What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uh-oh - Fiji v NZ - June 2018 in Syd (Triple Header?) - Denver gooooorn

roughyedspud

Coach
I would love to see someone tell James Graham he couldn’t :)

And if we elect not to pick Sam,Graham,widdop etc choosing instead to play some kids coming through...we'll be accused of not picking our best side and all that nonsense..

Robert B

Juniors
Did anyone notice the heading of the article in the Fiji Sun? The heading is
"Confirmed! Bati V NZ 2".
NZ 2? Could this mean that NZ main team are playing somewhere else that weekend????

roughyedspud

Coach
NZ'A' playing does fall into line with mal wanting Australia 'A' and us wanting the knights to play more games...

Maybe the cook island v Australia 'A' will be added to the campbelltown gig??

Though I'd rather it be taken to the bush as a replacement for city v country...that'll be alright in my book

Pommy

Coach
Did anyone notice the heading of the article in the Fiji Sun? The heading is
"Confirmed! Bati V NZ 2".
NZ 2? Could this mean that NZ main team are playing somewhere else that weekend????

I did notice that but just assumed it was like a sequel to the quarter final.

deluded pom?

Coach
NZ'A' playing does fall into line with mal wanting Australia 'A' and us wanting the knights to play more games...

Maybe the cook island v Australia 'A' will be added to the campbelltown gig??

Though I'd rather it be taken to the bush as a replacement for city v country...that'll be alright in my book
Five minutes ago you had given up on RL.

Coastbloke

Bench
It's worthwhile reminding some people that France pulled out of playing England mid season,cos Catalan pulled their players out...and that when we invented the exiles concept..

So it's all well and good saying we should play France..but will they turn up?

I wasn't aware that was the reason, but that's bad if that is the case.

Another instance where the RLIF failed to step up and remind clubs that their governing bodies are signatories to a governing organisation of the sport, namely the RLIF, that requires clubs to release players for Internationals..

Pretty much no hope for the game until the RLIF grows some..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do they have to apply to the NRL? Surely the RLIF should be the ones who they apply to?

Robert B

Juniors
NRL Clubs need to agree to release players, so needs the clubs backing to go ahead.

Nigel Wood just said that he is still hopeful that the denver game will go ahead. Sounds like no decision has been made yet. A decision either way needs to be made very soon.

roughyedspud

Coach
Or the international sides need to grow a pair and actually enforce the RLIF law that requires players to be released by their clubs for official tests..

The kiwis used it to pressure SL clubs to release players way back in 2002/03 iirc and that's the only time it's been used..

Robert B

Juniors
I know it's been mentioned alot on these forums, but do we know for certain that clubs must release players due to RLIF law? I would be surprised if there was such a law, otherwise denver would have already been announced by now.

roughyedspud

Coach
From 2008

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...cad4085be?sv=b87ad62bc1f478fecc0fc5783455c816

"The Rugby League International Federation's (RLIF) rule states that international selections should take priority over domestic playing requirements.

From 2006 for the mid season GB v NZ test
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10386951

. The England Rugby League boss, Richard Lewis, wrote to all Super League clubs telling them the test took priority and requiring release of all players selected.

And like I said in the early 2000s the NZRL forced the release of Henry & Robbie Paul but I can't find the article to quote from..

The reason why certain laws are written down and published is so they can be bent at will..

milton

Juniors
It’s good that Fiji are getting a test against NZ. They deserve it based on past WC results but NZ rugby league has really missed an opportunity here with Tonga. They could have built on the rivalry and probably almost sell out any stadium in NZ for the game. They are struggling financially and could of had a very profitable test series with Tonga

Robert B

Juniors
Just read that the Fiji NRL are expecting to be playing both NZ and Tonga this year. Sounds like at least one post season match is on the cards...

Last edited: