What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tv deal impact on expansion

Pommy

Coach
There are better candidates to expand to first IMO...

Wellington & Christchurch are relatively small towns without RL pedigrees...

Perth is s better candidate given the size of the city, it's relative wealth and better time zone for Eastern Seaboard TV games..

The positive from having two NZ teams is you could have every 6 or 6.30 (can't remember which time slot it is) Friday night game in NZ which would be much better for fans. I don't see why Perth and NZ 2 need to be mutually exclusive.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The positive from having two NZ teams is you could have every 6 or 6.30 (can't remember which time slot it is) Friday night game in NZ which would be much better for fans. I don't see why Perth and NZ 2 need to be mutually exclusive.

Um, how about because Brisbane 2 will be the 17th team admitted?

You also don't make expansion decisions to create content for what will prove to be unpopular and short lived TV slots that are News Ltd thought bubbles...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Canterbury and West Coast come to mind, South Island strong holds

It's hard to describe a place as a stronghold when it's not the most popular football code in town..

Newcastle and Townsville are what I consider RL strongholds...

Billythekid

First Grade
As much as I want Perth to come in next with Brisbane I think the most important thing is to have a time line in place. Decide which teams are coming in next and when and give a time frame for any more teams down the line. Essentially right now it feels like expansion has been put off indefinitely and that discourages the areas trying to get in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once decided and presuming they are going to a new area they should start by funding three guaranteed games a year there and selling a membership for the future club that includes the three games. You would then see a strong membership base from day one for the new club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once decided and presuming they are going to a new area they should start by funding three guaranteed games a year there and selling a membership for the future club that includes the three games. You would then see a strong membership base from day one for the new club.

CQ Italia

Juniors
indeed lol

Not a fan of this south pacific cyclones, how could they expect people in NZ to embrace a catch all south pacific side like that. I am more in favour of having a side branded like the warriors with no geographical reference and have it based primarily in either Christchurch or wellington with a few games in the major centres outside Auckland each year. Really you want the warriors representing Auckland and the upper north island and a second side representing the balance of the country.

If a second new Zealand side had a Fiji based side as its reserve side in a competition like the NSW cup then that would be a better model for embracing both regions. Maybe one NRL game a year in Fiji could be looked at.

Its all fantasy at this point anyway as reading between the lines the NRL clubs have blocked expansion as they want the whole pie to themselves including revenue, players, pathways just everything FFS

Fiji Bid have already declined the Wellington offer, they're already progressed it had in an ABC interview. Fiji want its own identity and have its own sustainable financial model (without taking money (taxes) away from the people of Fiji)

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Fiji Bid have already declined the Wellington offer, they're already progressed it had in an ABC interview. Fiji want its own identity and have its own sustainable financial model (without taking money (taxes) away from the people of Fiji)

Has anyone told the cyclones bid