What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim grog monster

badav

Bench
The Colonel said:
If Todd Carney can still hold a place in the NRL for doing a runner on police and Maitua can still have a contract after repeated indiscretions then I think it is highly hypocritical of the club or anyone for that matter to talk about sacking Tim for being loutish and drunk.

Todd Carney and Reni Maitua are both repeat offenders. And guess what, funnily enough both of their clubs have come out in public and put them on last chances, only to have them both do something stupid again (todd carney was put on a last chance after his drinking driving incident, so was Reni Maitua). Didn't Tim Smith get put on a "last chance" after his last incident. I am also certain he did.

Sick of all these clubs that are all talk because they are afraid someone else will get their players. History clearly shows that giving them a slap on the wrist a fine, and a stern talking to does nothing for them in the end. And also when clubs say "last chance" in reference to their star players they are clearly full of sh*t

If i was you Parramatta supporters i wouldn't be worried about whether this "Charles" guy is a manly supporter or whether he wants 15 minutes of fame. Whats important is whether what he says is the truth.

parra pete

Referee
Kornstar said:
I have been abused by many drunk people, who cares?

As long as there is alcohol in society, people are going to be yelled at by drunk people, simple as that!

Stupid act yes, sackable offence, i think not!

I was a publican for 20 years. I have been abused many times, and it was water off a ducks back.
But ALLEGEDLY ABUSING innocent members of the Public is a different matter. What was he doing on the premises if he was pissed. The Pub could be in strife also for breaches of RSA.
If the bloke has no discipline on social occasions, how much discipline will he have on the paddock.
If he deserves it PUNT him. Plenty of fish in the sea. I don't care one way or another.

The Colonel

Immortal
badav said:
Todd Carney and Reni Maitua are both repeat offenders. And guess what, funnily enough both of their clubs have come out in public and put them on last chances, only to have them both do something stupid again (todd carney was put on a last chance after his drinking driving incident, so was Reni Maitua).

Sick of all these clubs that are all talk because they are afraid someone else will get their players. History clearly shows that giving them a slap on the wrist a fine, and a stern talking to does nothing for them in the end. And also when clubs say "last chance" in reference to their star players they are clearly full of sh*t

Denis Fitzgerald said:
"I don't think it's overly dramatic, in that he's missed a training schedule or anything on the rugby league side. There's a difference of opinion about what he said to the person and we're trying to find out a bit more about it."

It is the last part of the statement that the DT haven't run that may be of interest. Last I heard running from the cops because your licence has been suspended was a damn sight more severe than dropping the f bomb coming home from the pub.

<H1>Warriors ace denies attack charge

</H1>

TH1_512200719WIG001_009_05-12-07_084054.jpg

IAFETA Palea?aesina
javascript: ViewGallery(), post: "

Wigan forward Iafeta Palea'aesina has appeared in court accused of breaking a bus driver's jaw.

The 25-year-old Kiwi-born prop appeared before Wigan magistrates and pleaded not guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

The charge relates to an alleged incident on October 6 outside Wigan North Western railway station.

Palea'aesina was released on unconditional bail until December 18 to appear for committal proceedings to crown court.

If it were the above then I'd be more worried about him being sacked.

The Colonel

Immortal
parra pete said:
I was a publican for 20 years. I have been abused many times, and it was water off a ducks back.
But ALLEGEDLY ABUSING innocent members of the Public is a different matter. What was he doing on the premises if he was pissed. The Pub could be in strife also for breaches of RSA.
If the bloke has no discipline on social occasions, how much discipline will he have on the paddock.
If he deserves it PUNT him. Plenty of fish in the sea. I don't care one way or another.

The word is alleged pete....... might remember that one. ;-)

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Just when I thought he was starting to mature on and off the field, this happens. I think he needs to get some help and the Eels need to address the problem of a drinking culture.

Bigfella

Coach
Jake's story puts it in context, and also that the last thing the club wants to do is sack him.

I do find it mildly annoying that Riddell Smith and Finch are always in the papers getting on the turps.

Sure, they are normal blokes. Sure they are entitled to a laugh. Sure, they haven;t done too much wrong.

But surely it is no coincidence that our three least disciplined players off the field are probably our three least consistent perfromers on field?

They are paid as elite athletes but don;t behave like it. I'm not saying they should be sacked, but I'm happy to say they are overpaid while they behave like that.

Bigfella

Coach
BTW MITS - I can see how this story is a beat up and the allegation isn't that serious.

But your scenario is at the opposite exteme - bending over backwards to make excuses for the bloke. That's ridiculous.

fish eel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
Jake's story puts it in context, and also that the last thing the club wants to do is sack him.

I do find it mildly annoying that Riddell Smith and Finch are always in the papers getting on the turps.

Sure, they are normal blokes. Sure they are entitled to a laugh. Sure, they haven;t done too much wrong.

But surely it is no coincidence that our three least disciplined players off the field are probably our three least consistent perfromers on field?

They are paid as elite athletes but don;t behave like it. I'm not saying they should be sacked, but I'm happy to say they are overpaid while they behave like that.

I think that is a very good point.

badav

Bench
The Colonel said:
It is the last part of the statement that the DT haven't run that may be of interest. Last I heard running from the cops because your licence has been suspended was a damn sight more severe than dropping the f bomb coming home from the pub.

If it were the above then I'd be more worried about him being sacked.

That may be true. But i don't think you should be comparing it to other incidents. Would you want your club to have the disciplnary standards (double standards too) that the Raiders employ?? I sure as hell would not. That would not be a good thing at all.

