What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim grog monster

parra pete

Referee
strider said:
well then - lets sack every knob who gets drunk at a pub and is abusive - should do wonders for them unemployment rate in this country! :roll:

yeah he shouldn't do it and needs a good kick in the arse - but sack him? i don't think so ..... most of his past "form" have been non-events made to be something by the frickin media - no way i'd hang him out to dry yet

Would your attitude be the same if Charles Brincat was you...and it was your son in law and grandchildren that Tim Smith abused.
These overpaid clowns need reining in.

Kornstar

Coach
I have been abused by many drunk people, who cares?

As long as there is alcohol in society, people are going to be yelled at by drunk people, simple as that!

Stupid act yes, sackable offence, i think not!

Gronk

Staff member
parra pete said:
Would your attitude be the same if Charles Brincat was you...and it was your son in law and grandchildren that Tim Smith abused.

I think the words abused and harrassed should only be used when we get Timmy's side of the story.

I would be suprised if Timmy just randomly selected Charles and his family for a spray without provocation.

Let's not forget that he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are available.

Tank30

Juniors
parra pete said:

And if the abuser's name was not Tim Smith, Charlie Brincat would have not have mentioned the incident, except maybe as one line to his wife when he got home...

I do not condone yelling and swearing when children are around but there is also an element of Charles Brincat's 15 minutes of fame here as well

spiderdan

Bench
i agree with kornstar to a great extent except that because of the spotlight on these guys they are pretty much representing whoever they play for and the nrl 24/7.

that story doesn't have all the facts (and i don't have them either) so i would be interested to hear what tim and anyone else that was there has to say. the guy was drunk in the off-season so i don't think it's a major issue there but if he was directing abuse at members of the public he really should take a look at himself.

whether he wants to be or not he is an ambassador for the parramatta club and this sort of behaviour (if it happened) can't be good for the club given that image translates into sponsorship revenue. given the current financial climate for our club (ie. pokie taxes) this type of incident isn't good for anyone.

Snoochies

First Grade
If Tim gets sacked for this, I reckon look out the rest of the NRL. This could just pave a way for members of the public to put in complaints to clubs about players they dislike or to get their own 15 minutes of fame.

NRL players are hot targets and in this instance, this bloke may just dislike Tim and has made the incident waay bigger than it actually is.

Anyway, the board will take the appropriate steps to suss out the situation.

johnkolc

Juniors
Complete beat-up. I was worried by that headline but no one from Parramatta has suggested he is facing the sack as far as I can tell.

Agree that it's not a good look, but what crime has been committed here? Say that it was one of us that did it and it was reported not to the news but to the police, what would be the punishment for any of us? Probably a caution, maybe at most a fine for drunk in a public place.

I'm sure given the importance of the player to us the Club will investigate this thoroughly. But I would be very very surprised if his contract is terminated.

One other thing, just because he's had a couple of incidents on the drink, does not automatically mean he has a 'drinking problem'. I think it's irresponsible of the media to automatically assume that just because some young sportsman takes risks by taking drugs or acts like a goose on the drink they have some sort of substance addiction.

Hellsy

Immortal
Kornstar/Gronk/Tank30 - Agree totally. Same as with the 'Santa Claus' issue.

Timmy needs another alcohol ban I think but other than that......

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
If Tim was drunk thats a bit disappointing because he does have form and is just letting himself down, however on the basis of what I've read, i wouldnt say there is enough substance in the public domain to be saying someone has nailed their man and someone else is facing the sack.

If Todd Carney can still hold a place in the NRL for doing a runner on police and Maitua can still have a contract after repeated indiscretions then I think it is highly hypocritical of the club or anyone for that matter to talk about sacking Tim for being loutish and drunk.

I am disappointed again but would anything be made of it if he didn't play in the NRL.

The other side of the coin is that the Eels should follow the lead of Canberra and get him some counselling and maybe even some community service. That said it is a bit hard to compare what Carney did to what Tim has allegedly done.

fanool

Juniors
Ho hum...........

Here we go again.

I would be shocked if the sack him. Can't see it happening.

Channel 9 and DT beat up

sooperdooper

First Grade
Tim shouldnt and wont be sacked...
In the article this Charles guy says tim was drunk and stuff, swearing and sticking up his finger...
Where does charles say it was directed directly at him and his children?
Tim is just a normal 22/23 year old bloke... his 'previous' problems all showed to be a storm in a tea cup. Eg: Santa, Northies. Where it was proven that he was not in the wrong
This is yet another, another beat up.

Bigfella

Coach
I think he will be sailing close to the wind because of the other incidents.

This incident itself falls well short of any crime. It is less serious in itself than the Santa incident.

But I can't help but feel the club's investigation into the incident at Cronulla was a smother job. They won't want to sack him that's for sure, but it's a matter of what conditions they laid last time.

Can they fine him $100K and allocate that to Hayne and Inu's salaries LOL?

Let me put a situation to you. NOW LET ME HIGHLIGHT I KNOW NOTHING OF THE EVENT APART FROM WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED.

So Charles, his Son-In-Law and Daughter are at North Parramatta Macca's the Can't get a Car Park inside the venue so they Park Next to the Royal Oak Hotel.

