What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA WCQ squad

Fatwing15

Juniors
"Domestic should be defined as having played club football at any level in that country for 2 years."

I would not like to see 13 guys on the field who only meet the requirement above. I understand that in order to qualify and be competitive, a national team must have a certain level of talent and experience, but I think that there are truly American players that can play certain positions and be competitive. I probably have a biased point of view because I have friends and team mates that I feel should be representing our country and I would hate to see 8 guys on the field with Australian accents just because they played here a couple years.

The truly domestic player pool (don't ask me to define this) that the coaches have to pick from does have a bunch of talented and experienced players in the pack, centers and wing. The area where domestic players are really over matched is at the play maker positions, and I think we saw that in the colonial cup.

I still think the Fight are a little over represented on this team since they were not even in the grand final. However, please don't ask me to suggest which players should be removed, as they are all excellent players whom I have a ton of respect for.

I must say, this time around I think they will have a much bigger impact playing with more of these "imported" eligible players. I'm pretty sure that I have played against all of the Fight guys at some point (and each of them are MUCH better players than I am) and when they are at their best they are playing a support roll with experienced import/exempt players guiding them around the field from a tactical perspective allowing a guy like Lowery to use his speed, athleticism and instincts to get that ball in space and finish. This may factor into the selection process. (Some of the Sharks' best athletes wouldn't know what to do with a good pass actually putting them through a hole... Lol )

I wonder if Henson be playing in the halves or if he will move back to 9, I believe he played 9 each time I played against him.

I wish this roster list included positions that these guys play.

I'm also curious as to where other former Tomahawks like Akarika Dawn, Garvey, Apple Pope, Craig Priestly,
Gereth Bexendale, Bucko, Misepika Bros. Luke Hume ect... Would fit on this team. (Not sure if any of these guys still play)

Does any one know how many foreign players play for the USA EAGLES?

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
And you base your expert opinion of the sporting and government landscape on MAINLAND USA on what exactly? Pretty sure it is not the amount of time you have spent here.

You guys enjoy sorting it all out to have all the "grandparent players" you like in your WC of Aussie player based teams.

My time in the sport in the USA will be over as of January 22nd.

Have fun!

I don't think I was making a comment critical of the efforts in the USA, simply making an observation and questioning the RLIF's efforts.

SJR

Juniors
The NRL isn't interested in funding emerging nations so the RLWC has to interest TV corporates and crowds. Even Samoa v Tonga and PNG v Fiji at $10 a ticket featuring the Aussie NRL stars only drew around 10,000 this year.

gyallop I agree that the NRL isn't interested in funding emerging nations. They can't see the forest for the trees unfortunately.

As for your comments re the crowd for the Pacific tests. Yes that is disappointing but you have to remember that the matches were on the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is a wasteland for defunct sporting teams:
NRL - Giants, Chargers, Seagulls and Titans are being propped up by the NRL.
NBL - Cougars, Rollers and Blaze.
A League - Gold Coast United.
AFL - Brisbane Bears were originally based on Gold Coast and then relocated to Brisbane

So I'd say there is a lack of genuine support for sports on the Gold Coast.

league13

Juniors
I f your leaving the game Spinner just like to wish you all the best,you have been a great servant of the USARL and League in general. No doubt posters on this board will miss your comments.I know I will miss being kept up to date on the happenings over there.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
It seems most posters are fans of a national teams being picked from the domestic national comp with a limited number of pros playing in foreign comps... a bit like the ARU policy.

Each nation is free to make its own policy but only Australia and England wouldn't be too harmed by that. NZ are picked from NRL and SL so they would be weakened as would the rest of the top 10 nations some of whom have very limited domestic comps.
How does the sit with trying to make Test football the pinnacle again.

i think for normal matches against canada or what ever, only players who play in the usarl should be picked, but when it comes to the world cup or world cup qualifiers, then they should allow heritage players, or players who are playing overseas, and the number allowed shouldn't be limited. i would have thought some playing in the usarl would make the team anyway. if not many can, then it just means they aren't ready yet, but gradually more and more should make the team

paulmac

Juniors
Spinner - I would like to echo league13's sentiments.The game in the states wouldn't be where it is today without your efforts.You are a true RL man.Good luck in the future.

Latest posts