plus 1 of luki or Finefuaki from them. Heard we are going to go at Piakura as well

I don't doubt that their salary cap is in trouble, I just don't see them getting rid of Dearden. Chad Townsend was very ordinary this year, his contract only has another year to go, they don't want to have to buy two new halves. They're stacked with good backrowers so I reckon they're more likely to shop Taumalolo if they can. Or Luc. Or even Nanai.

Parko1310

Juniors
I don't doubt that their salary cap is in trouble, I just don't see them getting rid of Dearden. Chad Townsend was very ordinary this year, his contract only has another year to go, they don't want to have to buy two new halves. They're stacked with good backrowers so I reckon they're more likely to shop Taumalolo if they can. Or Luc. Or even Nanai.
Shopping Taumalolo might help them cap wise, but it won't help them fit 4 second rowers into 2. They will definitely shed at least one of them, and realistically Leilua is the last one I, and I assume most clubs, would want. He's got a contract, so he's going to be harder to get rid of. Plus, how quickly could they get rid of Taumalolo even if they did shop him? It's going to take a while to negotiate how much they chip in for him over the next 4 years with another club. Plenty of time to talk to Dearden and secure his future.

Parko1310

Juniors
I agree with most points. Not on the hunt one though. 2025 Hunt will be 35. He's not on the same timeline as the rest of the team given we are rebuilding. A lot of money for someone who will drop off significantly by the time the young players are playing genuine quality NRL minutes.

There are a lot of good reasons for Hunt to want to leave but the way he's gone about it isn't what you want in your ranks.
Fair point, but who do you replace him with? K Flanagan? He's not the answer for mine, and we aren't going to go and buy two quality halves in one year. None of our younger halves are really close to ready, and by 2026 maybe they will be? And Dearden would be older, more experienced and is more of a controlling half that can help out a younger guy coming in anyway. If we don't go the youth route, we may have to wait until 2026 for another quality half to come across anyway to partner Dearden. Hunt's injury record is pretty good too and he hasn't slowed much, I don't think his performances will be all that bad in a year or two at all. Anyway, this is all in theory if we were to sign Dearden, so I guess it may turn out to be completely irrelevant. I do hope we can get him though.

BLM01

First Grade

I hope you dont wake up and find Waqa Blake is one of them ;)

Latest posts