What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial V Mutts

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
ozbash said:
its nothing flash BA, bought it from Harvey Norman, Canon Powershot S315. 6 mega pix.

we just make sure we dont use the digi zoom because they become blurry/grainey.

only cost $500 and you can pick them up much cheaper now.

Really? I'd never have guessed! I mean they're not perfect shots - but unless you have the pro gear that costs upwards of 15grand - you're NEVER gonna get perfection in a photo!

I have a half-decent digi camera already - an EIGHT MP Fuji that cost me about the same as yours - and it takes GREAT still shots...but then, you try and take a photo of anything that's moving faster than an about an octogenarian full of valium, say - and just forget about it! I've tried. Repeatedly. Disastrously!

I have a feeling that the key to all of this is in the lenses - and now I'm thnking also in the zoom function, as you suggest. I obviously need to do some serious research here...thanks anyway mate! :)

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Oh, and while I'm here - Congrats for last week - but we'll getcha next time!!!

And good luck for the season "cuz's"...except for in Round 12. Then you're on your own! ;-)

ozbash

Referee
B.A. Baracus said:
Really? I'd never have guessed! I mean they're not perfect shots - but unless you have the pro gear that costs upwards of 15grand - you're NEVER gonna get perfection in a photo!

I have a half-decent digi camera already - an EIGHT MP Fuji that cost me about the same as yours - and it takes GREAT still shots...but then, you try and take a photo of anything that's moving faster than an about an octogenarian full of valium, say - and just forget about it! I've tried. Repeatedly. Disastrously!

I have a feeling that the key to all of this is in the lenses - and now I'm thnking also in the zoom function, as you suggest. I obviously need to do some serious research here...thanks anyway mate! :)

well theoreticaly you have a technically superior camera than ours. i would suggest checking yr modes ( we basically only use the 'sport' mode because its a high shutter speed) for footy.

best way is to just play with them, take pics of cars going down the road at speed etc, try adjusting your shutter speeds etc.

its quite an interesting exercise.

ozbash

Referee
B.A. Baracus said:
Oh, and while I'm here - Congrats for last week - but we'll getcha next time!!!

And good luck for the season "cuz's"...except for in Round 12. Then you're on your own! ;-)

haha, same to you guys.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
ozbash said:
well theoreticaly you have a technically superior camera than ours. i would suggest checking yr modes ( we basically only use the 'sport' mode because its a high shutter speed) for footy.

best way is to just play with them, take pics of cars going down the road at speed etc, try adjusting your shutter speeds etc.

its quite an interesting exercise.

Yeah we've tried all that - getting the missus to play around & take shots of whatever of my touch footy & soccer games she goes to at times...Also taken it to NRL games myself and sat RIGHT on the fence to take shots - with the same negative result. As xpensive as it was - The damn thing just doesn't seem capable of taking any decent shots of rapidly moving things! :(

Takes a GREAT shot of players bludging on the wing or standing still out in a defensive line though!...If that's your cup of tea! The missus certainly doesn't seem to mind, as long as they are shots of Sonny Bill, Daniel Holdsworth or Reni Maitua! LOL :p

But it's not mine - I want me some ACTION shots!!

Think we definitely need a new camera.....

ozbash

Referee
Think we definitely need a new camera.....

well, this is our 3rd Cannon and i cant speak highly enough of them. we had a sony mavica and the Cannon left it for dead, you get all the features plus, at half the price. you arnt paying for the Sony logo.

The newer Cannons are higher spec,d than ours which is now 12-18 mths old and are actually cheaper...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The key to taking good shots of fast moving subjects is understanding the way your camera works. the three main variables invoved when taking a shot are ISO setting, SHUTTER SPEED and APERTURE SIZE. Most good cameras shouls allow control of all three.
The ISO setting controls the camera's light sensitivity. the higher the setting the more sensitive to light the cameras sensor is, although images become a little noisy. Always use a minimum ISO setting of 400 for action photography, in cloudy conditions you might raise this to 800 and at night even as far as 1600 if you camera allows it.

The faster the shutter speed the better the camera will be able to take photos of fast moving subjects. The catch is that a fast shutter speed also allows less light to enter the lens, which in darker conditions (ie at night games) may not be sufficient to produce a decent image.

The aperture size (often referred to as the f stop number) controls the size of the aperture that lets the light ont othe cameras sensor. The larger the aperture the more light comes in, allowing a faster shutter speed. However a large aperture (low f-stop number) also reduces the depth of field, meaning that objects in front of or behind the object that you are focussing on won't appear as clearly.

For sports photography because you are trying to capture fast moving subjects you genrally want to use the highest possible shutter speed. For this reason the main feature to look for in your camera is a fast lens (low minimum f-stop setting) most cameras will have this printed on the lens (it will say something like "f 2.8 - 5.6", the first number is the important one. 2.8 or lower should give decent results. Note that small compact cameras genrally have pretty small lenses meaning that their maximum aperture size isn't all that large, so they are often not as good as larger cameras for shooting fast moving subjects. They are also less likely to offer as much manual control of camera settings.
To ensure your camera uses the fastest practical shutter speed you need to set the camera to APERTURE PRIORITY mode, this allows you to manually choose the aperture setting and the camera will choose the appropriate shutter speed based on the light levels. Set the aperture as low as possible (say 2.8 or lower) and the camera will automatcally pick the fastest appropriate shutter speed. Many cameras have a preset action photography mode which works in this way and provides good results.
This should do the trick in daylight, however at night the light levels may not be sufficient causing the camera to choose too low a shutter speed. If this is the case you may have to set the camera to SHUTTER PRIORITY mode, and manually experiment with forcing a fast shutter speed. This will likely result in the photo being a bit dark, but you can fix this up in your camera software to a point.

Hope all that made sense and is helpful, any other questions feel free to ask...