What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trips down memory lane

Alba

Coach
OK... sooooo... I have a bit of a problem with living in the past. Every time I'm feeling depressed, or like I just don't want to do this anymore, I close my eyes and mentally transport myself to another time where I was happier! It works for a little bit. Sometimes it gets really overwhelming though. That feeling that you wish you could go back, even if it was just for 5mins.

I am curious, does anyone else do this? It's mostly songs with me. I have a song that reminds me of everything that's ever happened in my life, and I am very sentimental *vomit*... Here are a few thangs of mine:

Burning Bridges- The Mike Curb Congregation (Kelly's Heroes theme song)
It is my Dad's favourite movie and we used to watch it at least once a fortnight and he would sing this song with me because it was my fav <3
[YouTube]WBr2Xh599ZI[/YouTube]

The Wonder of You- Elvis
This was my Dad's song to my Mum.. they used to put it on and dance to it every time they had a few drinks in them and I would just sit and watch them saying "KISS!"
[YouTube]MyrQqmc5UT8[/YouTube]

'O Sole Mio- Luciano Pavarotti
Right up until my Grandfather passed away, he had a daily shaving ritual. 4.30pm sharp, he would turn his opera up so that the neighbours on the next block could enjoy it, and he would mix his shaving cream with his brush and shave while I lay on the bed watching him and listening to the music. It has always relaxed me, because of him. He died 10yrs ago, and it hasn't gotten any easier, my heart still feels like it is broken, knowing I'll never see him again. So, when I want to feel close to him, I lay in the dark, close my eyes, put some Three Tenors on and imagine I was right back there, watching him shave :(
[YouTube]d_mLFHLSULw[/YouTube]

My Boyfriend's back- The Angels
My Mum listens to this sort of music, and this song in particular reminds me of her. One thing that sticks out though, is one day when me and her were dancing to it, I had to be about 11. My 20yr old brother walked in and laughed at us, but then he joined in and was doing the twist. It's something small, but it always brings a smile to my face.
[YouTube]VDZK6LCPMGs[/YouTube]

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
a trip down memory lane is also referred to as your happy place

Alba

Coach
I have several happy places. I've been living in them for awhile now. I need to wake up.

God-King Dean

Immortal
art-353-645111694-200x0.jpg

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i often find myself lookign through photos of the contiki trips i have done where i was probably at my happiest when im feeling like shit.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Don't know how to post the youtube vids but anyway...

Martika - Toy Soldiers. Reminds me of being much younger and carefree.

Tina Turner - We don't need another hero. Pretty much the same, reminds me of my younger days.

James Blunt - Wisemen. Remember this song being played while I was in Egypt (having a late night swim with a chick from my tour group on the roof of our hotel)

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations. This played at my Dad's funeral, while that isn't the best time to go back to, hearing it makes me think of my Dad which makes me happy.

urban eel

Juniors
I find smells and food transport me back a lot.
Certain soap smells. Or particular hair spray scent

Alba

Coach
Yeah, scent does it for me as well.. Cologne/perfume can take me right back to a particular time.

HowHigh

Coach
Yes, I definitely do reminisce on my younger days..life was a much more fun time
It's sorta depressing thinking about it sometimes lol...can never go back to how it was!

Gas Panic!

First Grade
I try not to, but often get sentimental and think of school days, what might have been etc. I suppose we all do.

The smell of peanut butter always makes me think of doubling my sister to school on the handlebars of my pushy. She would eat it every morning and I hated the smell but now it's a good memory.

Alba

Coach
Yes, I definitely do reminisce on my younger days..life was a much more fun time
It's sorta depressing thinking about it sometimes lol...can never go back to how it was!

It IS depressing. Sometimes I get that overwhelming knot in my chest and I just want to cry. Times move way too fast, and I just want to hold on to the times and not let go :(

I try not to, but often get sentimental and think of school days, what might have been etc. I suppose we all do.

Vitamin C- Friends Forever always makes me cry. There will never be a time when I listen to that song with dry eyes. It makes me want to be back in school, sneak out with my friends, go to parties I wasn't allowed to go to.. all when we thought the biggest problem in life was "OMG HE DOESN'T LIKE ME, MY LIFE IS OVER!"

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i do miss playing junior footy, considering i wasnt a very popular kid and kept to myself alot and didnt have many friends the few i did have was because of footy. Having the feeling of being seen and thought of higher then other people around me and hearing the cheers after i just belted somone or ran over the top of them was always the highlight of my week.

One of the greatest memories i have is winning the U/18's GF for runaway bay, would have been one of the best games ive ever played and just left path of destruction behind me. Managed to barge over for the first try from a tap 30m out dragging half the team with me and when we were down by 2 with only a few minutes left and a bomb went up from us that we had all planned to sprint after when there was a stoppage half way through the set.

Everyone most likely remembers the shot crocker put on stewert when he caught the bomb in the GF a few years ago (well brett probably doesnt lol). Picture that but with darius boyd catching it for burleigh. Dead set nailed him and dislodged the ball that got scooped up and after a few passes and ducking and weaving from our 5/8 we scored in the corner and won. Being carred around on the boys shoulders and what was a home GF for us a decent sized crowd cheering me on was just a surreal feeling and the most accepted i'd ever felt. Something that i had and have since always struggled with.

While this was happening they blasted U2s "A beautiful day" on the speaker system and i always smile when i hear it, the next night the cowboys did the impossible and hammered the dogs in their first ever semi final and i recieved a letter to go trial for South Sydneys Sg Ball team. Was a pretty surreal couple of days

Misanthrope

Staff member
I regularly take these trips. I'm of the opinion that the older I've got, the farther from being genuinely happy I've become.

It's morbid to do it, but I look back on my life five or six years ago and I wish I'd been able to pause it there. I wish I hadn't f**ked up promising relationships and cast aside good friendships. I wish I'd been able to commit to being a grown up rather than continuing this silly pursuit of a life of less work and more adventure.

There are days, weeks, and even months where I feel like I made the right decisions. Then there are longer periods where I wonder if I've blown my opportunities and I'm just spinning my wheels until the twist flops.

Dani

Immortal
Does wishing you could erase the past 6 years of your life count as a walk down memory lane?

Latest posts