What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Who Gives A f**k Grand Final!

grouch

First Grade
I absolutely cannot stand the attitude of "fans" who turn off the footy when their team is gone. Even worse are those who only watch their own team's games. People like this are just fairweather and don't deserve to be part of this beautiful game.

I am a fan of the Dragons. I am also a fan of RUGBY LEAGUE. And Cowboys have played some of the best and most inspiring rugby league these last few weeks, as have the Storm all year. I don't have to support them to love watching it
Could not agree more! Fabulous post

The other element to this is, by diminishing the grand final when your team isn't it, you by extension, diminish the game when they ARE in it. You remove what's special about it. The fact that everyone is watching, and everyone wants to be there, and everyone begrudgingly admires the talent and achievement of the teams competing. It's dumb to me

This year you've got the best team all year, against the best team in the finals. on top of that, the Cowboys are an absolutely phenomenal story just reaching it, and they are fun to watch. Would not miss it for quids. Go the Cows

Life's Good

Coach
One point I missed about this GF is that it is 2 expansion teams(SL was 20+ years ago so I don't really get concerned over that). If it wasn't for expansion teams and more games driving TV revenues then it's likely a couple of the Sydney clubs would be dead. Seeing the amount of debt our club is in it's not a stretch to think one of those teams would be us seeing we have been relying on carrying a debt with no evidence its getting paid back anytime soon.

Old Timer

Coach
One point I missed about this GF is that it is 2 expansion teams(SL was 20+ years ago so I don't really get concerned over that). If it wasn't for expansion teams and more games driving TV revenues then it's likely a couple of the Sydney clubs would be dead. Seeing the amount of debt our club is in it's not a stretch to think one of those teams would be us seeing we have been relying on carrying a debt with no evidence its getting paid back anytime soon.
The expansion is about TV rights and money
If the TV was told to f**k off what would really happen?
Players would be paid less and people would most likely attend more games if there is less live coverage
Many elite NRL players let alone the journeymen aren't the sharpest tools in the shed so if they were told for example no to $400,000 but $200,000 or no to $200,000 but yes to $100,000 was ok do you think many would leave to persue alternate careers?
Some of those alternate careers would be labouring, forklift or truck driving, police, public servant
High player payments support a plethora of leaches including player managers etc and we are the ones that ultimately fork out to fund it.
If this crop of players said we are out I can assure you there are many that would fill their boots for less.
Would the quality of the sport go down maybe a bit but champions will still come along.

Life's Good

Coach
The expansion is about TV rights and money
If the TV was told to f**k off what would really happen?
Players would be paid less and people would most likely attend more games if there is less live coverage
Many elite NRL players let alone the journeymen aren't the sharpest tools in the shed so if they were told for example no to $400,000 but $200,000 or no to $200,000 but yes to $100,000 was ok do you think many would leave to persue alternate careers?
Some of those alternate careers would be labouring, forklift or truck driving, police, public servant
High player payments support a plethora of leaches including player managers etc and we are the ones that ultimately fork out to fund it.
If this crop of players said we are out I can assure you there are many that would fill their boots for less.
Would the quality of the sport go down maybe a bit but champions will still come along.

I am not sure if what you are saying is what you would like to see happen or what may happen as a result of less dollars.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope Melbourne win so this bias can go away next season and they don't get every call their way to help them make the final. The NRL will finally get what they want and get a premiership in Melbourne to help boost the game. They got a great crowd on Friday so that may be enough also to stop this favouritism.

Cowboys have been awesome especially Morgan. What a gun player. If I could have any halves combo in my team I would have Morgan at 7 and Munster at 6. Those 2 are absolute guns.

Wasn't there some investor that was interested in buying the Storm? Pretty sure I heard something a few months ago.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Normally I would avoid an all Super League decider, but as I've witnessed every one since 1983, I really can't break the trend.

Grand Finals were invented so the Dragons can play in them, and for each passing year that doesn't feature them, it gets a little more tedious to watch.

Walpole

Juniors
I hope Melbourne win so this bias can go away next season and they don't get every call their way to help them make the final. The NRL will finally get what they want and get a premiership in Melbourne to help boost the game. They got a great crowd on Friday so that may be enough also to stop this favouritism.

Cowboys have been awesome especially Morgan. What a gun player. If I could have any halves combo in my team I would have Morgan at 7 and Munster at 6. Those 2 are absolute guns.

Wasn't there some investor that was interested in buying the Storm? Pretty sure I heard something a few months ago.
Pretty sure you'll get to watch that 6 and 7 combination destroy NSW for the next 10 years!

As has been said, if you can't get some enjoyment out of the Storms combinations or Morgan and Taumalolo at their best you aren't much of a rugby league fan.

mickeylane

Bench
I'm simply a die hard Dragons fan...I don't like other teams nor do I enjoy their successes.. The game of RL is now unfortunately a business - just look at the way they schedule the games for TV which favour teams like Brisbane .. The 3rd party payments is the worst rule ever and only makes for an uneven playing field.. Give me a comp that has no 3rd party payments and I'll show you a comp that had the potential to throw up a Penrith or Parra as Premiers this year!!

Fangs

Coach
The Cowboys have made the 2017 somewhat interesting.

Definately the worst season I've ever watched IMO. The majority of the teams have played garbage football.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If you are a Traditionalist, then you would prefer a Saturday afternoon Grand Final right?

Absolutely. Saturday arvo grand final, back to the club that evening after the win. Couple of schooners of Toohey's Old on tap. No daylight saving the next day to worry about what time it is. Given its the October long weekend the Hardi-Ferodo 500 should be on the box all Sunday. Life would be good.

Life's Good

Coach
Absolutely. Saturday arvo grand final, back to the club that evening after the win. Couple of schooners of Toohey's Old on tap. No daylight saving the next day to worry about what time it is. Given its the October long weekend the Hardi-Ferodo 500 should be on the box all Sunday. Life would be good.
Life's Good.

ouryear

Juniors
Mickey was right.....I started watching it, switched it over just after half time.

Shitttttt of the highest order.

And no, I don't admire or envy the purple cheaters, they are a rort of a club.

Why would any one of you admire a club with a history of cheating and rorting.

No different if you still admired Lance Armstrong after discovering he was a cheat.

Hope AFL crushes them.

Merkins...cheats....shit me

And 730pm kick off......joke of a time.
Though as it was storm, could have been midnight for all i care.

Last edited:

Latest posts