What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
This has turned into the Feagais weren't so bad thread - fitting that it's actually the rumours thread then because talk of their "talent" falls firmly into the rumours realm.
The Feagais were terrible last year and not much better the year before. I honestly can't think of a worse pair of players in the entire NRL last year. Max is a total write off, even Hook knew that and Matt got a gig because we really had no-one else ready to step in (although we could have risked almost anyone for the same result or maybe better). Slow, stupid, totally lost in defence. Every week. There's some players you can argue performed only as well as they were coached like Lomax for example but the Feagais don't fit that category, no redemption for them I'm afraid. Cut them loose asap and go for speed and at least a little smarts. Please.
Speed and a little smarts? Ravalawa has those does he? Mat is quicker, and quite arguably, smarter. Some things are bias to fit the common Dragons fan narrative of "Feagai's shit".

TheRev

First Grade
Max Feagai is another story, I know they are twins but he seems slower and more nuggety and we just dont need a centre like that.. possibly not even in Cup.. depends if Tamale and Johnson have the gigs.

Mat Feagai I think is still next in line for the 1st grade jersey.. could be wrong but he wont be far off it.. its just a question of whether Flanno feels like SFinau or Tui are rdy.. I suggest they arent but maybe they get a start.. might depend how the season goes.. if he just wants a bloke to run hard tackle hard, Mat Feagai can do that.. perhaps hes taking the Lomax approach i.e. play Matt at fullback and see if he can expand his game some.. granted there seems noone better for that fullback jersey anyway.

That was a long ramble.. but yes Feagais gone 2025, but 2024 I reckon Matt might still have a role, Max could go now, but probably Turner and Russell r the next 2 out the door if we have any new recruits incoming.

Edit: I cant even read my own post.. thats how messy it is managing this part of the roster..

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors

Slater thinks dragons can push for the 8 and believes we’re a tough side to play against.
I went and listened to this podcast on the way home this arvo (and had to put up with the excruciating Mark Levy as co host) and at the end Billy was asked to make some predictions for the season, including who would be the big improvers for 2024. He picked the Dragons.

kit66

Bench
Speed and a little smarts? Ravalawa has those does he? Mat is quicker, and quite arguably, smarter. Some things are bias to fit the common Dragons fan narrative of "Feagai's shit".

Ravalawa - 21 tries, 24 line breaks, 148mpg and he gets in and takes hit ups early in the count a lot more often than Feagai did.
Matt Feagai - 4 tries, 8 line breaks, 117mpg. A slightly better defender at 78%, but that's nothing to brag about.
And before you blame Suli - when Moga played outside Suli he scored about 5 tries in just 3 or 4 matches.

Simple maths mate. It's not bias, it's recognition, the guy conceded soft tries nearly every week last year, he was terrible, just terrible and it's the first thing Flanno fixed by not even putting him or his bro in the top 20 for the trials.
How people are now defending him is beyond me, I've heard of short memories but that's ridiculous.
Smarter my arse.

Parko1310

Juniors
Ravalawa - 21 tries, 24 line breaks, 148mpg and he gets in and takes hit ups early in the count a lot more often than Feagai did.
Matt Feagai - 4 tries, 8 line breaks, 117mpg. A slightly better defender at 78%, but that's nothing to brag about.
And before you blame Suli - when Moga played outside Suli he scored about 5 tries in just 3 or 4 matches.

Simple maths mate. It's not bias, it's recognition, the guy conceded soft tries nearly every week last year, he was terrible, just terrible and it's the first thing Flanno fixed by not even putting him or his bro in the top 20 for the trials.
How people are now defending him is beyond me, I've heard of short memories but that's ridiculous.
Smarter my arse.
You're failing to realise/you're outright ignoring we went almost exclusively to our right side to attack. Those tries Moga scored were on the right, when Suli had moved back to the right side. He also had 6 try assists all year to Ravalawa's 21 tries. That tells you they're cutting Suli out in these situations, so Moga's tries might have had 1 or 2 assisted by Suli, but they were not all.

Your stats are also from last season alone, whereas my whole point is about Mat having had a good year in 2022. Considering you've pointed out Mat having 8 line breaks last year as a seemingly poor stat, Ravalawa had the exact same amount of line breaks in 2022, the year I'm talking about. Mat was top 5 in the NRL that year for line breaks by the way.

Anyway, I'm not trying to claim that Mat is a better player than Rav, I don't think he is, but in the two criteria you chose to point out (being speed and smarts) as being the most crucial thing our team needs out of a winger, Feagai has him covered. What our team needs is the big, metre eating type, which Ravalawa is, and Mat is not. It doesn't make Mat a bad player, he just doesn't fit the system as a winger. I'm also not shying away from the fact he didn't have a good year last year. But to say he wasn't good in 2022 is plain wrong and short sighted. He's got plenty of talent and I hope he realises his potential, if not with us, then elsewhere.

kit66

Bench
You're failing to realise/you're outright ignoring we went almost exclusively to our right side to attack. Those tries Moga scored were on the right, when Suli had moved back to the right side. He also had 6 try assists all year to Ravalawa's 21 tries. That tells you they're cutting Suli out in these situations, so Moga's tries might have had 1 or 2 assisted by Suli, but they were not all.