Tim Smith is having some fun with his Mates at the Pub outside and has taken his shirt of because he is hot. Blokes doing what blokes do they are mucking about maybe wrestling or something, bit of a laugh, some language being used but it is a laugh. Tim is forced out the gate, and twigs his shoulder, nothing serious but it moved in a way uncomfortable after his operation. He Drops the F-bomb and Charles and his Son-In-Law and Daughter are walking toward the car. Charles being a Moral Champion, pulls Tim up for swearing in public, around his little princess, Tim Replies, "Mind your on Business" Maybe worse and Tim goes back into the Pub.

Until we know the whole story, we wont know what went down or who is to blame. The Sacking thing is a Media Beat up, it sells papers for them. Personally, I just ignore that and wait for the club to make a statement.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22876793-5012431,00.html

"I'm in the Hunter Valley so I haven't spoken to him but it is something, from what I understand, that he was using some abusive language," Fitzgerald said last night. "I don't think it's overly dramatic, in that he's missed a training schedule or anything on the rugby league side. There's a difference of opinion about what he said to the person and we're trying to find out a bit more about it."

Wonder why the DT or 2GB don't type or say all what Fitzgerald had to say.

It's another slow news day and they need something to print. They need to beat up a story. Obviously people dying in Africa and around the world is less important than Tim Smith getting drunk. The Media are stuffed.

Gronk

Staff member
Jake the snake said:

"I'm in the Hunter Valley so I haven't spoken to him but it is something, from what I understand, that he was using some abusive language," Fitzgerald said last night. "I don't think it's overly dramatic, in that he's missed a training schedule or anything on the rugby league side. There's a difference of opinion about what he said to the person and we're trying to find out a bit more about it."

It's another slow news day and they need something to print. They need to beat up a story. Obviously people dying in Africa and around the world is less important than Tim Smith getting drunk. The Media are stuffed.

When the truth gets out, the world will know that Charles is a Manly supporter. ;-)

sooperdooper

First Grade
MarkInTheStands said:
Let me put a situation to you. NOW LET ME HIGHLIGHT I KNOW NOTHING OF THE EVENT APART FROM WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED.

So Charles, his Son-In-Law and Daughter are at North Parramatta Macca's the Can't get a Car Park inside the venue so they Park Next to the Royal Oak Hotel.

Tim Smith is having some fun with his Mates at the Pub outside and has taken his shirt of because he is hot. Blokes doing what blokes do they are mucking about maybe wrestling or something, bit of a laugh, some language being used but it is a laugh. Tim is forced out the gate, and twigs his shoulder, nothing serious but it moved in a way uncomfortable after his operation. He Drops the F-bomb and Charles and his Son-In-Law and Daughter are walking toward the car. Charles being a Moral Champion, pulls Tim up for swearing in public, around his little princess, Tim Replies, "Mind your on Business" Maybe worse and Tim goes back into the Pub.

Until we know the whole story, we wont know what went down or who is to blame. The Sacking thing is a Media Beat up, it sells papers for them. Personally, I just ignore that and wait for the club to make a statement.

Hit the nail on the head, as Charles did not say the swearing or fingers shown werre towards him. they were mearly in public

Now beleive it or not but Timmy is a good bloke and know him well. Sure he and the other boys do like a drink from time to time but he knows the problems that comes with it...
As silly as it sounds he knows how to act and wouldnt intentionally do this.
If this proves to be a load of junk (which i am confident of) i think tim should seriously consider taking action against those who tarnish his name.

eel4life

Juniors
Im so lukcy i am not a professional athlete.

I would have brought the game into disrepute every single thursday, friday, saturday and sunday night, for 10 years.

I would of been sacked from every single club that is out there.

Yes what he did was very very silly, yes its seems there is a problem with him being on the drink, but also there are 2 sides to a story and the one portraid is always going to be worse once it goes through the channels it has.

Im not saying anything other than Tim and the rest of the boys did a very very stupid thing, but when you get drunk , when dont you do stupid things.

how many of you wake up saying, oh jeeeez, did i really do that, i will put up my hand and say yeah i have been there, i have done that, and you learn from it.

These kids, young men have a responsability to act in a certain way, but they are kids and young boys, who will do stupid things every once in a while.

Jarryd took a bite at that girl, TImmy and piggy went on a bender and they went to training drunk, Reni went on a bender cause of bobcats bucks night, do you all think these guys are angels?

I have had some massive nights over the years, and went to work drunk sometimes, hell how many people do you think are going to do stupid things on their XMAS parties, i know i have seen some things happen, but only if its reaaallly reallly bad do they get the sack.

He should cop something for this, the sack will be to harsh a penalty, but this is my opinion and i hear people say he is crap and it will be better for us if we get rid of him.

if you look at what he did in 2007, in some stats i think it was try assists he was equal with thurston, so he def has the potential, hopefully the club can help him get his attitude right and then put him on a Reni deal like the dogs have done.

fish eel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:

Exactly.

I think a few people have got ahead of themselves.

All we have that is new really since Hadley broke this so called story, is a players name.

There has not been one piece of evidence produced in the public domain to demonstrate Tim Smith behaved in an inappropriate manner.

He may have been drunk, which is probably a bit disappointing given his previous issues and that would deserve a talking to. It is the off season however. I'd be more concerned if he was on a mid season bender.

If, now if he has mucked up, and thats a big if because we don't know, some disciplinary action is probably needed, because like it or not, he is not just a high profile person, but an ambassador for the club. His public behaviour reflects on the club. But on the basis of what we actually know about what happened, talking about disciplinary action is just blowing some hot air around.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sacking him is a bit extreme. Discipline him? Sure. Fine him? Hell yes. Get him to seek some help? Absolutely. Sack him? :?