What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
I must be the only one who was entirely lukewarm about the Turuva rumours. I want a big aggressive front rower.
Yes a big aggressive front rower 100% but now we need to also find a like for like replacement for Lomax. Turuva would have been great on the wing but maybe not account for what we are losing. Bit worried, lots of movement of great player but none of their roads are leading to us.

Now we will have the Canterbury Bulldogs-Panthers and the Wests Tigers-Panthers LOL. I think that Turuva will be replacing Junior Tupou who will be playing for the Dolphins next year.

And yes, just another one of our rumours not coming to fruition but maybe wasn't that strong a pursuit to sign Turuva and as since77 said above, we do need an aggressive front rower. How many times have we said this but we don't get one. We have Sele signed but he isn't the really big aggressive guy that we need as an enforcer and someone that would be feared for bloody once.
Frank Molo is very much feared!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not disappointed at Turuva, I feel he's over-inflated in both ability and price, plus would add a block to a few impressive juniors coming through.

Luke has apparently re-signed with the Cowboys for 5yrs. That's a deal we couldn't and shouldn't have entertained, hence again I'm not disappointed at missing him.

Finefuaki has signed with the Phins, but he's one I am disappointed we missed out on.

I don't think we need to land a big fish, (although it would send a statement), to be attractive or competitive. Our talent pool is deepening with our juniors coming through. Not all will make it Not all will have the desire to train professionally. But, those that do will make it, because of the pool of players. In other words, we don't have to nurture a maybe, we can focus on being selective.

And yes, we are looking outside, but again very selective on our choices.

TheRev

First Grade
Where exactly are we going to find quality 1st graders from for the 2025 backline? Now we are starting to think about 2026 recruits instead.. yikes.

Tamale seems to be regressing lately, the Feagais will be shipped off.. BRumble has been on the field for 2-3 flegg games all year.. he needs some time.. We essentially have about 1.7million cleared out of our back 5 between Lomax and the Feagais and how we going to use any of it?

I'm all for fast-tracking Williams into a 2025 nrl contract (atleast a dev position), if anything this is more crucial now.... and yes Allan is back in the squad.. but we are at a net loss losing our best back in Lomax and definitely not improving the squad.

We shouldnt have led with the silly Turuva contract dependant on the position he played... and just gave him a flat 550k or some such... I just wish we would stop being tightarses.. I get why Flanno does it, he has a winners mentalility, and it would work at almost any other club... but we are still in the toilet so what would normally get players over the line isnt working.

We can afford to properly over pay for the first 2-3 players to get the ball rolling..

Dragon David

First Grade
Our recruitment success hasn't been the best I know, but in time we will have a much better squad from which Flanno will be able to select the best 17 to take the field. How long that will take is anyones guess and the longer it takes the more impatient we again become. Years of being patient. What else can we do?

Yes a big aggressive front rower 100% but now we need to also find a like for like replacement for Lomax. Turuva would have been great on the wing but maybe not account for what we are losing. Bit worried, lots of movement of great player but none of their roads are leading to us.
On the money with this thebigredV.
We very much need an outside utility back to replace what Lomax currently brings to our attack.
Whilst a big aggressive front row forward is a must, we are very thin on depth for a few positions away from the forwards.
The big invisible as always is who Flanagan is actually targetting.
I do not believe a lot of what is in the media, and the real big one is the players who will all of a sudden appear on the open market wanting to move to a new club.
There are always some high quality players in this group.

True_Believer

Juniors
Our recruitment success hasn't been the best I know, but in time we will have a much better squad from which Flanno will be able to select the best 17 to take the field. How long that will take is anyones guess and the longer it takes the more impatient we again become. Years of being patient. What else can we do?
Assuming our pathways continues to improve, we won't have this issue going forward. Penrith haven't really bought in for a couple of years now because their junior pool is so good. I think that is what we need to aim to do. Don't rely on the mercenaries from outside, promote and develop from within. It's just that at the moment, we don't have that luxury.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Allan to cover FB if injury strikes for Sloan in 2025. Looks like Matt Fegai may stay on and is surprisingly doing a tidy job at FB in ressies but can play 3 positions in the backline and on peanuts as depth only. Matt was given the Captaincy so it would make sense the Coaches have an interest in him staying at a value price contract $.

Tui we will find out next few weeks where he measures up........ and if good......he can stay left and Rava right in 2025 and maybe even 2024 so Lomax can do his thing at right centre this season.

Tui has a massive challenge this week. Roosters backline is first class and the quickest of the quick will be coming at him today.

I think we are at least 3 weeks away minimum to have the minimum data re Tui and Rava being wingers or not in 2025.

Sione is with us also for 2025 and after this year in ressies and more games vs his injury last year I suspect he is great value also.