In any case, drunkenly abusing people is bloody stupid, and even more stupid when your a football player who has a history on the drink, and who has been told your on your last chance with your club. Im not some moral high horse person either. I drink and do get drunk, but to me someone that abuses random people while on the drink is someone who can't handle their alcohol.

Bigfella said:
BTW MITS - I can see how this story is a beat up and the allegation isn't that serious.

But your scenario is at the opposite exteme - bending over backwards to make excuses for the bloke. That's ridiculous.

I am not making any excuses, and indeed it is supposed to be the Opposite extreme. That is why it is a Hypothetical.

The Colonel

Immortal
badav said:
That may be true. But i don't think you should be comparing it to other incidents. Would you want your club to have the disciplnary standards (double standards too) that the Raiders employ?? I sure as hell would not. That would not be a good thing at all.

Do you know the disciplinary standards at the Eels are different to that of Canberra?

In any case, drunkenly abusing people is bloody stupid, and even more stupid when your a football player who has a history on the drink, and who has been told your on your last chance with your club. Im not some moral high horse person either. I drink and do get drunk, but to me someone that abuses random people while on the drink is someone who can't handle their alcohol.

The word you have forgotten is alleged becuase at this point in time that is exactly what it is. We do not know the full story and we sure as hell don't know if it was random abuse nor do we know if it was provoked.

I don't condone what he has done - it is bloody stupid and he has placed himself in a situation again where he shouldn't probably be. That in itself for mine is the most disappointing thing.

Bigfella said:

Bigfella has hit the nail firmly on the head - this is probably the biggest issue.

If what Mr Brincat alleges is true then the club do need to give him a much more solid kick in the arse than what they have but he does not need to be sacked over an incident that has only come to light because of the fact he is a footballer.

bartman

Immortal
I think what we are all concerned about here is that bit in bold, about on-field discipline, consistency and potential. We're just all showing our concern for the good of the team/club/individual in different ways.

These guys aren't just training a couple of nights a week with a game on the weekend while doing a trade to earn their living like the old days. They're being paid full-time professional big money to be professional athletes, and also to behave professionally because whenever they are in public they inevitably represent an organisation that needs to maximise its sponsorship and support potential.

What a bunch of mates should be saying to someone like Tim over past incidents and this alleged incident is "Mate, if you can't handle your alcohol and get abusive and sloppy and risky in public, then don't come out with us. Get yourself sorted out, here's some phone numbers. Just to help you not feel left out, we'll make sure we go on benders at mates houses every now and then where you'd be invited along."

And if his mates can't take steps to help someone who struggles on the drink out a bit (like our mates would for you or I), then in my book the club has to step in and take steps to help all of them get a bit more professional when they're out and about.

skeepe

Immortal
badav said:

I think what the Raiders did was very appropriate. We've seen it happen before... a player f**ks up, gets sacked, and another club is literally waiting outside the door with a fat contract. Hell, the Raiders have been that club on a couple of occasions.

Now, with Todd Carney, you can cry double standards all you like. But they came down extremely hard on him. Suspended for 6 or so weeks. Sent to work in a real estate agent at normal office wages. Community service. Alcohol counselling and ban. Only training part time with the Premier League squad. Basically cut off from the first team altogether. Life would not have been pleasant for Todd during the time. Now look at the opposite. He's sacked, which hurts for a little bit sure, but he gets a whopping great contract at another club, probably on more coin than he's on now, and is back playing in the NRL the very next week.

The way the club sanctioned Carney was a far greater punishment than sacking could ever have been. And it worked.

Now if what Tim Smith did is proven, sure it's only a small matter, but it's just another to add to the collection. If it's true, he needs some form of sanctions. Whether that means sacking is up to the club to decide, but unless it's an extremely serious incident like the Te Reo/Lacey incident earlier this year, I really don't see why he would be cut loose. A little community service or even showing him what it would be like as a regular Joe Public would be no bad thing for Tim.

bartman

Immortal
skeepe said:
Now, with Todd Carney, you can cry double standards all you like. But they came down extremely hard on him. Suspended for 6 or so weeks. Sent to work in a real estate agent at normal office wages. Community service. Alcohol counselling and ban. Only training part time with the Premier League squad. Basically cut off from the first team altogether. Life would not have been pleasant for Todd during the time.

That sounds like it might stand a chance of helping the situation to me, proivded the situation is proved.

And also maybe the club dishing out a few of these to particular guys for a month if needed:
parra_eels_wenty_jersey.jpg

Hutchy86

Juniors
I refuse to comment further until I hear both sides of the story, AND hear a version which isn't from the Daily Telegraph.

strider

Post Whore
skeepe said:
... Suspended for 6 or so weeks. Sent to work in a real estate agent at normal office wages. Community service. Alcohol counselling and ban. Only training part time with the Premier League squad. Basically cut off from the first team altogether. Life would not have been pleasant for Todd during the time. Now look at the opposite. He's sacked, which hurts for a little bit sure, but he gets a whopping great contract at another club, probably on more coin than he's on now, and is back playing in the NRL the very next week.

omg! real estate agent! :eek: ... just when you thought life was at its lowest, they make u a real estate agent :lol: :lol:

Eelectrica

Referee
Doesn't sound like Timmy did anything bad enough to risk the club losing the opportunity of a premiership over.
Unless Tim Smith damn near kills someone or we have some ready right now to step into his spot, then no way he gets sacked.

carson

Juniors
Hasn't Tim signed a new contract with the eels in the time between his last "final warning" and this little outing? If so, with the demand that was out there for him when he re-signed, can't imagine he would have signed a new contract with a drinking clause in it.

(unless he was drunk when he signed it).