What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USARL scores 'n' stuff 2017

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
A few from union who'd felt disengaged with sevens but a few have returned. Mainly facebook mate, a combination of reaching new people and the hohaia effect. It's hard to pin one method down mate but I think being in the area for a few years now, we're hitting friends of friends consistently, little efforts like that. Tbh I don't think our teams the best it's been in the three years I've been involved but it's probably the deepest squad. Take out the retired guys from injuries, we've also got 3 from the starting 13 missing through injury, dropped 2 for a lack of effort getting to practice and we'll still go OKAY this weekend imo

In previous years players knew their place was safe but now it's not. Three of tomorrow's squad are new to rugby league this season and we've a few more to introduce yet. They'll all get a game when the time is right but as of now, the best trainers and hardest workers are being rewarded with jerseys even if they're not the best players

deluded pom?

Coach
A few from union who'd felt disengaged with sevens but a few have returned. Mainly facebook mate, a combination of reaching new people and the hohaia effect. It's hard to pin one method down mate but I think being in the area for a few years now, we're hitting friends of friends consistently, little efforts like that. Tbh I don't think our teams the best it's been in the three years I've been involved but it's probably the deepest squad. Take out the retired guys from injuries, we've also got 3 from the starting 13 missing through injury, dropped 2 for a lack of effort getting to practice and we'll still go OKAY this weekend imo

In previous years players knew their place was safe but now it's not. Three of tomorrow's squad are new to rugby league this season and we've a few more to introduce yet. They'll all get a game when the time is right but as of now, the best trainers and hardest workers are being rewarded with jerseys even if they're not the best players
Best way to go. Let the players know they're not guaranteed a starting spot unless they put the effort in at training. It would be better if you could get some reserve grade matches going even if it's only 9s to begin with. At least it would give the fringe players some game time.

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Best way to go. Let the players know they're not guaranteed a starting spot unless they put the effort in at training. It would be better if you could get some reserve grade matches going even if it's only 9s to begin with. At least it would give the fringe players some game time.

That was and is still the intention. We're just a bit thin on the ground atm unfortunately

deluded pom?

Coach
Would it be possible to have some of the guys who are part of the first 17 involved in a 9s match to help make up the numbers? They could play maybe fifteen minutes of the 9s before taking a spot on the bench, giving them more recovery time, for the main game. Or are you struggling to fill 17 places for the first team?

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Would it be possible to have some of the guys who are part of the first 17 involved in a 9s match to help make up the numbers? They could play maybe fifteen minutes of the 9s before taking a spot on the bench, giving them more recovery time, for the main game. Or are you struggling to fill 17 places for the first team?

Nah mate match day 17 never looks in doubt, we're just stuck in that rut of plenty for your match day squad, not QUITE enough for a reserves to cover injuries in warm ups etc. If we hadn't of lost three guys just before the season and have a few on the injury list we'd have reserves this week I think; just not QUITE enough

Unfortunately that won't work mate. It's not like here, it's just too hot and demanding out there. Our players are losing nearly two kilos in the warm up that we're pile driving them full of potassium, sodium et al. We once in 2015 had a game where one or two players had snuck and played in a really important sevens game that morning for their union club. Neither player made it through the league game that afternoon (five hours later), here you can get away with it, there you can't.

deluded pom?

Coach
Fair comment. Unless you can rotate the squad and give the majority a fair share of game time it will be difficult to keep the fringe players interested whereas a few more new players would allow you to play a reserve game, even if it's 9s and the opposition is there. Do you have any idea what the situation is at the other Southern Conference teams with regard to possibly playing reserve matches?

Last edited:

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Fair comment. Unless you can rotate the squad and give the majority a fair share of game time it will be difficult to keep the fringe players interested whereas a few more new players would allow you to play a reserve game, even if it's 9s and the opposition is there. Do you have any idea what the situation is at the other Southern Conference teams with regard to possibly playing reserve matches?

I think we're probably the ones letting the side down in that regard tbh mate. I know ATL and jax had a reserve game during the Nines tournament to give theteams a breather. I'm pretty sure the other teams have the players, I know ATL do and jax for sure. We're just rotating the squad and making sure we get players game time, not sure if you're aware but there's a usarl rule which states you can't play in the playoffs unless you've played three regular season games so it's vitally important you rotate and qualify people.

You asked about facebook earlier, here's ours, have a look. It's more laid back than a website tbh with videos and photos etc

https://www.facebook.com/MayhemRL/

deluded pom?

Coach
Is there a chance of the Mayhem borrowing a couple of players from your opposition to give you enough to play a game?

White Plains 92 Rhode Island 0.

And Delaware who had 90 put on them last week have just beaten the national champions 40-28.

Jacksonville 42 Central Florida 10.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
Information is still hard to come by even on FB and Twitter. Scores and league standings even from last week, not updated on the main USARL website. Poor effort.

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Information is still hard to come by even on FB and Twitter. Scores and league standings even from last week, not updated on the main USARL website. Poor effort.

Can't argue with that tbf mate. Went on earlier and results weren't posted. The longer they take posting our shocker from the weekend the better like :D

deluded pom?

Coach
They've finally updated the standings but a typo has Delaware down as only having played one match yet everyone else is listed as played two.