What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA and Canada to host RLWC2025

Marlins

Juniors
Getting carried away now.

I'm not even that interested in speculating about the details of the event as much as the lead-up.

I want to know what the RLIF actually plans to do grow the game there and promote it so that it has a reasonable chance of success by 2025.

The completes lack of any plan for the game over the next eight years suggests they have nfi.
f**k your all doom n gloom mate

adamkungl

Immortal
We've got 9 years of this to go, it'll burn out pretty quickly until we get some real info to bitch about

jim_57

Staff member
Getting carried away now.

I'm not even that interested in speculating about the details of the event as much as the lead-up.

I want to know what the RLIF actually plans to do grow the game there and promote it so that it has a reasonable chance of success by 2025.

The completes lack of any plan for the game over the next eight years suggests they have nfi.

Moore sports are in charge of the event so hopefully they can put on a great tournament. Like you say though, the lead up years are a worry, with the RLIF still umming and ahhing about the schedule beyond 2017. If they go with these tour years the odd team out should be touring North America plus World 9's etc. Maybe move the Pacific Double header to Hawaii. The options are endless, whether any will be taken or the game will just sit on its hands and think everything will fall in to place remains to be seen.

I just don't get how they can give them the World Cup, say they'll be putting effort into growing the game there and then have no plan in place that actually does this.

It's like the NRL scrapping city-country because there are other things they can do to support the game in the bush...but they're not actually planning these things. Oh, great.

Your not worth a decent post. I could tell you a whole page worth things that RL has improved in in the last 10 years and the great things to come but why bother.
Ok. Awesome. Much better to keep posting things like this instead. I mean, we're all busy people. You wouldn't want to waste your time posting something pointless eh?

God-King Dean

Immortal
images

Original. And once again, highly informative.

Why does the internatinal section have to attract the trolls right at the time it's actually full of worthwhile discussions?

Marlins

Juniors
Original. And once again, highly informative.

Why does the internatinal section have to attract the trolls right at the time it's actually full of worthwhile discussions?
It is the problem is your constant negative opinion with no constructive ideas.

Last Week

Bench
Harsh on ECT here. He's raising some very valid points.

What ground work will they be doing over the next 9 years to ensure this tournament is a success? It's not as if our administration hasn't let the game down before.

It is the problem is your constant negative opinion with no constructive ideas.
I've put plenty of ideas out there. What the f**k have you added? Let's see...you made a comment about me, then said it wasn't worth posting anything (whilst posting something) and then made another comment about me. Yeah you're a really valued contributor. I hope you don't f**k off and stick to your word about not posting anything. That would suck.

RedVee

First Grade
Excellent and exciting news.
I think that you would expect at least 1 game in Hawaii, with a Polynesian country playing, and maybe a similar game in Utah?
And a few in the buildup years.

jim_57

Staff member
Excellent and exciting news.
I think that you would expect at least 1 game in Hawaii, with a Polynesian country playing, and maybe a similar game in Utah?
And a few in the buildup years.

Hawaii is a strange one, seems to be overlooked but there is massive potential there IMO. An NRL trial is being held there IIRC as well as the annual Aloha Cup. Staging some big tests there could definitely work.

Last Week

Bench
Hawaii is a strange one, seems to be overlooked but there is massive potential there IMO. An NRL trial is being held there IIRC as well as the annual Aloha Cup. Staging some big tests there could definitely work.

There is a strong islander population there. Tonga and Samoa would draw plenty of interest. Of course, so would the USA.

Marlins

Juniors
I've put plenty of ideas out there. What the f**k have you added? Let's see...you made a comment about me, then said it wasn't worth posting anything (whilst posting something) and then made another comment about me. Yeah you're a really valued contributor. I hope you don't f**k off and stick to your word about not posting anything. That would suck.
Ok maybe I was abit harsh to you mate I'm just more of a positive thinker and try to look on the brighter side of things. As for things that have Been done in the last 10 years for international RL and the things to come -
- more Polynesian players play more league then ever before with more setup in the areas then ever for further development. Hopefully with a successful bid by Fiji/Bati into the new look NswCup this will only improve.
- the inclusion of more matches between the South Pacific islands every year has increased the popularity and quality of the players.
- hunters side in the Qcup has done great things for PNG with a new stadium built and requesting more money for expansion. For the first time PNG will have WCup matches played in there country.
- a Canadian team set to join the 3rd division in the U.K. And also the WC being hosted in North America.
I could not have imagined this 10 years ago and I'm sure there's many things I've missed.

