What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The troll Dump thread *insert cool name here*

Redsfan

Juniors
The Georgian team who tried to qualify for the League World Cup were all local Rugby-playing amateurs. All their professional players were playing in France for their clubs, and they are the ones at the Rugby World Cup. So the team you see at the current Rugby World Cup did not get beaten by the semi-professional Russian League side.

SteveM

Juniors
Georgia have a union coach, Richard Ale, who is a Tongan with experience in League.
The whole Georgian League thing came from him.
He asked for a small amount of money and said he had the players to get a side together - and he delivered on that promice.
The thing that killed it off is that they thought they could cruise through qualifiers for the League world cup like they do for the union world cup - but had their arses handed to them by Russia - who - unlike minor Union international sides - can play footy.

They are number 16 in the world at Union - but the same players would be no hope of making a 16 team league world cup.

They have decided to keep playing Union over League is because they arn't good enough to play league.

Redsfan beat me to it.

They are easily good enough to play league. RL outside the NRL and ESL is a joke. The standard of play outside these comps is pathetic.

SteveM

Juniors
What about Estonia for example, where the Estonian Federation has made moves to run both a RU and RL team? That is a potential model to follow. Why couldn't the Georgian Rugby Federation could put a team into both RU and RL qualifiers if we asked them to?

They could but they would most likely lose funding from the IRB. The IRB is not a charity for the RLIF.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
SteveM said:
Redsfan beat me to it.

They are easily good enough to play league. RL outside the NRL and ESL is a joke. The standard of play outside these comps is pathetic.

Judging by the poor skill level of most of the players on show at the union world cup union is a poor state also.

SteveM

Juniors
Personally when i finsihed with league because my body could take the contact any longer i played union for another 3 seasons. I went from playing 60 minutes of league a game and being absolutely buggered to playing 80 minutes of union and not feeling to bad.

I played league and the tacking was really easy compared to union. The players are so much smaller. I'm not that big in union (5' 11", 98 kg) but was one of the bigger players in league.

All things being equal you do have be fitter in league as that is the nature of the game. In union you have be more powerful.

roopy

Referee
SteveM said:
Redsfan beat me to it.

the standard of union is most countries - including Georgia - would be equal to second grade in a country comp.
Despite the fact that you could make up three teams of NZ born and two teams of Aus, SA and English born players from teams in the WC, all teams outside the top 5 or so are a joke.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
SteveM said:
I played league and the tacking was really easy compared to union. The players are so much smaller. I'm not that big in union (5' 11", 98 kg) but was one of the bigger players in league.

All things being equal you do have be fitter in league as that is the nature of the game. In union you have be more powerful.

lololololololololololololololol

deluded pom?

Coach
Do you think Steve is about twelve years old and sniggers into his hand when he types his "oh so witty" comments?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
SteveM said:
Redsfan beat me to it.

I suppose you've been to RL games in France, PNG, Russia and other places and seen the games for yourself?

If not, I suppose you've seen them on TV or viewed the games over the net?

If not, STFU and stop with the usual know all know nothing BS you pricks continually spout out, you have no idea what the teams and players are like outside of the NRL and the SL.

If anyone's a joke, it's the people who talk about things they have NFI about.

Oh and Redsfag, you go on about Russia and all the other places over at planet punt monkey, I've read what you have wrote, you are a muppet, or a sheep who can't think for himself, so what do you do, you follow the number 1 rule all rah rahs follow, when you don't know, just mention NSW-QLD-Auckland-PNG and the North of England. :roll:

For your info, RL is stronger in Russia than union, plenty of newspaper reports from Russia have been posted here, plenty of pics as well, instead of talking sh*t, might I suggest you look them up, they are usually in threads that contain Russia in the title. :roll:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
obviously never played rugby league or he would never have made such a dumb arse comment like that, even former union players that have played league to a man say that the one thing that is a lot tougher and unforgiving is the tackling.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You have to be f*cking kidding.. you're an out and out liar SteveM

RU tackling has one objective, to bring the guy down to the ground, and that's it. Defence is a series of one-on-one marking as far as the technical aspect of team-defence goes, and more often than not guys are virtually diving at your feet to ensure they maintain position to not get turned over.

