What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sign William Hopoate Thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No way would a player that young and with that much talent sign a 5 year deal.

If he signed for $350k he could be worth over half a million in 2 or 3 years. No manager worth his salt would let an 18 year old sign for longer than that.

Ratchy

Juniors
No way would a player that young and with that much talent sign a 5 year deal.

If he signed for $350k he could be worth over half a million in 2 or 3 years. No manager worth his salt would let an 18 year old sign for longer than that.

If his manager is the Tyran Smith from Souths etc he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If his manager is the Tyran Smith from Souths etc he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed on the field.

Ok but he's a professional player manager. He doesn't need to have thought of it all himself to implement the rules for successfully managing footy players - anyone that follows professional sport knows a highly valued 18 year old shouldn't sign a long contract. Tyran Smith will have learnt all of this stuff during his accreditation process.

If a player's next contract will be bigger than his curent one then it makes sense to limit the length of his current contract. It's simple economics. If Tyran Smith has achieved accreditation and managed to get himself a few clients he'll surely know those kinds of basics.

MrT

Juniors
Hoppa won't play FB if he stays at Manly, goes to Parra or Bulldogs. So the Dragons would be his best bet, but they that the team less likely to afford him based on their roster.

I was impressed with Sutton running to the line last night and popping money balls, or just taking the line on. Hayne would be awsome if he took 6 serioulsy IMO.

bahahahahah Hayne at 6. Quick hide in a bunker.
I agree and here's why

1. best passing gaame at the club
2. best running game of all halves
3. has the biggest boot on him and can kick 40/20's

MrT

Juniors
Yeah it's a shame he can't use any of those skills from fullback.

Yes he does it well from fullback but he would be even more involved at 6.
His kick returns aren't that great. he barely jogs towards the defensive line and then comes up with the slowest play the ball in the world

So why was Darren Lockyer moved from 1 to 6, Hayne has similar skills, he can read the game better than any of our current halves and having Hayne at 6 means you have a champion player in the halves and one less of Morts/Robson

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So why was Darren Lockyer moved from 1 to 6, Hayne has similar skills, he can read the game better than any of our current halves and having Hayne at 6 means you have a champion player in the halves and one less of Morts/Robson

Lockyer was a five eight in the lower grades. Bennett played him at fullback because he couldn't oust Walters (?) from the 6 at Brisbane.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Motu Tony played fullback in round 1 that year and was awful, we then saw Hunt the week after.

Lockyer played 6.

He was named on the interchange bench but replaced Tony at fullback prior to kickoff. For round 1.

Bennett = genius deceiver

Last edited:

Parraren

Bench
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/young-hopoate-on-a-wing-and-a-prayer-1/

Young Hopoate on a wing and a prayer
6 May 11 @ 04:13pm by Peter Peters

4f2db6bd64ab7ef92cfae9c4f084a3da_resized.jpg

Will Hopoate has some big decisions to make in the coming weeks. Photo - Mark Evans.

NOT since a painted sign on a toilet wall on The Corso way back in 1966 has God played such a mighty role in where the Sea Eagles are headed.

Back then a deep-thinking surfie asked the question: “What would you do if God came to Manly?”

One day later there was a reply: “Move Bob Fulton to the centres and play God at five-eighth!”

Sometime soon 18-year-old Will Hopoate (the same age as Fulton was back in 1966) will decide between his deep religious belief and an exciting and lucrative career in rugby league.

William is a devout believer in his Mormon faith and may leave the glamour of being a young star in the National Rugby League for a two-year period in the United States doing missionary work.

Right now, Will is the hottest young property on the league market with a multitude of clubs vying for his services.

After spending time with his father on Thursday, I believe the choice will come down to his church or the Sea Eagles. The kid loves living at home with his father John, mum Brenda and his eight siblings. He is amazingly close to his coach Des Hasler and to his teammates.

I have watched him grow up, following his father into the dressing room, and in the thick of the close-knit inner sanctum at the club. Here is a kid born to be a real Sea Eagle.

Last year in Auckland, I watched Will Hopoate soar into the air to take an amazing catch, level with the black, marked area on the crossbar. He took the ball with ease and gracefully plonked it on the ground for a stunning try.
His teammates in the under-20s clapped and Will smiled and went back to his position with no fuss, fanfare or disrespect to the opposition.

It was simply freakish.

At Cromer High School, the kids can’t wait for home matches at Brookvale Oval, to go and watch their old boy weave his magic.

Hopoate has been in Albury all week, rooming with his idol Jarryd Hayne in preparation for his senior representative debut for City last night against Country.

The fact that Will was spending a week with Hayne impressed his younger brothers more than the fact that Will was now playing with the big boys.
Five-year-old Lehi has been doing Hayne impersonations in the backyard of the family home in Narraweena while nine-year-old Albert already has a Hayne photo up on his bedroom wall.

John Hopoate packed up his people mover on Thursday with his wife Brenda and collected his mum Mele and father William at Campbelltown for the seven-hour drive to Albury. Brenda refuses to fly in small planes so the road trip was the only alternative.

By the time most Manly Daily readers are rise on Saturday, the Hopoates will be back from Albury in time to get four of their youngest boys Lehi, Albert, John Junior (13) and Jamaryl (16) to junior matches. The latter is already a Sea Eagle and a prospect.

The family is close-knit and supportive but William is very much his own man despite his youth. He is well mannered, intelligent, quietly spoken and respectful.

Last Sunday afternoon he asked his father for a lift to the city. After asking several questions as to why, John Hopoate found out the reason - he had to attend a medical for the City side and would be leaving the next day for team camp in Albury.

“That’s his way - nothing is over the top,” Hoppa Snr said.

“I read in the papers more than Will tells me about his football. He is his own person and he is 18 now and already a much better person than I could imagine.

“People say to me that he isn’t serious about giving up football to spend two years with the church. He is very serious and I wouldn’t be surprised if he went down that path. The decision will be his alone to make.”

“Will Hopoate is nothing like John Hopoate. He is already a better person and player than I ever was. He is smarter, more versatile and capable of doing things I could only dream of doing. He has my power but lots more between the ears.”

I recall in the mid 1990s when Manly were a juggernaut and John Hopoate the powerhouse winger in the best club side in the world. Back then John was a drinker and when he had a session it was heavy.

I remember pulling him out of the Bourbon and Beefsteak Bar at the Cross and driving him home after he missed a training session. It was 1996 and Manly went on to win the premiership with Hoppa a star.

That was the last year John Hopoate tasted alcohol. Playing on the frontyard when I dropped the old man off was four-year-old Will.
I don’t know if the kid decided that day that he wouldn’t drink grog but he never has - not once.

In this day and age that is quite amazing but then again so is Will.

Eels Dude

Coach
Not worth highlighting those comments. Gee sometimes people pick up a sentence in an article and try to turn it into something it is not. About as reliable as Danny Weidler.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not worth highlighting those comments. Gee sometimes people pick up a sentence in an article and try to turn it into something it is not. About as reliable as Danny Weidler.

Geez you are a sour prick.
Some people are happy to read some positive news.
Let 'em bask in it, even though it may be shite.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Geez you are a sour prick.
Some people are happy to read some positive news.
Let 'em bask in it, even though it may be shite.

Suity

What news? He roomed with Jarryd Hayne during City v Country. He had to room with somebody. That's all it says.