The WTF Awakens. A Dragons Story.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Bests Golden Boots, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Rubbish, we still have our “May Premiers” trophy from last year.

to_ddeath, ouryears and Crush like this.
  2. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Yeah. Just imagine if someone would have said to one of us at the start of the year, would you take us leading the comp after round 14? lol Many on this forum would have laughed at the suggestion, they would have even questioned ones sanity for even suggesting it was a genuine proposition. lol

Saintsified likes this.
  3. BennyV

BennyV Coach

FMD I’m sick of all this discussion of May Premiers.

Guys, we were second at the end of May. Penrith were the May Premiers, not us. We were only March and April premiers.

4. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Dagnammit, does that mean we have to hand the trophy to Gus?

ouryears and Crush like this.
  5. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Indeed it does, and this is the time of year that teams at the top of the ladder are generally patchy in form. If we win most of our next 4-5 games scrappily that’s fine, so long as we then start trending up in form.

hazzbeen, Crush, Frank Facer and 2 others like this.
  6. MilanDragon

MilanDragon Juniors

Exactly right. I’m happy to go start a season strong, go through patchy form and hit peak end of season/finals.

I actually don’t mind if we are patchy for another month or so, as long as we start building after that for a finals run and hit peak form round 2 of finals.

We’ll also find if we bank up wins now, later in the season we can rest players and the Seles/hosts/Lawries of the world get more game time.

There’s not many teams out there who are dominant for 26 weeks.. one that springs to mind was Parra 2001, but yet they lost in the end anyway.

Frank Facer and The Damo like this.
  7. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

We have been saying that since March :grinning:, but we continue to lead the comp.

Not winning in June? It applies for all clubs dunit?

Crush and Frank Facer like this.
  8. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

True Damo I don't care how we win and I don't care what our coach does , as long as we keep winning and and do start to improve our form over the next few weeks . What I don't want to see is the slide that happened last year , at the moment the similarities are there but we seem to be able to hang on , so hopefully we can keep grinding and come out the other end firing ready to go on with it ........

The Damo likes this.
  9. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Which is fantastic in theory. But what evidence do you have in Mary’s time as coach or in our time with our current conditioning staff that this is the case?
    In reality, those banking on this are just trying to look for false positives and excuses for our ‘patchy’ form (putting it nicely).

10. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

A wish and a prayer?
    I’m not actually banking on it at all. I think it’s a reasonable possibility. For a few reasons;
    I don’t find the burnt out player argument convincing, have detailed why not elsewhere plenty. It would show in the stats. And I’d need some evidence that our players are playing through injuries that other players generally don’t. I’ve asked, no ones come up with any.
    We’ve got a more competent and consistent half back. Even Hunt at 80% isn’t gonna give away those 7 tackle sets at the worst times like McCrone did half a dozen times at the back end of last year.
    We’ve got a better prop rotation than we had.
    With Sims and JDB’s development our back row is markedly better than it was.
    Nene and Aitken are much improved too.
    Dufty is a better attacking full back than Dugan was.
    McInnes looks both more dangerous in attack and physically capable of playing 80 through the year.
    Mary is not a great coach, but he’s got a good team who has played both very good and average football this year, and is 10-3 through a pretty tough draw. If we can repeat our form from earlier at the pointy end, we’ll be very hard to beat.
    So maybe a little more than a wish and a prayer.

11. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

So just a little more context for the burnout argument. We can all agree Bellamy is pretty much the benchmark for coaches? So here’s how he used several players over recent seasons (have just included reg season games)
    Finucane at lock
    2016 - 24 games average 62 minutes
    2017 - 23 games average 62 mins. Not sure why he missed 1 game. Probably suspension or injury not rested though.
    Kaufusi at second row (only became starting player 2017)
    2017 - 24 games average 77 mins
    Harris at second row
    2015 - 24 games average 77 mins
    2016 - 24 games average 78 mins
    2017 - due to injuries played only 11 games
    Bromwich at prop
    2015 - 24 games average 64 minutes
    2016 - 24 games average 59 minutes
    2017 - 20 games (missed 4 to injury, not rested, broken thumb I think) averaged 50 minutes.

What Our forwards are doing is normal for top level first graders in their positions.

True_Believer and MilanDragon like this.
  12. denis preston

denis preston Bench

The other point for me is we have tapered off and probably lucky to win 2 of the last 4 games , but these are games we would have lost last year. If we compare ourselves to Penrith and Souths now , we have no chance BUT will Penrith & Souths be playing the same standard of football come September ?
    It will help us enormously as well if the 3 stooges come up with a strategy against rushing defenses.

The Damo and hazzbeen like this.
  13. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Yeah I agree. It’s gonna be about who can produce their best games at the pointy end of the season.
    Biggest problem those games was lack of offloads and only going one wide. If teams are getting on top by rushing then we’ve gotta get players trailing and really push for offloads.

14. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Yes, perhaps two tactics will help against rushing defenses and we have the skill in the halves to implement them.The factor here is speed wide so we may be stuffed here.

1. 2 Quick long passes to wide receivers ( couldn't be used with Flo on the wing )

2. 3rd or 4th tackle kicks behind the opposition defense.

The Damo likes this.
  15. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Perhaps the best option would be to explain to Mary and JDB that he is not in fact the halfback and to get the hell out of first receiver.

16. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

Amen.

This sums up things succinctly. Mind you, Frizell's defence has been 'iffy' for a prolonged while now (but hey, let's solely concentrate on a winger!!!)

And, you're spot on about the team's general laziness particularly straight after the halftime break. Saints had several players AMBLING back on side less than 90 seconds following me resumption of play.

That's 90 SECONDS!!!

From this it's clear McGregor has failed to grasp two rudimentary flaws within his coaching strategies.

These are:

1. not having a contingency plan should the power game fail to aim up and,

2. not being able to utilise the full 17 players at his disposal.

17. MilanDragon

MilanDragon Juniors

Impressive stats.

Funny no one responded.. proves too many people wrong in the burnout argument.

I’d say also looking at that, those that averaged about 77mins probably only played one or two games all season where they didn’t play the full 80. Similar to a certain Frizz and Sims. But we’re supposed to bench them.. go figure.

Our problem is that maybe our forwards don’t play long enough minutes!!

The Damo likes this.
  18. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Yep, your right about what that average means. it’s just not unusual how our forwards are used, despite constant claims it’s terrible.

Credit where it’s due BennyV and couple others responded in jubilee ave with good observations.

But if your best player can play 80 most games, doesn’t get injured or suspended, and is under 30 - they get rested at most once in the last half of the year. And generally not. Not by Bellamy, bennet or any other benchmark coach.

19. 2010

2010 Bench

I still think Hunt and JDB were not 100% last few games.
    I am expecting them to have big games against Manly

ouryears likes this.