RL tackling has the impetus of not just impeding the opponents forward momentum, you have to wrap up the ball, unsure you can escape the tackle if the ball is offloaded and you need to much more alert in defending running angles off the ball as the runner has greater momentum due to 10m.

Defence in RU is just something you do, defence in RL is a science.

Anyone who has played both games can only come to that conclusion. Any statement that differs is from someone who is a liar or a troll.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I'm stunned to be honest that he's made that statement.....

He may as well have said he's been to Mars, it's just as believable.

screeny

Bench
griff said:
I'm not saying the RU big wigs would help a potential rival. Of course they wouldn't. But if you went in the front door with the right incentives, it could work.

What about Estonia for example, where the Estonian Federation has made moves to run both a RU and RL team? That is a potential model to follow. Why couldn't the Georgian Rugby Federation could put a team into both RU and RL qualifiers if we asked them to?

Mate, Estonia has about 20 players in the whole country! It's not a good example IMO as it's not a viable 'rugby' country. It's a series of press releases and a name on a page, not much more.

To answer your question: it is my belief that the vast, vast majority of RU federations see league, quite rightly, as a massive threat and will - and should if they want to protect themselves - do everything to stamp us out.

screeny

Bench
Redsfan said:
The Georgian team who tried to qualify for the League World Cup were all local Rugby-playing amateurs. All their professional players were playing in France for their clubs, and they are the ones at the Rugby World Cup. So the team you see at the current Rugby World Cup did not get beaten by the semi-professional Russian League side.

At least two of the Georgians in the RUWC squad played in the RLWC qualifiers.

Why try and debate about the relative skill levels between the two codes? It's a non-argument. And RRL is famous for its poor skill level!

screeny

Bench
SteveM said:
Redsfan beat me to it.

What RL have you seen outside the NRL and SL? I've seen French RL and the standard is very good...the fitness and conditioning is lacking. I've not seen NZ RL but I bet it's a high standard, and is only getting better and better as more and more NZers make it in the NRL and inspire more kids to take up the game.

I bet Fijian RL is good too as their administration is getting better and more professional with great corporate support.

Lebanon RL just beat Serbia, which is a sign that they're improving too, and the highlights on You Tube show Serbian and Lebanese footballers playing good quality RL.

EDIT: sorry ParrEels I basically said what you'd already said.

SteveM

Juniors
I play in the centre in union and that's were all the big hits and collisions occur. The conversion to RL was quite easy. The only thing was there was a lot more running but after a few weeks you get used to it.

The gang tackle is obviously the toughest part.

I just don't understand your league is tougher than union thing.

I quite regularly talk to blokes who have played both (almost did myself once as a kid) and I've never heard anyone say union was tougher and certainly never said it was easier. The overwhelming theme was that you had to run harder and more often, had to tackle harder and more often and therefore you also took a lot of harder hits. That seems pretty believeable when yu just watch the two, not that I ever watch union.

The biggest problem for us is that clearly the quality of the games don't mean everything to potential fans otherwise league would already be bigger than union. Union's rise, and league's consequently stunted growth, has far more to do with politics and money than anything that happens on the field.

shiznit

Coach
i think the key driver for RU to the developing nations is the RWC and the 7's series.

the RWC is the cashcow that gives the IRB the money to throw at the smaller nations.

the world 7's series gets the game across to areas like china, the usa etc....

the portugal players pick up alot of theyre skills from the 7's series.

if the RLWC proves to be a financial sucsess for the RLIF( thats hardly a given) then they can pump money back into the small nations.

i think its important that the RLIF look at producing a low budget RLWC where you spend the majority of your money on marketing the product. we know theres a good product but you need people to see it. i would have alot of games in the smaller stadiums like gosford, olympic park, Win stadium, Shark Park etc.... the last thing you need is big empty stadiums and the competition ending up in the red.... let the football do the talking...