Your stats are also from last season alone, whereas my whole point is about Mat having had a good year in 2022. Considering you've pointed out Mat having 8 line breaks last year as a seemingly poor stat, Ravalawa had the exact same amount of line breaks in 2022, the year I'm talking about. Mat was top 5 in the NRL that year for line breaks by the way.

Anyway, I'm not trying to claim that Mat is a better player than Rav, I don't think he is, but in the two criteria you chose to point out (being speed and smarts) as being the most crucial thing our team needs out of a winger, Feagai has him covered. What our team needs is the big, metre eating type, which Ravalawa is, and Mat is not. It doesn't make Mat a bad player, he just doesn't fit the system as a winger. I'm also not shying away from the fact he didn't have a good year last year. But to say he wasn't good in 2022 is plain wrong and short sighted. He's got plenty of talent and I hope he realises his potential, if not with us, then elsewhere.

I disagree wholeheartedly and all the proof I need is replays of almost any game last year. I went through this argument already a couple of weeks back and gave plenty of examples of games to watch to see just how bad the Feagais are and quite frankly it's not worth the effort to argue the point again. No disrespect to you but I'd rather discuss other more important team issues. If Flanno thinks Feagai can be used somehow he'll use him. I'm betting he won't unless we have an injury crisis. I also bet they'll be gone this year, probably to ESL or oblivion.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Roosters didn't select Angus Crichton nor Connor Watson for round 1. I would keep an eye on both those players, more so Watson as a utility off the bench who can also play a roaming lock role.
Not interested in crighton. After his “activities” that led to his mental health issues, and the price he demands, I see much better value elsewhere, especially when we have Su’a and Luc.

conner Watson is another thing, energetic #14

Rod Coil

Juniors
I disagree wholeheartedly and all the proof I need is replays of almost any game last year. I went through this argument already a couple of weeks back and gave plenty of examples of games to watch to see just how bad the Feagais are and quite frankly it's not worth the effort to argue the point again. No disrespect to you but I'd rather discuss other more important team issues. If Flanno thinks Feagai can be used somehow he'll use him. I'm betting he won't unless we have an injury crisis. I also bet they'll be gone this year, probably to ESL or oblivion.
Agree. Both Feagais missed simple man on man tackles way too often last season. It got embarrassing towards the end as their shoulders were simple hinges swivelling their turnstile arms.

Sage63

Juniors

"Your stats are also from last season alone, whereas my whole point is about Mat having had a good year in 2022."
Good point!

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
At times on this Forum, the negative perceptions of some players can almost get personal. Sometimes I think it's forgotten that we are talking about real people. At least in relation to comments on Matt Feagai some have recognised that 2022 was a good season for him. I just wanted to add that I met him, his partner and young baby in the Aldi carpark in Wollongong about mid season and were happy to chat to me. A lovely young couple with a dear little baby.

I for one will be interested to see how he performs at full back. I wish him well.

SnowDragon

Juniors
At times on this Forum, the negative perceptions of some players can almost get personal. Sometimes I think it's forgotten that we are talking about real people. At least in relation to comments on Matt Feagai some have recognised that 2022 was a good season for him. I just wanted to add that I met him, his partner and young baby in the Aldi carpark in Wollongong about mid season and were happy to chat to me. A lovely young couple with a dear little baby.

I for one will be interested to see how he performs at full back. I wish him well.

and even more, there’s a feeling that the more you pile crap on them and bad mouth them the more your correct!
if somebody disagrees, you just shout louder ;)

why isn’t it enough to say what you think? And let others have their own opinion.

have a great night guys :)

thebigredv

First Grade
There's no debate.

You pull our jersey on you need to have something to offer other than a good reputation from your junior years. Matt in particular has had numerous opportunities and it's clear he is solid at best and an absolute liability at his worst. Physical maybe but not fast and just sub par what is needed from a winger/centre these days.

rasaint

Juniors
Matt returns strongly and has scored try’s in traffic and carrying defenders from 10 metres out over the tryline. Slow for a winger but moves well. Great pick up under pressure for the last play win against roosters.
Rava is a powerhouse and scores in almost impossible traffic. Rava lacks genuine speed but ran 80 metres to score against Cowboys from memory ; had Drinkwater on his hammer most of the trip down sideline.

I suggested Matt with 5 kg extra might be a good backrower, but I got whacked by some of the forum and got back in my box! Matt goes OK and has some ability.

cussy

Juniors

Not to mention half the nuffies critiquing are hard up breathing and getting up to get another packet of chips….