What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Three-peat

Exsilium

First Grade
As the regular seasons draws to a close, there's a lot of talk about how Penrith are likely to get the three peat.

What do you think the chances are? Who beats us?

If we do it, does it change our recruitment and retention strategy moving forward?

I think it is ours to lose. I think there are several teams that come finals time, can beat us. I think we're very well placed to do it but as with any premiership, a bit of luck and fortune is required.

If we win again, do we refocus on building squad depth and focus on pathways? Do we lose anyone else sooner than we planned to ensure we're looking to the future?

age.s

First Grade
A combination of injuries and Melbourne still scare me the most. Souffs and Parra shouldn't have our measure when it matters. Brisbane and the Warriors still seem a year or two off. Cows a bit too brittle.

Longer term I think we just win as many footy games as we can while rejuvenating the roster as opportunities arise. We've got several years yet before the iron core of this squad need to be shuffled on, and nothing helps develop a talented youngster like experienced old heads obsessed with high standards and personal discipline.

Sime_11

Juniors
Souths momentum is very good but their defence needs to be season best to beat us in the finals I feel.

If Paps comes back for Storm and finds form - thats the one team you dont want to face- but they dont seem the intimidating Storm of previous years.

Broncos will be competitive but sudden death football the Broncos will be better for in 2023

Cows/Eels & Warriors - just a step below the above teams mentioned

anyone else respectfully is just making up the numbers

snickers007

Juniors
As strange as it sounds, I'm more worried about the teams that will likely finish 5-8 this year (Eels, Rabbits and Cowboys). All are capable of going on a run, but I'm not sure if the tough late season stretch will tire them. They're all essentially playing finals footy from now.

I think the Warriors are still a year away and will fall to us in the Prelim. Broncos on their day will be tough, but I reckon they'll fall short too.

It's certainly shaping up to be our season to lose (again). And I think only a horror run of injuries can stop us. If we have 15 of our Top 17 available, we'll win.

In terms of how we proceed from here, I think we've done well to keep our core locked in. And while our lower grades will likely get pillaged again this year, we still have at least one NRL ready player in every position in NSW Cup (maybe excluding Hooker).

Iamback

Coach
As strange as it sounds, I'm more worried about the teams that will likely finish 5-8 this year (Eels, Rabbits and Cowboys). All are capable of going on a run, but I'm not sure if the tough late season stretch will tire them. They're all essentially playing finals footy from now.

I think the Warriors are still a year away and will fall to us in the Prelim. Broncos on their day will be tough, but I reckon they'll fall short too.

It's certainly shaping up to be our season to lose (again). And I think only a horror run of injuries can stop us. If we have 15 of our Top 17 available, we'll win.

In terms of how we proceed from here, I think we've done well to keep our core locked in. And while our lower grades will likely get pillaged again this year, we still have at least one NRL ready player in every position in NSW Cup (maybe excluding Hooker).

The problem for those sides is they will be burnt out when it comes to finals

sportsnut

Juniors
Fully fit firing Souths are the only chance and or us getting ahead of ourselves.

And yeah refs because they will be gunning for underdogs and or close game.

Munky

Coach
Like when the Cows finished eighth and couldn’t put it together in the GF

Storm 2017 were a ridiculous side who dominated the comp. Very similar to the 2022 Panthers.

The Cowboys lost a prop to a broken leg in the first five minutes of the GF. What little chance they had evaporated at the same time.

Hooked

Juniors

I think the same with the Cows. They will tire at the back end. The have been going full pelt the last two months to make up for lost ground. I don't fear them. I think they burn out.

Souffs were going well at the start of the year. Then injuries and Origin disruptions hit. They are a confidence team. If most of the key players stay fit I can see them going on a run soon.

Fangs

Coach
Things can change fast but we've dominated the competition this year outside the first month of football. You only have to look at our defensive stats. No other team is even close in that regard and D wins competitions.

Rabbits, Raiders, Warriors are all capable of hanging in the contest. Broncos/Cowboys have the flair but not sure they will be a problem. The Storm are Jekyll and Hyde this year, not sure I rate them either.

martielang

Bench
If Souths get some confidence and throw the ball around I think they can hurt us, but for whatever reason JD seems to get them playing pretty conservative when they come up against us. Cows the same, their second-phase play could be a threat if they get on a roll.

In saying all that, if we're on our game we beat anyone. But a lot can change in the next couple of months.