For me it is our right centre I am not sold on at all as yet.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench

Dragon David

First Grade
Look, the chances of us signing anyone like Turuva or anyone else so close to all the dramas we have had with Lomax wanting out of the club would be a deadset set back for us. "Why is Lomax wanting out of the Dragons?" "What did they do to him to want to go?" "He is their best player at the moment and they could not convince him to stay". "Why would I want to go to that club if Lomax doesn't want to be there?".

Someone needs to bring it out into the open because it is not a case of Lomax wanting out for family reasons etc like many of the current players changing clubs are saying (recently James Fisher- Harris), Lomax doesn't want to be at the club - so why? It doesn't help us getting other players to come to the club.

Mojo

Bench
Look, the chances of us signing anyone like Turuva or anyone else so close to all the dramas we have had with Lomax wanting out of the club would be a deadset set back for us. "Why is Lomax wanting out of the Dragons?" "What did they do to him to want to go?" "He is their best player at the moment and they could not convince him to stay". "Why would I want to go to that club if Lomax doesn't want to be there?".

Someone needs to bring it out into the open because it is not a case of Lomax wanting out for family reasons etc like many of the current players changing clubs are saying (recently James Fisher- Harris), Lomax doesn't want to be at the club - so why? It doesn't help us getting other players to come to the club.
He loved Hook and he’s heartbroken.

Dragons4me

Juniors
He wants to stay, club wants to keep him. We will be fine. He's obviously wanting a little bit more money than we're offering, but he hasn't got a better offer anywhere else by all reports. He will probably wait until origin comes around. If he is selected he can demand more money, which is fine. He has every right to hold off to get the best deal possible for him and his family and not be called a mercenary.
I hope you're right, but I don't have much confidence from recent history of targeted players we want who end up signing elsewhere.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Where exactly are we going to find quality 1st graders from for the 2025 backline? Now we are starting to think about 2026 recruits instead.. yikes.

Tamale seems to be regressing lately, the Feagais will be shipped off.. BRumble has been on the field for 2-3 flegg games all year.. he needs some time.. We essentially have about 1.7million cleared out of our back 5 between Lomax and the Feagais and how we going to use any of it?

I'm all for fast-tracking Williams into a 2025 nrl contract (atleast a dev position), if anything this is more crucial now.... and yes Allan is back in the squad.. but we are at a net loss losing our best back in Lomax and definitely not improving the squad.

We shouldnt have led with the silly Turuva contract dependant on the position he played... and just gave him a flat 550k or some such... I just wish we would stop being tightarses.. I get why Flanno does it, he has a winners mentalility, and it would work at almost any other club... but we are still in the toilet so what would normally get players over the line isnt working.

We can afford to properly over pay for the first 2-3 players to get the ball rolling..
The fact that Tamale (and imo Finau) are regressing shows we have a big f**king problem with our coaching in reserves. Hell, max Feagais not that good and he's regressing too.

TheRev

First Grade
The fact that Tamale (and imo Finau) are regressing shows we have a big f**king problem with our coaching in reserves. Hell, max Feagais not that good and he's regressing too.
I mean I dont think Finau or Matt Feagai are regressing.. just Tamale, his footwork isnt creating anything, hes not breaking the line.. and he has errors.. but next week, there is a chance he plays, unless Bird can play left ctr.

Its just that a lot of fans here think Finau or CTui etc will someone revitalise the 1st grade backline.. but they wont do that.. they are just cogs in the gearbox type players that best case do the minimum, maybe they score a cool try.... but they arent going to explode and win us games or something.. but its marginal stuff.. Ravalawa is probably more useful.

Matt Feagai is going ok at fullback, but hes still Matt Feagai, still sluggish.. could prob do a job on the wing in 1sts, but I wouldnt be picking him unless we r retaining him.. Finau is old enough he may aswell get the next shot.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I mean I dont think Finau or Matt Feagai are regressing.. just Tamale, his footwork isnt creating anything, hes not breaking the line.. and he has errors.. but next week, there is a chance he plays, unless Bird can play left ctr.

Its just that a lot of fans here think Finau or CTui etc will someone revitalise the 1st grade backline.. but they wont do that.. they are just cogs in the gearbox type players that best case do the minimum, maybe they score a cool try.... but they arent going to explode and win us games or something.. but its marginal stuff.. Ravalawa is probably more useful.

Matt Feagai is going ok at fullback, but hes still Matt Feagai, still sluggish.. could prob do a job on the wing in 1sts, but I wouldnt be picking him unless we r retaining him.. Finau is old enough he may aswell get the next shot.
I am a big Sione Finau fan if i haven't made that clear. We keep trying to sign big name talented athletes when we have one in our own backyard who just needs to be coached right. Thanks for the update re Tamales regression too Rev with his footwork. Someone needs to tell him to stop that then, maybe it's an old habit he's having trouble breaking. I'd rather Bird just not play at all to be honest with you but we all know that isn't happening. I agree re Matt F. Going ok at fullback, but I didn't know about Max going ok because the stats show a diff story (I don't watch the ressies games) but if you say he can do a decent job in firsts on the wing, I believe you. Thanks for your updates Rev

Latest posts