But what have any of those things got to do with RL admin and the RLIF in particular? They're pretty much all things that have happened organically or as a result of individuals or groups well away from the RLIF.

Polynesians en masse tells you more about immigration to western Sydney than anything else. And things like Fiji's NSW cup side (which the NSWRL still hasn't decided on) and the Hunters are down to people from those countries. Same with the Wolfpack.

What have the RLIF or even the big national RLs done? Not much. Now they've made easily the biggest decision ever, which is extraordinary, but have backed it up at the first opportunity with...nothing. If they think they can hand the WC to North America and then sit on their arse for five or six years making up the rest of the calendar on the hop we're in a fair bit of shit because the success of 2025, and therefore probably the whole future of the game, needs a concerted, collaborative, systematic approach. And not starting in 2022 or 2023. It has to start right now.

This mantra that we have to happy with what we have and that just because the game appears bigger in some ways than it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago should be enough for us and we have to give any incompetence or inaction a free pass is ludicrous. The sport should be 100 times bigger than it was years ago. It's incompetence and inaction that has prevented that. And we're still seeing it.

jim_57

Staff member
But what have any of those things got to do with RL admin and the RLIF in particular? They're pretty much all things that have happened organically or as a result of individuals or groups well away from the RLIF.

Polynesians en masse tells you more about immigration to western Sydney than anything else. And things like Fiji's NSW cup side (which the NSWRL still hasn't decided on) and the Hunters are down to people from those countries. Same with the Wolfpack.

What have the RLIF or even the big national RLs done? Not much. Now they've made easily the biggest decision ever, which is extraordinary, but have backed it up at the first opportunity with...nothing. If they think they can hand the WC to North America and then sit on their arse for five or six years making up the rest of the calendar on the hop we're in a fair bit of shit because the success of 2025, and therefore probably the whole future of the game, needs a concerted, collaborative, systematic approach. And not starting in 2022 or 2023. It has to start right now.

This mantra that we have to happy with what we have and that just because the game appears bigger in some ways than it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago should be enough for us and we have to give any incompetence or inaction a free pass is ludicrous. The sport should be 100 times bigger than it was years ago. It's incompetence and inaction that has prevented that. And we're still seeing it.

Exactly, then there's parties of people like Perth, Brisbane 2, Central Coast and Toulouse in the Northern Hemisphere who are kept in the box because of NRL & RFL's fear of their own current clubs.

2nd division expansion & an increase in islander players is progress but it isn't great progress. It's an easy option only "taken" by the powers that be because of a few ambitious 3rd parties and some clubs seeing the value in scouting the Pacific (although this still doesn't happen nearly as much as it should).

docbrown

Coach
Let's say the US-Canada WC is successful. You've created a niche market of rugby league fans.

But if there is no decent domestic league in place - and I mean something far better than even what higher tier countries like New Zealand & France have in place - then the following year what do all those new supporters do? They're not going to watch park football en masse.

And that's why venue selection will probably need to be dictated by what's going on domestically. If there is a pro league or even plans for a pro league by then the cities or regions involved will pretty much have to get games over somewhere that isn't. Hopefully we can lock in Toronto on that basis but they haven't played a game yet. After 2021 the picture might be clearer. I've seen a few people listing Jacksonville and Philadelphia on the basis of their USARL clubs and hopefully those areas will continue to be at the forefront of the domestic game in the US going forward, but you never know.

Quite frankly, Canada could overtake the US in coming years on the back of the Wolfpack, solid amateur growth, plans for the women's game, arguably stronger Union scene, being ignored by the pro Union comp etc and it might even make more sense to give Canada more games than we might have otherwise. It's all way too early to tell, but it definitely has to be linked to the domestic game, and by the same token the domestic development has to set the game up to take advantage of the WC. That's why it needs a focused and coordinated effort, starting asap.

Latest posts