What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True Detective

elyod138

Bench
The knife practice scene pretty much set up what she does to the big Russian guy later on in the ep. The speed and accuracy with which it happened despite her being choked out and high on "Molly" is reflective of someone who has practiced something so much it was just all reflex and muscle memory

Of all the out of place stuff in this show, this was something that actually made a heap of sense imo

Agreed, of course she practices using her knives, she's obsessed with them and fearful of being overpowered.

It might have worked slightly better if they showed her practicing in an earlier episode so we weren't expecting the scene at the party but I didn't see much wrong with it.

Last edited:

Someone

Bench
Ive enjoyed this season for what it is. Many a flaws yes, still better than most other shows on tv though IMO.

Hopefully Nic doesn't get the wobbles from the bad reviews and gives us one more season.

some11

Referee
As far as Vaughan vs bad writing goes, someone else could still do bad writing a little more convincingly - when you notice how forced someone's expressions are it takes away from the immersion.

gUt

Coach
One problem Vaughan's character faces is at times he sounds like an intellectual, which is fine, but then his words are interspersed with shit like "ain't" for "isn't". It's distracting.

For all its complexity, at least with Season 1 the characters had a clear arc and they interacted naturally. In this series, at least for me, it's so convoluted and every character speaks with the same intense monotone. There's no light and shade.

I really wish this had been the first series. It's not terrible but it can't stand up. I disagree that season 1 was overrated, it was superb on every level.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The knife practice scene pretty much set up what she does to the big Russian guy later on in the ep. The speed and accuracy with which it happened despite her being choked out and high on "Molly" is reflective of someone who has practiced something so much it was just all reflex and muscle memory

Of all the out of place stuff in this show, this was something that actually made a heap of sense imo

It made sense, but it was an obvious and forced plot point for that episode. The whole scene had little context with the rest of the season and it looked stupid

Someone

Bench
That last scene..

I thought velcoro was dead when he hopped in that car.

top notch episode.

Apey

Staff member
My favourite moody staring scenes were back between Farrell & McAdams :lol:

Good episode though. Figured that was going to happen at the end tbh but had no idea who it would be. When Paul first turned up there I thought it was that guy waiting for him actually.

I think I'll need to watch through this season again though. I am hopeless, I just forget who everyone is when watching episodes week apart. Some of the shit in that episode had me thinking "... who's that again?".

Apey

Staff member
... and it just hit me that next week is going to be the finale. f**k that's a lot to wrap up in one episode. I was thinking 10 episodes because of Game of Thrones.

chrisD

Coach
I think I have it all straight.

Firstly what I don't understand is why would the diamonds still be in the wild? The detectives speculated that they would have been sold by the corrupt policemen to buy into Vinci, but whatever, why would someone (Caspar) still be holding them after 20 odd years? Why wouldn't they have been liquidated?

So Birdman is probably the boy orphaned by the diamond robbery now working with his sister on the movie set (and to ruin the bad guys). Him running into Ray I think can be two things. He's there at Caspar's orgy house to try and find diamonds or other incriminating evidence (like the hard drive) when Ray coincidentally shows up. Also coincidentally he happens to have a non lethal weapon on him.

Or after killing Caspar, Birdman is staking out his house at night in the hope one of Caspar's co-conspirators show up to clean up any incriminating evidence Caspar may have been holding. Birdman has the non-lethal shotgun because he's going to catch the person alive and give them the Caspar torture treatment. Someone shows up, Birdman thinks great, shoots them, but then realises it's Ray, who he has nothing against and doesn't want dead because Ray is just investigating the Caspar murder case, he's not one of the shady figures and wasn't involved in killing Birdman's parents.

So I guess my question here is, why is he dressed up like bigbird? If he's just picking random disguises from the movie set that would be pretty stupid.

Someone

Bench
... and it just hit me that next week is going to be the finale. f**k that's a lot to wrap up in one episode. I was thinking 10 episodes because of Game of Thrones.

90 Minute final though.

and the last few episodes have been going 55-60 minutes from memory. I cant remember if season one was this expanded.

elyod138

Bench
Good ending. S2 was better than the vast majority of shows being made IMO.

Completely different tone and structure to S1 so any comparisons are flawed.

Some shitty dialogue (mainly between Frank and his wife) and inconsistent directing is my only gripe.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
*spoilers below*

Ugh I thought the finale was a pretty woeful way to wrap things up. It had been getting progressively better too. There was some real weak dialogue/acting in there, especially the first 15 minutes. I'm not soppy merkin or anything but it was very unsatisfying having all the main characters being miserable, moody doomed-from-the-start merkins for the entire season and then just killing 3/4 of them off, with the other losing pretty much everything.

I wasn't opposed to Frank's arc ending in death. Actually his was probably the most appropriate, but I felt like it was forced; it seemed as if the creator's decided he had to die before they came up with how rather than letting the story flow to that conclusion (http://themultimediamassive.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/65e2a-poochie-slide.jpg?w=300&h=191). Not a fan of Ray's arc ending that way at all. It seemed kind of dumb just to run out in the open like that in the end, even if it was all just a stall for his mobile phone to upload the recording (lol).

All in all I think it just missed the mark with how most of the character's stories concluded.